kennyman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
:hello: Noob here, I put my first rig together last year (December 2010) and have been using it on default settings with everything set on auto in bios. I got my mobo, ram and hdd from my bro, and bought the cpu on ebay (used cpu). I am very happy with the overall performance, I use this pc for homework, AV project and casual gaming. have been reading a lot on how to OC the i7 and would like some input some knowledgeable people before changing anything in the bios.

As I know many of you have 980 in your PC, could you please point out a decent volt and bios setup, so that I can get an idea on where to start. I currently have;

In BIOS,
BCLK 133Mhz (3.3Ghz), Vcore auto, QPI auto
DRAM Freq 1600

Remaining setup is on auto.

I am looking for 3.8 to 4.00 G, any advic will be well appreciated :D

mrJim

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

christop is right, BTW please let us know your mobo, memory, HDD/SDD and heatsink details? This will help to understand your system.

I have been building gaming and multimedia system for years, you need to provide more details on your setup.

kennyman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I increased the multiplier to 26, at 27, it will boot but after a while I get a blue screen and then it will reboot.

My setup is
Motherboard: P6T Deluxe
Memory: 2gb x 6 - 12 GB (CMX6GX3M3A2000C9)
Hard Disk: 1 x Samsung 500GB, 1 x Western Digital 2000GB
DVD: LG DVD Drive
Case: CM Storm Scout (old)
Graphics Card: XFX HD5770
Power Suply: Corsair TX750W Case

Please a little help :bounce:

mrJim

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

Dude, if you want to OC get proper software for measuring temperature. Google for Realtemp or Coretemp. I have no idea of the probe thing you mentioned. Can you take a snapshot of the CPU HT?

natefostersr

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Just set your ram on the higher/correct setting.
leave everything/Voltages on AUTO so it can auto adjust to the load your giving it.
Raise the blck and check the GHz and temp and your done, if you want to get fancy set your ram timings.
I tried at first setting everything, the auto feature on my board worked much much better.
I highly reccomend a 130-200 water system.
ALSO since your overclocking pretty high, you should probably disable speed step. i use xmp and a 20x multiplier it takes care of that. you can also find it in bios settings.

kennyman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

Here is a picture of the cooler, http://i54.tinypic.com/29lcvv8.jpg

my temperature is ok from what I can see on the real temp software.

@natefostersr
Thank you for taking the time to write back to me. I read that increasing the multiplier will be enough rather than messing with the bclk. I am confused, which on ewill be better, CPU clock or blck?

mrJim

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Your HT is a Prolima-Megahalem, you should be good to go. What type of fan you have on it?

980x can hit up to 4.3 - 4.6 easily with your cooler, depending on you fan setup *proper push/pull setup

You can start raising your blck to 140, I will suggest leaving the clock on 26 at this moment and increase your Vcore to 1.2xxxxx.

Good Luck!! Please post your results.

kennyman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I gave up and was using my 980 without any OC, my friend helped me and within 2 hours I have my 980x at 4.3 Ghz, will keep you posted. I am running Prime95 right now to make sure it is rock-solid :D

I am using 1.3xxx (something) as V-core and it idles around 35 degrees and with prime it max-out to 68 degrees.

Thanks for your help. I did not know it was that easy lol :p

kennyman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Ok _Bump

I have increased the Vcore to 1.375 but I am stable only at 3.9xx with CPU clock at 25 and Bclk at 160.

Prime95 keeps freezing or computer reboots itself every time I run the stress test.

Any advice?? How can I hit 4.3 ghz, my temp are already around 80 degress celsius when running prime :ouch: