• Sound Cards
  • Audio
  • Computer
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 12, 2009 1:21:48 PM

Hey guys!
I have the abit fatal1ty fp-in9 650i sli motherboard.... It has 7.1 onboard audio..... Okay so i compared the 650i audio to an old hp computer from 2005 (a1000n) which had cheap 5.1 onboard audio.... The difference was big!!! my 650i killed it! even with expensive speakers the old computer sounded bad.... while the 650i motherboard sounded great! Ive read a LOT of reviews and so far all of them said they heard much better quality.... so im thinking, those must sound truly crystal clear! Okay so sound quality is not the main reason i need a sound card.... i want one for better performance in games.... i can not push my e5200 harder on the 650i and the 9600gso is giving it all! so i can ply crysis 1280x1024 medium avg 45fps, 1280x1024 high avg25, 1024x768 high avg35 fps, so would a new sound card give my 5 fps or so? here another thing, ive read theres barely a dif with pci and pcie... the old a1000n only has pci so i want to buy it for my computer first see how it goes then later buy one for the ol computer.... im really tite on cash so heres what i found...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

thanks!

More about : 650i onboard pci pci express sound card

August 12, 2009 2:04:08 PM

both sucks, if you are looking at those, onboard is imo a better option.... they won't raise FPS much, if any...

if you went with some really nice ones (no creative, they are a basted of a company for driver lol) then you will def get better sound quality, but not much performance inc in games.
m
l
August 12, 2009 2:15:20 PM

theholylancer said:
both sucks, if you are looking at those, onboard is imo a better option.... they won't raise FPS much, if any...

if you went with some really nice ones (no creative, they are a basted of a company for driver lol) then you will def get better sound quality, but not much performance inc in games.

but a lot of people said they do raise fps!!!! sumtimes a lot! i was looking at creative and they are cheap but look good, to bad u said theres trouble with drivers...

can u guys plzzz give me sum options!!!! anything below $30 that is 7.1 and pci that will sound better than the 650i onboard sound and give at least 2 fps extra!
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2009 2:22:37 PM

err dude, with a e5200 as the CPU, you will likely not see any difference, I didn't saw any on my old A64 (think Pentium 4 era amd cpu) with even a SB audgy card, I suspect the e5200 will not either...

now, if you grabbed a Pentium III 550 with on board sound from say VIA, and play a high quality mp3 or even better monkey's audio, prepare to be amazed!!
m
l
August 12, 2009 4:26:17 PM

theholylancer said:
err dude, with a e5200 as the CPU, you will likely not see any difference, I didn't saw any on my old A64 (think Pentium 4 era amd cpu) with even a SB audgy card, I suspect the e5200 will not either...

now, if you grabbed a Pentium III 550 with on board sound from say VIA, and play a high quality mp3 or even better monkey's audio, prepare to be amazed!!

okay thanks so far m8! so apart from performance what would be the difference in quality? In games would it sound more realistic?

okay the old computer is on a celeron d..... do u think there would be a performance boost??

Thanks Theholylancer!
m
l

Best solution

August 12, 2009 5:16:31 PM

Np dude, glad to help.

there will be difference in quality if you are a audiphile, the recent built in audio is good enough unless if you have some Z-5500 or above deal and actually have them placed correctly in your room and knows what to look (listen) for, if you can tell the difference between monkey's audio (.ape) and 320 kb non-variable bit rate double pass mp3 then you are the type of the person whom will need a new sound card, and one that is 200 or 300 dollars.

celeron D? if they are the Pentium D like (the two presshot on a die deal) then they shouldn't even see it, all duo cores shouldn't see any improvement, and you need to go back when the integrated sound solutions were absolute *** (some VIA chipsets had issues) in order for you to hear any difference.

but which celeron is it? if its a Pentium 4 like that is branded the "D" then it may see improvement, but I think to really see something you have to have Pentium III hardware with on-board sound.

August 12, 2009 5:48:51 PM

theholylancer said:
Np dude, glad to help.

there will be difference in quality if you are a audiphile, the recent built in audio is good enough unless if you have some Z-5500 or above deal and actually have them placed correctly in your room and knows what to look (listen) for, if you can tell the difference between monkey's audio (.ape) and 320 kb non-variable bit rate double pass mp3 then you are the type of the person whom will need a new sound card, and one that is 200 or 300 dollars.

celeron D? if they are the Pentium D like (the two presshot on a die deal) then they shouldn't even see it, all duo cores shouldn't see any improvement, and you need to go back when the integrated sound solutions were absolute *** (some VIA chipsets had issues) in order for you to hear any difference.

but which celeron is it? if its a Pentium 4 like that is branded the "D" then it may see improvement, but I think to really see something you have to have Pentium III hardware with on-board sound.

well okay so im not buying a sound card! lol
thanks!!!!!! I wish i had the z5500! lol i have the tiny x240! but i live in a apartment so its fine anyways i can hear my sub tiny 3 inch sub pounding from outside even on 20% volume, so i just wanted to see if a sound card would sound better but i guess not... thanks !!!!
m
l
August 12, 2009 6:32:40 PM

Alright glad to help.

x240s will not see any benefits from a new card lol
m
l
June 26, 2010 1:56:03 PM

Best answer selected by neonzion.
m
l
!