Seeking help with purchasing a desktop

I know enough to be dangerous with computers. Which isn't much. I use family tree maker both online and I have the software, I also have high school age boys, who like to play world of warcraft and spore. I download census data, pictures, scan photos. My scanner and photo printer are new, but it seems my computer is outdated and very slow. I was told I should have at least 2 gb processor, dual? and a nvidia graphics card. Any suggestions? I believe I can still use my monitor.- I currently have a gateway, about 5 years old, paid 1100. for it and about 1 year ago had upgrades done for about 200.00.

Any help appreciate.

8 answers Last reply
More about seeking purchasing desktop
  1. Ok well a lot depends on your budget. But to clear up a few points.

CPU's these days are measure in GHZ and number of cores. As long as you stick to either a Core 2 Duo or a Phenom II you should be fine.

RAM is very important too... for a reasonable spec machine running Windows XP then 2gb or RAM is fine - if however you buy a PC with Vista then go for as much RAM as you can afford as Vista loves plenty of RAM.

Storage minimum these days is 500gb - Hard drives are very cheap compared to five years ago.

Video / Graphics... ermm Nvidia is nice... but so is ATI - you can spend as little as $100 for reasonable performance ..... and a heck of a lot more if you want the best.
  2. You can buy a dell or hp system with dual core cpu and 3-4 gigs of memory for less then $500. I use slickdeals.net and fatwallet to check for deals each week; Sunday is the best day for new deals. Many systems will accept a mid range video card for gaming without a bigger power supply. I suggest a 4830 or 4850; both under $100 if you buy online at newegg or other websites. All you have to do is remove the side panel and any hold down mechanism for the internal cards to install the video card. Some require a 6 pin connector from the power supply; make sure yours has it, or buy a video card that doesn't require any ps leads. Newegg.com has lots of pictures even if you buy elsewhere.
  3. Building your own custom PC is the way to go rather than buying a name brand PC.
    I see some people on this message board who recently purchased a name brand PC and are in a quandary about upgrading their CPU after realizing that their CPU won't give the performance that they desire.
    Most name brand PC's (not all though) use the cheapest parts to maximize their profit.If you build your own you can have better support for upgrades especially with newer CPU upgrades on motherboards as well as other features.In addition it's you who have the choice of components and features.
  4. nividia geforce 7600 gs is my graphic thing. my processor is a intel pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz, with 2.50 ghz of RAM. Supposedly the guy cleaned everything up too. I would like to run vista, but get the windows 7 upgrade when available. Also I have microsoft student for the kids. i would like to use my monitor, but i don't have to. trying to save some money. i would like to spend between 500-700 or so for a tower. Thanks everyone, great response. Thanks
  5. Yea true that, stay away from Dell, Hp, Gateway, etc..... unless you don't mind throwing the entire pc away on a yearly basis.....
  6. ct615 you are full of it... you know dam well you end-up with a headache when you buy a pre-built PC... There are many threads that have to do with this... many peeps that seek advice on buying a new pre-built, then when they buy it they end-up here on Tom's telling us that they should have built a PC from scratch before-hand.....

She already had the correct reply before I posted so why do you have to flame my post?

BTW if I was spamming I would have less points than posts so next time you feel like flaming think twice before you hit that "submit" button......

I have never said anything negative towards any of your posts, regardless if it made sense or not.... I am just trying to make sure peeps don't spend good coin on something that they will regret in the future.....

I can't believe you take Trolls side when you know he replies to peeps saying " Your a NOOB" .... Do you actually think that calling someone a " NooB" is ok? IMO you are out of line, I never thought you would say such a thing....
  7. JaniceMc said:
    I know enough to be dangerous with computers. Which isn't much. I use family tree maker both online and I have the software, I also have high school age boys, who like to play world of warcraft and spore. I download census data, pictures, scan photos. My scanner and photo printer are new, but it seems my computer is outdated and very slow. I was told I should have at least 2 gb processor, dual? and a nvidia graphics card. Any suggestions? I believe I can still use my monitor.- I currently have a gateway, about 5 years old, paid 1100. for it and about 1 year ago had upgrades done for about 200.00.

Any help appreciate.

Janice, what I meant ( in GENERAL ) is if you have the will to build your own PC then you should go ahead w/o hesitation...

I normally tell peeps to stay away from pre-built PC's due to the fact that they normally come with generic parts and when it time to upgrade you have very little headroom.... I have a Dell XPS410 that was given to me as a gift back in 06 with a 4 year warranty... The warranty did no good cause Dell builds their PC's to last more than 4 years so you will most likely never have to use the warranty in the first place. Same scenario with HP, gateway and all the other comapnies that sell pre-builts....

So in all what I am trying to explain here is that when you build, you end-up with brand name parts that can be easily upgraded if needed and you save money since buying individual pieces of hardware is by far cheaper than having to buy a hole new pre-built PC......
  8. CT im 32 years old, I have been in the IT industry for 15 years.... Part of my job consists of dealing with companies like Dell, HP and IBM.... This is just pathetic, never in a million years I would ever think that you would post such comments....

Anyways, Janice good luck with your new PC......
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product