Onboard + GPU compatability for HTPC

sailormonz

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Hello, i am considering building a new HTPC. The motherboard ive selected has onboard HDMI which is good since i want to watch blu-ray movies on this pc, however i feel that onboard video might not be enough power for the machine to handle high quality MKV files. Will dropping in a graphics card such as a nvidia geforce 8500 allow me to utilize its processing power while i use the onboard HDMI to output?

links to what im talking about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131324
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150245

Thanks ahead of time!

sailormonz

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Thanks for the advice, from the article it seems to get the GPU acceleration i want i can utilize hybrid crossfire. If anyone knows specifically which cards can be used for hybrid crossfire please post, I am considering a radeon 4650.

Err hybrid CF is not a must to play blue ray but the more attractive application (at least for me) is the ability to drive up to 4 displays when in hybrid crossfire as shown in that link when most people would think a quad display set up would cost ya an arm and a leg hehe. To date here is the list of hybrid crossfire capable GPUs

HD 2400 Pro/XT
HD 3450 / HD 3470

Anything else won't work like that HD4650 but if i were to ever fork out green for a discrete GPU if on a 780G/790GX chipset it will be minimum HD4670

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
You don't need another video card to do decoding and just the onboard to do output. One GPU will be fine. I have a 8400GS that I use to occasionally playback HD files, like H.264 encoded Blu-ray files. It plays it pretty smooth even though you have a single core CPU. What CPU are you planning to use?

My other custom machine has a HD 3650 in it, it'll accelerate Blu-ray files, H.264 .MOV HD files, VC-1. But when playing WMV HD it doesn't accelerate at all. That GeForce 8500GT can output HDMI using the adapter, but it won't carry sound. But if the video card has a SPDIF input then you have to use this as the sound. THe onboard HD3200 can handle the job.