After a while windows applications stops working

ozephyero

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hi,

I don't know whether or anyone has encountered this problem. The problem seems to be after using Windows for awhile (from several minutes to several hours) my computer gets into a state that any applications that I try to open doesn't come up. I can not even open any folders. I can still move the mouse and left click. Windows recognizes a double click, but the application doesn't open. If I have taskmgr open, I notice that CPU utilization spikes when I double click, so Windows recognizes the double click but doesn't do anything after wards. The start menu also comes up when I click, but anything on the start menu such as control panel, run and even shutdown doesn't work.

In order to get around this for a little while, I have to do a shutdown by pushing the power button.

Thanks,

A

Sounds to me like your computer may be infected with malware/virus.
Computers don't just slow down, the longer they run.
1) backup any personal files you have immediately.

When is last time you did a hard drive cleanup ?

2) Run a disk cleanup, or run utility ccleaner.
3) Download & run a utility "RKILL" (kills known malicious resources that may be running on your system that may prevent the following from running).

4) Then, run your anti virus scan to see if it finds infections.
Recommend running Malwarebytes scans also. :hello:

Post back your findings ! :eek:

ozephyero

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Thank for the reply,

However, I do not think this is a virus/malware issue. I've already ran through a couple of anti virus and anti spyware/maleware programs. I did Mcfee, kaspersky, ad-aware and malwarebyte. Nothing came up. I also went through chkdsk to see if there's anything wrong there but it passed as well.

In my original post, I am not implying that my computer became slower. The symptom is that after running the computer from several minutes to even hours, no windows commands will seem to work and applications don't open. The interesting thing is that windows recognizes the attempt. I can double click on an mp3 file and windows will seem to want to open it but doesn't.

I've already gone through the windows system restore and that didn't seem to fix it. I'm running out of ideas. I'm hoping that someone has seen this behavior before. The next thing I had in mind is an OS restore, but I'm hoping there's something else I can do instead.

ozephyero

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Yes, I've done that. Resources and CPU utilization seems fine. In fact when the symptoms exist, double clicking on an application will cause the cpu to spike leading me to believe that windows recognizes the command even though nothing happens after wards. I'm probably going to try restoring the OS. I hope this is just a windows issue and not a hard drive issue. I've had this comp for 8 or so years.

Have you tried system file checker from CMD prompt ?

ozephyero

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Yes I've tried that but I didn't see any errors.

I ran through a pckeeper run and so far the computer had lasted a day without that issue. Don't know if it's the pckeeper chkdsk, or defrag. Maybe I'm just lucky so far :D