Sign in with
Your question

H70 to X58 mainboard

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2011 3:50:41 AM

Has anyone connected a Corsair H70 CPU cooler to the Asus Sabertooth X58? The reason i ask is that i've connected the 3 pin pump connector to the 4 pin CPU fan connector on the motherboard & i'm hoping it's giving 100% (12volts). Is there anyway to find out & make sure that its getting 100% as i know there is a programme, (Fan Xpert, i think) that automatically reduces/increases the fan speed accordingly, which i don't want to happen. Also can anyone see any problems in connecting the 3 pin pump connector on the CPU cooler to the 4pin connector on the motherboard? Thanks.

More about : h70 x58 mainboard

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2011 9:50:00 AM

While I have not used the two items together, I can provide some insight:

The 3-pin fan connector does not allow for RPM changes (unless your motherboard were to allow fan control by voltage and I am certain that yours does not in that very few do) - ASUS does not. So your fan will remain at full speed always.
You mention Fan Expert, so I assume you have an ASUS motherboard. The program allows fan control for 4-pin fans only.

Pin 1 is ground
Pin 2 is +12V / speed control
Pin 3 is for the sensor
Pin 4 (the yellow wire on the fan harness) is speed control
March 3, 2011 12:02:32 PM

Then what about the PWR 3pin plug which has in my ASUS P5Q# DELUXE motherboard i'm using H50 i connected my pump to it, PWR RPM shows in my BIOS, this is not supply 100% current to my pump?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2011 12:52:13 PM

shash89 said:
Then what about the PWR 3pin plug which has in my ASUS P5Q# DELUXE motherboard i'm using H50 i connected my pump to it, PWR RPM shows in my BIOS, this is not supply 100% current to my pump?
The PWR connector on the motherboard is intended for the power fan but can be used for any fan. For example, I have a Y-splitter and two case fans on my PWR_0 motherboard connector.
Your pump's 3-pin fan is receiving 100% voltage because ASUS offers you no way to control it.
March 4, 2011 4:25:14 AM

After reading the Asus X58 Sabertooth manual in more detail i can confirm that the CPU fan, PWR fan and Chas. fan 1 can be controlled using the Fan Xpert software included with the disc. I forgot to mention i'm using a Scythe fan controller for my 7 fans but i still wish to confirm that the CPU fan connector gives 100% or +12v default as i'm using the 4 pin, CPU Fan connector to connect my Corsair H70, 3 pin, pump power connector which needs a constant +12v to function correctly. I think you are saying that it is at 100% at default & the only way to adjust it (which i don't want to do of course) is by using a 4 pin connector to enable the PWM feature. So finally, to re-iterate, the CPU fan connector on the motherboard is always at 100% or +12v unless you connect a 4 pin plug & use a temp. control programme or software such as Speedfan or Fan Xpert.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 9:30:42 AM

Oh, you had not mentioned that...
fan expert will allow a decrease in voltage unless it is disabled or uninstalled, whenever the fourth pin is connected.
And your controller uses a 4-pin connector going in, with 3-pin connectors going to the fans, therefore, yes, the voltage can be lowered to the controller without your being aware of it.
So, I would:
uninstall or disable fan expert
and
disable PWM in BIOS.
March 4, 2011 3:58:43 PM

Milkyjoe01,

if you look at my sig, you will see that I use the exact same mobo and cooler. I run the 3 pin for the pump to the cpu conecter and the y splitter for the fans to the chassis 1 4 pin connector, which is adjustable via the bios or software. The fans are very loud at 100% speed, so I have the bios put them on silent mode via the (hardware monitor>cpu-qfan control>silent mode)

This makes them nice and quiet, and keep my 4.0GHZ OCed I7-950 at 36C idle and 49C at 100% occt/prime95 load.

I do not really see the point of fan control via software if fans are running at 100% or they are cooling perfectly for the speeds they are running at.

Note: I did try the h70 at 100% fans, but under the same stress condidtions, they only lowered the temps by 2C further. For the huge noise boost, forget it.

March 4, 2011 3:59:08 PM

i7-950 @ OCed to 4.0GHZ
Corsair H70
Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard
12 gigs of corsair XMS3 7-8-7-20 ram @1600mhz
Samsung 24X dvd-burner
X2 EVGA 570 SCs with Hi-flow brackets
Creative Fatality pro titanium sound card (PCI express)
OS drive is a 300GB Velociraptor
Data drive is a 2TB WD Black (Sata3 model)
Corsair HX1000W PSU
HAF-X case / with megaflow fans.
March 4, 2011 5:50:59 PM

I thought you had to install the Qfan/Fan Xpert, i don't think they are pre loaded on the motherboard, (not entirely sure). Let me explain my fan set up. My Scythe Kaze Master Pro fan controller is powered by the 4 pin peripheral connector from my Corsair AX850 PSU & all 7 fans are connected to that so no fans are connected to the actual board, the only thing connected to the board is the Corsair H70 3 pin pump power supply.
March 4, 2011 5:53:58 PM

wickedsnow said:
i7-950 @ OCed to 4.0GHZ
Corsair H70
Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard
12 gigs of corsair XMS3 7-8-7-20 ram @1600mhz
Samsung 24X dvd-burner
X2 EVGA 570 SCs with Hi-flow brackets
Creative Fatality pro titanium sound card (PCI express)
OS drive is a 300GB Velociraptor
Data drive is a 2TB WD Black (Sata3 model)
Corsair HX1000W PSU
HAF-X case / with megaflow fans.

Is there any possibility of you giving me your OCing settings for your 4GHZ profile (I'm assuming its a stable OC profile) so i can copy it into my OC profile in my BIOS? (Not too confident of OCing yet!) Thanks.
March 5, 2011 12:07:22 AM

Milkyjoe01,

I would be happy to help you OC your rig. My settings might different from what you actually might need, because all ram/processors are different. Case in point, anywhere you look online, you will find people with 4.0ghz i7-950s, or 920s. But every one of them runs 1.25-1.3volts or higher. I run 1.14 volts. So my settings might be different than your processor needs. I can tell you what to change and what it effects. I'll copy my settings and give them to you after I get home from work today.
March 5, 2011 5:06:02 PM

wickedsnow said:
Milkyjoe01,

I would be happy to help you OC your rig. My settings might different from what you actually might need, because all ram/processors are different. Case in point, anywhere you look online, you will find people with 4.0ghz i7-950s, or 920s. But every one of them runs 1.25-1.3volts or higher. I run 1.14 volts. So my settings might be different than your processor needs. I can tell you what to change and what it effects. I'll copy my settings and give them to you after I get home from work today.

Excellent!! Look forward to reading your settings & experimentimg! What are your thoughts on the Asus C.P.R. feature? Does it work? How does it work & is it worth enabling it?
March 7, 2011 1:30:40 AM

Milkyjoe01,

Sorry for the delay, 2 days of extreme work.

So here are the settings that are relevant to what you need to know.

My bios version is 0802
Under the (AI Tweaker tab)

Ai OC tuner = X.M.P
Intel Speedstep = Disabled
Bclk = 174
CPU Voltage control = manual
CPU Voltage = 1.15 (I suggest you try 1.3V and work your way down 0.1V at a time.)
Dram bus voltage = 1.65
Loadline-calibration = Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude = 800mV

If you can boot into windows at 4ghz with these settings (cpu at 1.3V), then your in good shape.

Run OCCT for 30 minutes and once completed, look at the 8 logs it will give you. Verify no errors. Then reboot and lower your voltage 0.1V at a time repeating this process until you found your lowest voltage that's stable, then add 0.1V to your lowest voltage. (If 1.21V is your lowest stable, then make it 1.22)

Set your ram to it's lowest X.M.P frequency settings during these tests to confirm that ram is not becoming an issue during your testing.

In regards to your questions about the C.P.R feature. Yes it's worth it. Here's what it does.

ASUS C.P.R. function is a new function that allows system to automatically return to BIOS default value in case system hang during overclocking. You will no longer need to open the chassis to clear CMOS settings again, as system will do everything for you automatically.

Let me know if you have any issues.

P.S. If your not sure on something, leave it be, or on auto.
March 7, 2011 9:32:36 PM

wickedsnow said:
Milkyjoe01,

Sorry for the delay, 2 days of extreme work.

So here are the settings that are relevant to what you need to know.

My bios version is 0802
Under the (AI Tweaker tab)

Ai OC tuner = X.M.P
Intel Speedstep = Disabled
Bclk = 174
CPU Voltage control = manual
CPU Voltage = 1.15 (I suggest you try 1.3V and work your way down 0.1V at a time.)
Dram bus voltage = 1.65
Loadline-calibration = Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude = 800mV

If you can boot into windows at 4ghz with these settings (cpu at 1.3V), then your in good shape.

Run OCCT for 30 minutes and once completed, look at the 8 logs it will give you. Verify no errors. Then reboot and lower your voltage 0.1V at a time repeating this process until you found your lowest voltage that's stable, then add 0.1V to your lowest voltage. (If 1.21V is your lowest stable, then make it 1.22)

Set your ram to it's lowest X.M.P frequency settings during these tests to confirm that ram is not becoming an issue during your testing.

In regards to your questions about the C.P.R feature. Yes it's worth it. Here's what it does.

ASUS C.P.R. function is a new function that allows system to automatically return to BIOS default value in case system hang during overclocking. You will no longer need to open the chassis to clear CMOS settings again, as system will do everything for you automatically.

Let me know if you have any issues.

P.S. If your not sure on something, leave it be, or on auto.

What do you mean by 'stable'? i.e. what should i expect to experience if it becomes unstable & do i have to reset anything after an unsuccessful settings change, for example, clear Cmos? thanks.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 10:07:06 PM

A hijack such as this would normally be dealt with.
March 8, 2011 1:13:32 AM

Milky,

Stable means, if your system runs normally. Without any hiccups.

If your unstable, you would know it. Blue screens, reboots, system hangs, etc etc.

I suggest you read over the information found on the following 2 links regarding i7 Overclocking. They helped me a ton.

http://www.forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?t=57...

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-...

I suggest that if you have any more questions about overlocking, that you start a new thread in the overclocking section, as your questions and my answers are no longer relevant to your original question. Send me a private message if you need advice in the future.
!