Problem installing XP on new build...

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm so close.

I had a copy of XP pro that I tried to boot with and got as far as the registration key...the key that I have is now for whatever reason not working. I remember trying to use this copy of XP pro a while ago on my other computer and the same thing happened.

Anyway, I have a good new copy through school now, but the system already has the copy from the bad cd on the hard drive. I'm assuming the reason my new key won't work is because the copy of XP pro that's already loaded onto my new hard drive needs the old reg. key which I don't have.

I need to redo the whole installing/booting process with the new good copy of XP pro, but how do I get the bad copy off the SATA hard drive when I can't get into disk manager yet? Or...do I need to do something else?

Thanks,
-TG

hdwenthus

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
boot to the new Cd you have agree to the terms and agreement, you will come to a screen that lets you delete the old partition, do that....now you will have "Unpartitioned space", select the option to create a new partition in the unpartitioned space, and from there, you can do the installation as normal :)

hdwenthus

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
you will have to do the installation as normal, and then you will get to the screen i memntioned about deleting the old part. and assigning a new one