Sign in with
Your question

Is there a difference between Samsung F3 and Samsung F3R ??

Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2010 11:53:34 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|22-136-805^22-136-805-TS,22-152-185^22-152-185-TS,22-152-238^22-152-238-TS

Check out these drives.

What is the difference? Which one would you reccomend and why ?

I can't seem to understand why one samsung is more than the other. And are they both better than that cheaper WD Black with 64MBcache ??
a c 289 G Storage
December 30, 2010 1:51:17 PM

The F3R is meant to be more rugged: it has an additional feature to protect against vibration, and a five-year warranty, which is more common in the enterprise sector of the market.

The Caviar Black on your page is "recertified" - it broke, it was returned, they fixed it, then they sell it used. The guarantee is only 90 days.

So: How important is a guarantee to you? And since the guarantee is a half-decent indicator of durability, how reliable a disk are you willing to pay for? I have a bad habit of moving my PC while it is running - I might spring for the F3R. If you are better than I am about that, and only move the machine while it is off, pay less for the F3. If your business depends on this machine, or you run it in a pickup truck while driving in the desert, spring for the F3R.

I degenerated into silliness, didn't I?
m
l
December 30, 2010 4:20:29 PM

no your answer is good... I constantly break hardrives.

I think a 3 or 5 year warranty makes sense
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2011 7:24:45 PM

The 'R' indicates that the drive is suitable for use in a RAID array.

Standard F3 drives in a RAID with Win7 will occasionally hang a system, sometimes freeze it totally, due to a conflict between Win7 and the firmware settings in these drives.

F3R drives have different settings. (Although why that should add anything to the price is beyond me!)
m
l
January 25, 2011 12:43:52 PM

IanMac22 said:
The 'R' indicates that the drive is suitable for use in a RAID array.

Standard F3 drives in a RAID with Win7 will occasionally hang a system, sometimes freeze it totally, due to a conflict between Win7 and the firmware settings in these drives.

F3R drives have different settings. (Although why that should add anything to the price is beyond me!)

So you can;'t or should not use the normal ones in raid ?
m
l
!