Is there a difference between Samsung F3 and Samsung F3R ??

The F3R is meant to be more rugged: it has an additional feature to protect against vibration, and a five-year warranty, which is more common in the enterprise sector of the market.

The Caviar Black on your page is "recertified" - it broke, it was returned, they fixed it, then they sell it used. The guarantee is only 90 days.

So: How important is a guarantee to you? And since the guarantee is a half-decent indicator of durability, how reliable a disk are you willing to pay for? I have a bad habit of moving my PC while it is running - I might spring for the F3R. If you are better than I am about that, and only move the machine while it is off, pay less for the F3. If your business depends on this machine, or you run it in a pickup truck while driving in the desert, spring for the F3R.

I degenerated into silliness, didn't I?

IanMac22

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
The 'R' indicates that the drive is suitable for use in a RAID array.

Standard F3 drives in a RAID with Win7 will occasionally hang a system, sometimes freeze it totally, due to a conflict between Win7 and the firmware settings in these drives.

F3R drives have different settings. (Although why that should add anything to the price is beyond me!)

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

So you can;'t or should not use the normal ones in raid ?