Asus p6t deluxe v2 + i7 920 = blank screen

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
hey all,

Totally gutted. Was looking forward to playing on this wicked system but I get nothing on screen.No beep(not sure if mobo has built in speaker tho).

My components:
Asus P6t deluxe v2
i7 920
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600Mhz OCZ3G1600LV6GK
640GB Caviar Black
corsairs 750w TX psu
sapphire hd 4890 oc

When I power up, everything whirls - cpu hsf is spinning, gpu fan spins+3 red leds on the gpu are on (not sure wot it means). However, the blue led near the dimm slots are not on. When I switch the power off, the dimm led flashes for a second.
I removed the HSF to see if the cpu was getting hot, and after leaving pc on with the blank screen for a minute or so, the cpu is already pretty warm. Is that normal?

I've tried the usual troubleshoots - remove everything and only try booting with cpu+gpu+psu+1 ram dimm(tried all 3 dimms that I have). Nothing. Nada. Monitor is blank. No beep, nothing flashing on mobo. Also tried clearing cmos jumper and removed cmos battery as well.

Also went through the "READ before posting about boot problems!" http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.html sticky. No joy...

I'm really frustrated. I've done a google, and I've seen some people with similar problems and the forum veterans imply that the p6t deluxe v2 boards have been shipping DOA or with half dead cmos batteries. I don't know...the board doesnt seem doa as everything else seems to connect. I don't have spare parts to test (e.g. extra RAM) further.

What do you guys suggest I do?

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
couldn't find much info on hd 4890, but since its nearest to hd 4870, i searched for red led 4870 and came back with these:

D1601 - Red LED On, shows critical temperature fault
D1602 - Red LED On, shows External power connector A was removed
D1603 - Red LED On, shows External power connector B was removed
D601 - Red LED On, shows critical Core power fault

Ive got similar numbers on my LED on my 4890, and its D1601,D1602 and D1603 thats lit up. I connected the 2 PSU pci-e 6pin cables and unplugged and replugged and its all the same. Also, I dont feel any rise in temperature when I put my hand hear the gpu fan.

Arghhhhhhhhh.
Dead GPU (because of the 3 LEDs)
or
Dead Mobo (because I don't get any blue led's lit up by the DIMM slots when pc is on. Not sure if it's meant to lit up though.)
or
Dead PSU? (because of both above)

And I got the components from different suppliers too. No idea how to identify the problem without extra components. sniff sniff. ........my first build. epic fail.

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
update: i just realised that optical mouse doesn't light up as when PC is turned on. Given all the previous symptoms mentioned, it's beginning to look like a mobo fault. Do you guys agree?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Not completely. Its possible, but to really diagnose it you should get a case speaker, like the one I showed you above. I think it could still be the GPU. The mouse and other peripherals aren't necessarily going to turn on until the PC actually boots and goes through its POST, if you are getting an error before it can complete it then I don't think you would get power to your other periperals. It checks the GPU as part of the POST, so if that is sending an error, you fail the POST. Can you go to best buy or something and buy a cheap GPU (and maybe a case speaker too if they have them) just to test this out, and then return it later?

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Unfortunately, RMA's in the UK are not the easiest thing...not to mention getting pc parts easily. Wont be easy for me to get a cheap gpu at this stage. I've looked and looked at the p6t dlx v2 mobo and I can't for the life of me figure out where the pc speaker would be able to plug into. I don't see any suitable sockets =(

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
There is the big power cable and a smaller power cable for the motherboard.
Makesure that on the smaller cable you are using the 8 pins and not just the 4 pins (pull cover off the 4 covered pins).

Also like other have said you must buy a speakrer.

Now if you pushed to hard on the motherboard when inserting memory or the HSF you can crack the mother board.
I had this problem with my board and sent it back and got a new one and it worked fine.

Good Luck

Mark

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Yeah- I've kept the 24 pin EATXPWR plugged in properly, and the full 8pins for EATX12V. The CPU HSF spins, and when I remove the HSF, the CPU feels pretty warm too.

Pushing hard on the mobo- might've been possible, but I was wary of using just about enough to push the new stubborn clips in.

Still can't find the 2 pins to plug speaker in. MY mobo manual talks about BIOS beep coes, but doesn't meantion if a speaker is built in or not. Thank Asus for the ambiguous info.

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
(wonder why I'm not allowed to edit my own post above..)

Found the speaker points - it's on the asus q-connector socket, which is a detachable socket. hmm. Will see if I can get hold of a speaker at maplin. If mapling doesn't sell it, I'd have little chance of finding getting one any other place in the next few days. Might just RMA the board and GPU.

By the way, my RAM is not on the QVL for my mobo. It should still work tho, right? That can't be the cause of all this? I should at least get it to post even if the RAM isn't on the list, right?

Siggy19

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Couple of possibilities (based on my experience with P6Tse, so yours may be different);

1. The P6T has a speaker connection... it's just a question of whether the case has a speaker or not.

2. The RAM needs to go in the slots AWAY from the CPU if you only have three, not the slots closest to the CPU.

3. The Motherboard has TWO power connections; a big 20pin (or 24pin) one and a smaller 8pin one. BOTH must be connected.

Good luck

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
thx for the info siggy. found the speaker connection but case no speaker =(
I've got the RAM in the slots away from the CPU - the orange slots. read the manual several times.

i've got both 24 pin and 8 pin connected.... still no joy.

woe is me.

gkoster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
just so you know I am having the same exact problem, I have the ATI 4870 and I have 3 red lights and no display when I turn my PC on... if you search 3 red lights on ATI 4870 alot of people are having 3 red lights, I had an Antec case I called antec today and they are shipping me a Case speaker for free... I didn't even have to ask, I just called and said I have no case speaker, they said whats your address.. bamm 3-5 days I will have a speaker...

