Sign in with
Your question

5770 overclock idle problems!

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2011 4:46:10 AM

When i overclock the vga core clock to 895Mhz and not overclocking the memory, the idle memory speed goes to 1200 and the core clock goes to 400Mhz and the temps raises to 51c from 42c, isnt there a way around this to lower the idle speed of memory and clock?!
a b U Graphics card
a c 286 K Overclocking
a c 163 } Memory
March 3, 2011 11:43:15 AM

Hi.

1- What GPU do you have?
5- What are you using for overclock the GPU?
m
l
March 3, 2011 12:49:02 PM

SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770, and i'm using the ATI Catalyst Overdrive
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 286 K Overclocking
a c 163 } Memory
March 3, 2011 2:02:43 PM

Uninstall it and use MSI Afeterburner, is much better.
m
l
March 3, 2011 6:21:10 PM

ok thanx man
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 5:55:14 AM

if you use anything but catalyst your going to find your overclock wont auto adjust at all. Your core speed and mem freq shoud auto adjust back to normal idle speed when not in use. if they dont u should try reinstalling drivers or sending a letter to ati.
msi will overclock great but then leave your clocks up 24/7. Catalyst is much better.
u can see my idle clocks at the bottom
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
March 4, 2011 5:06:29 PM

I agree, forget afterburner unless you want to do EXTREME overclocking. I've had so many problems with afterburner I uninstalled it.

Anyways, I have CCC maxed to 775/1125 and it automatically drops down to 157/300, like shown above. However, an older driver I was using failed to lower the memory and just lowered the core. I recently got the newer drive and now it's fixed.

I'd suggest the latest driver, maybe you need an update to fix this problem. Now my HD5850 never goes above 55c even while gaming for hours on Crysis 2 MP, that's with only 59% fan speed .

Try that with an Nvidia card.
m
l
March 4, 2011 8:26:51 PM

Got a 5770 sapphire with ms afterburner at 920/1350 and working quiet well.

Maybe u should , clean and add new thermal paste on your card
m
l
March 4, 2011 9:35:47 PM

well i'm using catalyst 10.10 and it didnt auto adjust the memory clock at idle, even if i overclocked the core and not the memory, what version are you using?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 10:27:15 PM

geekapproved said:
I agree, forget afterburner unless you want to do EXTREME overclocking. I've had so many problems with afterburner I uninstalled it.

Anyways, I have CCC maxed to 775/1125 and it automatically drops down to 157/300, like shown above. However, an older driver I was using failed to lower the memory and just lowered the core. I recently got the newer drive and now it's fixed.

I'd suggest the latest driver, maybe you need an update to fix this problem. Now my HD5850 never goes above 55c even while gaming for hours on Crysis 2 MP, that's with only 59% fan speed .

Try that with an Nvidia card.

do the bios mod ! like i did its sweet
m
l
March 5, 2011 12:15:20 PM

kaspro said:
well i'm using catalyst 10.10 and it didnt auto adjust the memory clock at idle, even if i overclocked the core and not the memory, what version are you using?

I am usin catalyst 11.2 on windows 7 x86 , i used to oc my 5770 with amd overdrive but on gta 4 and crysis it got laggy so i decided to switch to msi afterburner and it worked quiet well , i recommend to let auto adjust amd overdrive your card and with the obtained settingĀ“s switched to msi afterburner , and as already said it works quiet well :D 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 4:22:07 AM

Using cat. 10.6 here and it is dropping clocks on idle.
geekapproved said:

Posting on this mainly because afterburner was uninstalled tonight on my comp... used msi to get a crunchable 1000/1375 @ 1.25v on my sapphire. Did not have a profile auto loading at start up but could hear msi ramping my gpu up and preventing windows from loading for what ever reason. I managed to get logged into that account via system restore and promptly uninstalled AF. I may reinstall it at some point but I will be sure to "restore" settings before exiting !!

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
March 6, 2011 3:16:03 PM

green300 said:
Using cat. 10.6 here and it is dropping clocks on idle.

Posting on this mainly because afterburner was uninstalled tonight on my comp... used msi to get a crunchable 1000/1375 @ 1.25v on my sapphire. Did not have a profile auto loading at start up but could hear msi ramping my gpu up and preventing windows from loading for what ever reason. I managed to get logged into that account via system restore and promptly uninstalled AF. I may reinstall it at some point but I will be sure to "restore" settings before exiting !!

Yeah a lot of people have success with it but I sure didnt. It wouldn't save my settings. It wasn't ramping the fan up enough and the card was getting hotter than I wanted. Everything works perfect in CCC so I stick with that for now.

m
l
March 6, 2011 7:43:35 PM

well, i removed the driver and installed 10.4 and overclocked and now it does auto adjust to normal idle speeed, thanks.....and for the speed and mem i increased to 895 and 1250, is that good enough and what did anyone reach with 5770 cards?!
m
l
!