Sign in with
Your question

::: Quick channel hdd question:::

Last response: in Motherboards
October 27, 2009 9:52:54 PM

I got a new Gigabyte MB, with all new hard drives etc. I noticed in BIOS that Main HD (one intended for win install) is on channel 2 master, then channel 2 slave dvd rom, and channel 3 master my huge HD. Does it matter which channel I choose? Should ALL of them be on master?? I have plenty of connections. Help me out please,
robert
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 27, 2009 10:17:31 PM

I assume the new drives are all SATA? If so, you want your boot drive on SATA2_0 (depending on the board type, these may be labeled SATAII_0, etc.), any remaining drives on consecutively ordered SATA2_x channels (i.e., the drive you want to be 'D:' on SATA2_1, the drive you want to be 'E:' on SATA2_2, etc.) and, if your DVD is SATA, put it on the GSATA_0 port - it's a different controller, not as fast as the SATA2 ports, and a bit buggy for RAIDing, so it's a good place to 'park' a DVD/CD-ROM... Ignore the master/slave designations, they mean nothing on actual SATA controllers, and are some kind of 'vestige'...
October 27, 2009 10:45:30 PM

bilbat,

I appreciate your time and great advise. Bil I have 2 sata drives one my boot 250gb, and my secondary 1.5tb. My dvd rom is also sata. I could of sworn I connected both HD'ves to 0 and 1 as masters. On the board the cpnnections I used were :1st drive= SATA2_0, drive 2= SATA2_1, and dvd SATA2_2, but in the bios they show up with higher numbers. I gave GSATA a connection to the back of my case where I can plug in external drives. I need to reconnect some drives to have the way you recommended it. Many thanks, its nice to know someone can help out a rookie (I thought I knew more, but its a learning each time!)
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 28, 2009 1:07:16 AM

Always glad to help (or at least, try... :??:  )!
Esata is also a good use for the GSATA ports; they do AHCI pretty well, it's RAID where they stumble a bit... If you want to be able to 'hot-plug' (i.e., plug the drive on while the system is already booted, and have them recognized), you'll need to enable AHCI mode on the GSATA - for most boards:
On the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS
"Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" to "AHCI"
and then you need to put in the AHCI 'pre-load' drivers - if you'll tell me which board you have, I can point out the exact procedure in your manual to follow; this is easiest done during the OS install - it's a nasty, more complicated job to add 'em to an already installed system...

Again, you needn't pay any attention to the post or the "Standard CMOS Features" BIOS screen nomenclature for your drives - the whole "IDE Channel 0 Master, IDE Channel 0 Slave, IDE Channel 1 Master, IDE Channel 1 Slave" thing - it's meaningless when using SATA drives - my guess, laziness on the part of the BIOS programmers, or some 'backward compatibility' thing...

October 28, 2009 1:46:39 AM

bil, so what you are saying is it does not matter which channel I use as long its not a gsata. I would like to keep my drives in good order. I guess I can play around physically on sata connections until I find sata2_0,sata2_1. You are probably right, some lazy guy did not do of a good job in Bios. Whats more important; bios pointer to that channel, or physical connection to those slots? I will try flashing bios to the newest version perhaps this will iron thongs out. Another headache is my ram, and I saw you trying to help another guy with this, so I am sure you've been there: my 1066 ddr2 memory (I have 2 sticks closest to the CPU) is reading as x4.00 800Mhz, I'll just keep chipping away. You are great help, thank you!!
November 12, 2009 12:31:35 AM

Another thing.. I have a external drive with 80% full, and I cannot add more files to it, even the 1gb ones!! I know that some system space is needed. I started offloading some of the data from the drive, but no matter how much I offload from it is still full,
HELP!
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 12, 2009 12:55:50 AM

Whole drive organization thing doesn't matter much these days - you can go into your OS and 'designate' any drives you want to be any drive letter, I just install them 'physically' in the order that I want them to be 'logically' to keep life simpler (I have nine boot partitions [and eight 'swap partitions] on a two by two array of RAID0 Velociraptors...); two caveats: I don't think you can change the letter of your system drive, once your system is installed; and, with Xp, if you install to a second physical partition/drive, the damned thing will wind up as 'D:' forever more...

For memory tweaking, overclocking, and the like, I need a little more info:
The Gigabyte model number of your motherboard
Part number of your processor
Part number of your RAM (or a 'web pointer' to the item where you ordered it), size of DIMMs (1G or 2G), and the stick count
What you have for a heatsink/fan - original Intel that came with the CPU, or aftermarket part

Your external may simply be badly in need of a defrag; I 'recovered' a supposedly bad drive for a buddy a few days ago - it was so badly fragged that it took three hours to copy 20 gig of files off of it, and, once reformated, took ten minutes to restore them...
November 12, 2009 2:38:20 PM

bilbat,
I read up on the external situation, and everything points to defragging external. Do you recommend third party defrag software? When it comes to drives, I contacted Gigabyte, they told me although sata connectors on the board are labeled, it does not mean that BIOS will show the same. I had my secondary drive as a master, and my sata DVD as slave, and this setup was failing the performace of my second drive, I guess I need to put them all on master connectors, right?
Thank you much for your time, and great advise!
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 12, 2009 3:19:43 PM

MS' will get the job done; the best, hands down, third party defragger is Diskeeper, and I believe (but do not know from experience, as I don't use externals - only an NAS on my router...) it will do an external; you can download it here:
https://www.diskeeper.com/profile/Account.aspx?a=l
I'd recommed installing it, and letting it run for the whole thirty days - will 'clean up' your whole machine!

Again, the BIOS display of Master/Slave doesn't mean a thing; if anything is connected to a SATA cable, on a SATA port, it is simply a SATA drive; IDEs, however, are a different story...
November 12, 2009 5:30:57 PM

Gotcha!! (I need to get a good test software that will point to any problematic areas, making sure all components are working there best! It was always a gray area to me that for some reason things should be better than what I usually experience, to eather make me conclude all components are stable, and peak performance, or just assure me.
Thanx again!

bilbat said:
MS' will get the job done; the best, hands down, third party defragger is Diskeeper, and I believe (but do not know from experience, as I don't use externals - only an NAS on my router...) it will do an external; you can download it here:
https://www.diskeeper.com/profile/Account.aspx?a=l
I'd recommed installing it, and letting it run for the whole thirty days - will 'clean up' your whole machine!

Again, the BIOS display of Master/Slave doesn't mean a thing; if anything is connected to a SATA cable, on a SATA port, it is simply a SATA drive; IDEs, however, are a different story...

a c 177 V Motherboard
November 12, 2009 11:59:45 PM

SiSoft Sandra (system analyser, diagnostic, and reporting assistant - memorize this, there'll be a test next week :pt1cable:  ) is an information & diagnostic utility. It should provide most of the information (including undocumented) you need to know about your hardware, software and other devices whether hardware or software:
http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=92&file=15&evp...
!