Sign in with
Your question

Power supply possibly not good enough? i7 950 + GTX 570 OC

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2011 7:32:05 PM

Hi all,

I started a thread a while back about overclocking my CPU and I'm happy to be stable at 4GHz with sub 70C temps. However I've also been overclocking my graphics card.

My current set up is

i7 950 @ 4GHz - Vcore: 1.35V and QPI: 1.35V.
ASUS P6X58D-E
6GB Mushkin DDR3 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 @ 1.65V
EVGA GTX 570 820/2000 - 1.0125V

OCZ StealthXtreme 650W PSU

So my problem is when I overclock my 570 further and have to increase the voltage a little more. I get a few minutes into the stress test and my PC just cuts out. No BSOD or anything. An instant power down.

I think that my power supply may be too lower power for this set up, but I'd like to be certain before I fork out money for a new one. Can anyone shed some light on any other possible reasons for this issue?

Cheers,

Dan
a c 242 K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 12:40:52 AM

Yep if not enough power, don't oc your gpu
maybe next time get new psu for more power, gtx 570 minimum 600w and your cpu under oc...4ghz ,
You can check your power consumption needed use software syssoft sandra tool.
March 5, 2011 8:30:09 AM

Thanks for your response. I thought that may be the case. I'm stable with my GPU @820/2000 -1.0125V.

Could you possibly explain to me how I find the power draw in Sandra? There are just so many options, I'm lost.
Related resources
a c 163 K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 6:03:03 PM

That's a typical "something's too hot" action by the PC. However, the Xtreme series from OCZ has not gotten rave reviews. To test, you could run OCCT's GPU and CPU tests .... or even the PSU test but it's been know to fry lesser PSU's.

Assuming you have considered adding a 2nd 570 at some point, I'd suggest an 850 watter if this is in fact the problem. The following garner 10.0 performance ratings on jonnygur.com

Antec SG-850
Anted CP-850
Corsair HX-850
Corsaier AX-850
XFX Black Edition 850

The CP is the cheapest but requires a compatible CPX case. Lacking an Antec 1200, P183, P193, DF-85 case, that leaves the XFX Black @ $130 the wisest choice.
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 6:34:55 PM

I think your overclock attempt beyond 820/2000 is tripping the over current protection circuit on one the virtual +12 Volt rail(s). The power supply unit will shut down when this happens.

I know there is a 600 Watt StealthXStream model but not a 650 Watt model. It's moot now because the StealthXStream Series seems to have been discontinued and replaced by the StealthXStream 2 Series.
March 5, 2011 8:19:30 PM

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Jack. Both my CPU and GPU are under 70C under load, plus I'm using megahalems w/ push/pull fans in a HAF 932 case so I don't think it's a heat problem.

ko888. I made two mistakes infact. It is only a 600W PSU so I guess that it's probably the problem. It's also a GameXStream not a stealth if that makes any difference.

Looking at SpeedFan the +12V shows 11.56V drawn while idle. Would it trip if it went over 12V? Could I be teetering on the edge too much?

My power supply sticker says I have 4 +12V rails each with 18A current. Anyone know what the current draw of my system is likely to be?
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 8:54:28 PM

According to Version 2.2 of the ATX Specification the +12VDC Rail voltage tolerance is +11.400 VDC to +12.600 VDC.

Your +11.56 VDC is still within that tolerance.
March 22, 2011 5:16:03 PM

Hi all,

Sorry to bump this thread but I've been doing some tests and would like to run a few things past you.

In the hope to check whether it's a PSU issue, I downclocked my CPU so it drew less power (Would that be likely?).

After which I was able to run a GPU stress test at 850/2000 @ 1.075V and it ran stable for an hour (See graph below). As soon as I returned my CPU overclock the power would cut around 4-5 mins into the stress test. Which leads me to believe its a PSU problem, not heat.

The question I have is: If it's the power supply, why would it take 5 minutes to draw enough current to trip the current protection in my PSU and not the instant it went to 100% load?

Temps look nice for my GPU though :D .

a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2011 6:39:35 PM

dillinger88 said:
Hi all,

Sorry to bump this thread but I've been doing some tests and would like to run a few things past you.

In the hope to check whether it's a PSU issue, I downclocked my CPU so it drew less power (Would that be likely?).

After which I was able to run a GPU stress test at 850/2000 @ 1.075V and it ran stable for an hour (See graph below). As soon as I returned my CPU overclock the power would cut around 4-5 mins into the stress test. Which leads me to believe its a PSU problem, not heat.

The question I have is: If it's the power supply, why would it take 5 minutes to draw enough current to trip the current protection in my PSU and not the instant it went to 100% load?

Temps look nice for my GPU though :D .

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/5307405/640/5307405.png

What is the CPU load from the beginning of the the stress test up to the time when the problem occurs?

Does the CPU load ramp up over the 5 minutes is or is it at 100% when the stress test starts?
March 22, 2011 7:15:01 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply.

It was strictly a GPU test so the CPU was only loaded about 15% throughout the test. I got a bit impatient and decided to open a few programs to up the CPU utilisation and my PC restarted again. Unfortunately I couldn't see the load on the CPU before it powered off.

I'm going to run the PSU test in OCCT to load both CPU and GPU to 100% and see how quickly it powers off.

March 22, 2011 7:25:22 PM

Well there's my answer.

As soon as the PSU test started it powered down. Current protection is definitely tripping.

Most excellent call with the CPU load ko888. Its confirmed my suspicions that my PSU isn't good enough. Unless there is anything else you can think of?

Many thanks again for all the replies. I think I'll have to look at that XFX 850W in Jack's post.
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2011 8:07:45 PM

dillinger88 said:
Well there's my answer.

As soon as the PSU test started it powered down. Current protection is definitely tripping.

Most excellent call with the CPU load ko888. Its confirmed my suspicions that my PSU isn't good enough. Unless there is anything else you can think of?

Many thanks again for all the replies. I think I'll have to look at that XFX 850W in Jack's post.

The XFX 850W Black Edition is an excellent Seasonic made modular unit.
!