Serious Motherboard issues

buildingnewpc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I have been having some serious motherboard issues with my new system. I recently replaced the motherboard I had for another of the same type because I thought it was broken. See the thread for all the troubleshooting I did before, it is in the new system build category, titled "Need boot help, serious problem."

So I got a new version of my MSI P55-CD53 motherboard. I took it out of the box, put it on a non-conducting surface, plugged in the processor (Intel i5) and power cords (OCZ 500W , turned it on, and it worked!

I then put the motherboard in my tower, plugged in all the other components, turned it on, and the same thing happened as with my last motherboard (of the same type). The fans and LEDs light up momentarily and then turn back off, as if the motherboard is fried.

There is no smell, no burnt spots. I removed the motherboard and again plugged in just the processor and psu, now it doesn't work.

I just realized that the RAM is rated at 1.65 V but the motherboard only is spec'd for 1.5 V. Could this have fried the system?

What did I do, how can I fix it?

buildingnewpc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I am getting a different Mobo. Fried two, I'm done. I am pretty sure the RAM I have (G.Skills DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 CAS 7-7-7-24) is just not going to work. I recommend going to the official site for your RAM and get a board off of their compatibility list

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Excessive ram voltage is an issue with memory controller on the cpu, not the mobo, plus you only need to worry if its above 1.65v. If it worked outside the case than its most likely a short. From one of the customer reviews on newegg:
"Beware ... I Have not been able to get it to work reliably. If the video card is secured in place, the board will not stay powered up. If the video card is just inserted in the slot, and not secured down to the case by the rear screw attachment, everything is fine. I have tried two different MB's and the results are the same. I have also tried different video cards and gotten the same results. It looks like the design of the MB is such that a slight flex in the PCB causes a short. I have confirmed that there are no external shorts."