Zaxis01

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I'm also experiencing the same issues with the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard.
All my components are new and i tried everything suggested in the asus forums to fix this issue, including switching out video cards and still nothing!... So, I'm stuck in the same predicament. I heard from a mod in the asus forums that some of the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboards are being shipped with dead or faulty CMOS 3v batteries.
I'm thinking it's either that or it's my PSU. :sweat:

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
gkoster, zaxis,
I came across similar results on forums as you guys - dead gpu with 3 LEDs and asus p6t deluxe v2 with dead/faulty cmos batteries or even a dead mobo.

I RMA-ed to my supplier and they've confirmed faulty parts - dead mobo. So far, they haven't reported a fault on the GPU, so the 3 LEDs may be attributed to dead mobo.

I suggest you guys do the same and RMA. I tried troubleshooting a whole week and nothing came to pass.

Zaxis01

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Sorry to hear your another victim of bad asus product gunsmoked.

I tried a working PSU i borrowed from a friend and still same issue. which led me to the only real possible explination... BAD MOTHERBOARD!!

looks like another RMA for me. :(

rsabluebulls

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
i just experienced the same problem... no blue light by the memory sockets. my problem is a faulty PSU... of all things. the power lights came ond and everything else lit up like normal, however the blue light remained off. i switch to another PSU and the motheboard booted up like normal...

dazerc

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Any one fixed this yet?
I've just recieved a new replacment Asus p6T Deluxe V2 motherboard and i have the exact same problem. No post beep or display on the screen. I get beeps when i remove all the ram.

please help

stalfosknight

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

Thank You!!!!

I had the same problem and already did one rma...

I guess I am a noob : ( all of my previous builds I had always placed the ram closest to the cpu.... changes it over the the other channel and it works like a charm !!!

also is this something new with the x58 boards or just this one in particular...

alqui

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I have the exact same problem with a brand new computer.

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
i7 950
12 Gb Patriot DDR3
BFG GTX 280 OCX 1GB
LG 22'' Monitor

When I start my computer, my monitor goes to Power Savnig Mode and nothing happens. I thought it was because of my DVI connection after reading a lot of forums so since my video card only has DVI connectors, I switch to my old ATI card and eveything worked. I contacted BFG tech support and still waiting for an answer....seems that the mobo is not fully compatible with all video cards.

Did someone resolve the problem yet?

G

I also have the black screen of death problem ver similar to gunsmoked. My spec:
Asus P6T Deluxe MoBo
i7 920
Sapphire HD4870 512MB
3GB Crucial DDR3
1TB Caviar Green
be quiet Dark Power psu 650W

I get 3 leds on the graphics card. Case fans all spin up as does CPU fan. The MoBo has onboard reset and power on/off buttons. Both these light up.
The system was working ok for about 6 months. Then started to get no video output whatsoever on occasions. Rebooting solved this for a while. Now nothing at all. Have tried a different graphics card. This worked once, now same problem. Have cleared CMOS by jumper but no joy. Still can not get into BIOS even and machine wlll not POST. CPU was running at about 50c but believe that to be within tolerance. What is gong on? Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received, right now have very expensive paper-weight.

Battlescare

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I have the same problem. Everything seems fine. I have a blue light at the ram. I get a single beep but no Monitor signal. I have tried everything I can think of and read. HelPPPPPPPP

zarb23

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I also have the black screen of death problem ver similar to gunsmoked. My spec:
Asus P6T Deluxe MoBo
i7 920
Sapphire HD4870 512MB
3GB Crucial DDR3
1TB Caviar Green
be quiet Dark Power psu 650W

I get 3 leds on the graphics card. Case fans all spin up as does CPU fan. The MoBo has onboard reset and power on/off buttons. Both these light up.
The system was working ok for about 6 months. Then started to get no video output whatsoever on occasions. Rebooting solved this for a while. Now nothing at all. Have tried a different graphics card. This worked once, now same problem. Have cleared CMOS by jumper but no joy. Still can not get into BIOS even and machine wlll not POST. CPU was running at about 50c but believe that to be within tolerance. What is gong on? Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received, right now have very expensive paper-weight.

Interesting to hear that your system ran for 6 months before these problems started. Mine has been running for about 2 months with a fairly similar spec and has just started to experience the same problem:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=274584&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

I'm wondering if the CMOS battery is causing this problem? You have very similar symptoms to my machine with a different PSU, which was my other main candidate cause. Another suggestion I've picked up is the possibility of a short caused by a leak of thermal grease between heatsink and CPU hitting the MOBO or the back plate of the HS shorting. Unlikely I think, but worth checking. I've found that a CMOS reset brings mine back to life and it POSTs normally. It was running fine for 2 months with no problems at all, which suggests that the P6T may be the problem.

jvh1701

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Similar spec's P6T Deluxe V2, Core i7 920, but with an MSI GeForce 295 GTX. No POST, no beeps. Turns out it was a dead CMOS battery. Thanks for the help!

zarb23

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

It was definitely the CMOS battery on my machine too - once I'd changed it (and got it the RIGHT WAY ROUND :fou: it was fine...