Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which Cpu Cooler Should i get?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2011 3:27:10 AM

Hi i am building a sandy bridges 2500k system after the re release of the new chip sets. I will be most likely getting the asus p67 pro or the Asrock extreme 4 with maybe some ripjaws x ram. I will be overclocking my cpu so i was wondering should i get the Corsair H70 for 75$ or should another cooler? All help is appreciated thanks!!

More about : cpu cooler

March 3, 2011 3:47:42 AM

You can get an H70 for $75??? The cheapest I see them is for $95. Just be aware, for many people to get one of these units working really well in overclocking scenarios you end up paying another good $20 for better fans for push-pull though the radiator.

If you want top end cooling without assembling your own water cooling system the Noctua NH-D14 is widely accepted as better value for money.
m
l
March 3, 2011 3:59:55 AM

I use a Thermaltake Frio and I love it! Installation is a hassle and make sure your case is large enough to fit though
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2011 10:30:02 AM

Why take water cooling on a Sandy Bridge build? WHY?

You can attain 5GHz from the 2500K on an air cooler, without going extreme. For simple to enthusiastic overclocking I'll recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + with two high speed LED fans fitted in place of the one stock fan. The cooler takes two 120mm fans with ease (and with included brackets), so you can have the best value-for-money cooler upgraded with two awesome fans for under $50. Also then you wouldn't have the problem with the maintanence on a liquid cooling system, there would be no dangers from leakage and you'd be able to OC to your hearts' content.

Honestly, one of the most epic features of the 2500K is it's ability to be overclocked whilst staying cool. The 3.33GHz 2500K can easily be overclocked to around 4.2GHz~4.3GHz on the STOCK cooler without any danger of overheating.

Stay with air cooling, it's safer and works well on the Sandy Bridge architecture.
m
l
March 3, 2011 10:30:57 AM

h70 is junk
get the prolimatech megahalems, thermalright venemous x, thermalright archon or scythe mugen
all of those will wreck the H70 and will be cheaper
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 328 K Overclocking
March 3, 2011 12:55:40 PM

Quote:
Why take water cooling on a Sandy Bridge build? WHY?

H70 isn't real watercooling. And, what do you have against watercooling? I've done it for almost 9 years...not a single issue.

Quote:
two high speed LED fans fitted in place of the one stock fan

Why LED? Not everyone likes the cheap glow from LED fans. It looks like someone with a Honda Civic putting those glow tubes under their car...
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
March 3, 2011 3:23:29 PM

Yep! a CM212+ would be fine and is also compatible with Ripjaws all dimms filled.
m
l
March 3, 2011 9:02:05 PM

so should i get a
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus for 20$ or a
Corsair A50 for 15$ or a
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro REV.2 CPU Heatsink Cooler for 20$ or
Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 Passive VGA Cooler 20$
m
l
March 3, 2011 9:12:12 PM

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus for $20
m
l
March 3, 2011 9:44:44 PM

if i get the hyper 212 will i have to buy any fans to upgrade it? or will the ones it come with be good enough?
m
l
March 3, 2011 10:03:23 PM

i think the stock fans will be enough for a nice chunky overclock
changing fans will be a good idea if you want better temps
ultimately, it's up to you
better fans will at most get you 5 degrees lower temps
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 10:34:32 AM

a-p-p-l-e-s said:
if i get the hyper 212 will i have to buy any fans to upgrade it? or will the ones it come with be good enough?

It comes with only 1 fan fitted.

The fitted fan is HUGE, a 120mm monster.

I just (literally like 30 minutes ago) received mine at the office, and it really looks impressive. The profile of the cooler is about the size of a standard CD case, but it stands taller. Dimensions are at standing 116mm x 51mm x 159mm just for the heatsink. The fan increases the width to 120mm, and the thickness to 76mm. Axtra fan is another 25mm, making it a big fat 101mm thick, excluding the mounting bracket and vibration pads in the calculation. Clears most things on the MB with ease. I'm fitting an extra 120mm fan (blue LED, I quite like the "cheap glow of LED's" :D ) to the cooler, as I'm going to OC my Q8400 quite a lot (planning on a 30% speed increase).

It looks ok without the extra fan, but the heatsink looks a bit "incomplete" without the second fan. With it though, it looks monsterous.

Ships with thermal paste (obviously), screws and mounting bracket for another 120mm fan, extra mounting screws, motherboard mount and retention plate for all sockets (LGA775, LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA1366, AM2, AM2+, AM3), instruction booklet and warranty leaflet.

Cooler is surprisingly light for it's size, weighing in at 626g, all inclusive. Extra fan is 116g, so keep it in mind if you transport your PC a lot to LANs or things.

The fan it comes with is a good enough, 120mm silent (13dBA @ silent mode) fan, moving anything from 21.2CFM (600RPM) to 76.8CFM (2000RPM). This is where the extra fan comes in, the recommended fan moves 90CFM at the same speed as the stock fan (2000RPM), so I'm feeling more and more confident about the fan upgrade. I guess it will work just fine without the upgrade though, so no need for not trying first. And at the price, you can really afford another fan if it gets needed.

I'm sorry for the entire review, but I'm quite excited to test it out.

Hope it helped though?

:D 
March 4, 2011 12:24:47 PM

Best answer selected by a-p-p-l-e-s.
m
l
March 4, 2011 12:25:11 PM

so i can just get any 120mm fan and put it on the cooler?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 2:37:47 AM

Noctua imo is the best for it's price because they come with quality fans. The fans alone on the Noctua are $25 per fan so if you get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and install those Noctua fans, you'll actually be paying more then if you just bought the Noctua heatsink. $30 Cooler Master 212, $50 2 Noctua fans vs Noctua NH-U12P $65 with 2 fans. You can even say that with the Noctua NH-D14, the NH-D14 will actually be cheaper for $74.99 vs $80 on the cooler master with noctua fans in push pull.
m
l
!