1156 Socket/ Should i be concerned

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I was thinking of building a new system using a 1156 socket with a 860 cpu. But now ive been hearing that when 1156 sockets are overclocked that they burn out. Now should i be concerned about buying a 1156 board???? i had planned on getting a Maximus III Formula should that board be ok for moderate overclocking. And the reason im not going with a 920 system is there high end boards are more expensive and they use quite a bit more power, from what ive read they use around 45 watts more power and that over time means more $$ in my pocket with 1156 system.

And to be honest i would probably only overclock the 860 like 3.2ghz maybe 3.3ghz at the very most. Should i wait for a different socket to come out or chose a different board with this foxconn socket problems? Thanks for your help and imput.

Solution

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

All of those burnouts you've heard about happened at extremely high core voltage levels and overclocks, resulting in SEVERAL HUNDRED watts being passed through a socket that's only designed to support a 95W processor. I've tested loads of these things and have had zero socket issues at settings up to 1.45V.

Solution