Directv new Satellites question

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 22, 2005 2:50:54 PM

I'm looking at buying a house with a full DTV setup.

Including the Tivo HD DVR.

Can anyone explain what will happen when DTV launches the new
Mpeg4 sats? Will the existing setup work? Will I need to replace all
the equipment or just some of it? Will the DVR not work for those
channels in Mpeg4?

I know there is probably not a simple answer to all this so if anyone
could point me to a web site that discuses this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Steve
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 9:05:27 PM

"Steven" <st@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking at buying a house with a full DTV setup.
>
> Including the Tivo HD DVR.
>
> Can anyone explain what will happen when DTV launches the new
> Mpeg4 sats? Will the existing setup work? Will I need to replace all
> the equipment or just some of it? Will the DVR not work for those
> channels in Mpeg4?
>
> I know there is probably not a simple answer to all this so if anyone
> could point me to a web site that discuses this I'd appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
> Steve

It sounds to me that it won't pick up the local channels at first, but then
they'll eventually get around switching the HBO, SHO, Universal, etc to
mpeg4 and then you'll be back to SD only channels again.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 11:59:08 PM

Get the codes off of the recievers and call Direct and see if there is
a ton of PPV not paid for.. Could be they have never been connected
to the phone line..
Better yet have them leave the dish and get your own hardware usually
for free for first time customers, sign up single not as husband &
wife. You only get on chance at the free hardware.........

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:50:54 -0400, Steven <st@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm looking at buying a house with a full DTV setup.
>
>Including the Tivo HD DVR.
>
>Can anyone explain what will happen when DTV launches the new
>Mpeg4 sats? Will the existing setup work? Will I need to replace all
>the equipment or just some of it? Will the DVR not work for those
>channels in Mpeg4?
>
>I know there is probably not a simple answer to all this so if anyone
>could point me to a web site that discuses this I'd appreciate it.
>
>Thanks
>Steve
Related resources
May 18, 2005 2:59:12 AM

I recently got this semi-cryptic response from DirecTV on that question
(also posted is some text from their web site). I say 'semi-cryptic'
because I asked about HD programming, not just HD local programming...

"Thanks for asking about HD local programming. As our TV commercials
mention, DIRECTV is getting ready to offer HD programming from local
channels in select cities. We expect to be serving at least 12 cities by the
end of this year, and then gradually expanding our coverage to more and more
cities across the country over the next two years.

The first 12 cities are Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston,
Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Tampa and Washington,
D.C. Additional cities will be announced at a future date. The channels we
offer will carry a mix of digital standard-definition and HD programming.

Our goal is eventually to offer HD programming from local channels to nearly
every home we serve in the United States. And that's not all. We will also
be adding the capacity to carry more than 150 national HD channels as they
become available.

To accomplish this, we're launching four new satellites (the first one
launched in late April). When the first two satellites are fully deployed
later this year, they will allow us to deliver programming using a new
transmission standard, which is the most advanced in the world. Customers
will need a new HD receiver and satellite dish, compatible with the new
transmission standard, to receive HD programming from local channels and
other enhanced services. We don't have purchase or upgrade offer details for
the new equipment at this time, but look for more details in the mail or on
DIRECTV.com/HDTV as we get closer to launching local programming in HD in
your city.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com/HDTV for the latest
news and announcements as they become available.

Sincerely,

Frederick
DIRECTV Customer Service"
*****************************
From the website:

"We are moving quickly to enhance our service and in the coming months
we will have launched three new satellites that will greatly expand our
capacity and enable us to introduce an array of compelling new
programming services, including additional local channels in
high-definition format. We will roll out our new interactive digital
video recorder in the summer, followed shortly thereafter by the launch
of a suite of enhanced new services for our exclusive NFL SUNDAY
TICKET(TM) package. Additionally, around the end of the year we will
introduce the DIRECTV Home Media Center. We believe that the
enhancements we are making to our service, coupled with our ongoing
efforts to further improve DIRECTV's industry-leading customer service,
will bring us closer to our goal of making DIRECTV the best television
experience in the world."

"Michael Walker" <mike1977@despammed.com> wrote in message
> "Steven" <st@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm looking at buying a house with a full DTV setup.
>>
>> Including the Tivo HD DVR.
>>
>> Can anyone explain what will happen when DTV launches the new
>> Mpeg4 sats? Will the existing setup work? Will I need to replace all
>> the equipment or just some of it? Will the DVR not work for those
>> channels in Mpeg4?
>>
>> I know there is probably not a simple answer to all this so if anyone
>> could point me to a web site that discuses this I'd appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Steve
>
> It sounds to me that it won't pick up the local channels at first, but
> then they'll eventually get around switching the HBO, SHO, Universal, etc
> to mpeg4 and then you'll be back to SD only channels again.

October 23, 2009 9:44:45 AM

From my point of view,its basically depend on service provider because some of the provider done upgradation in their service and some not.Some launch new set top box for this.
!