WD My Book Live Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I have a WD My Book Live 1TB network HD that I received as a gift. I ran into a problem that I can't seem to come up with a solution for.

It installed to my network fine, and I transfered all my personal files/folders to it from my existing NAS. Long story short; I decided I wanted to return it, but first I needed to securely erase my personal files. So, I used the WD software to "Quick Restore" it to factory condition. After deciding that probably wasn't good enough, I ran the "Thorough" factory restore which takes much longer. In the midst of the restore/format, it stopped with a cryptic error message. Worse, it removed the system files in the Public Share\Software folder. Now the drive is unusable, can't be re-installed with the installation DVD, won't complete another format/restore, and Win7 won't even map it anymore.

I would just pack it up and send it back as is, but I'm afraid my personal files/folders aren't truely gone, and may still be accessible on the drive to someone with the right ability. Does anyone know of a way to get its Public Share\Software folder re-populated with the original system files so I can run through the process again? Or a sure way to low level format it in Win 7?

Solution
My computer - right click - manage

Disk Management

right click NAS drive that you have

click "format"

Please remove check mark on "Perform a quick format"

quick format will take only few sec to finish but after remove this option.

Format time will take damn long but sure it's fully format and TRIM area.

Hard to recollect data from the HDD after this.

good luck~

chrisduncanaudio

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

I have a similar problem...would love to get an answer on this one.

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
My computer - right click - manage

Disk Management

right click NAS drive that you have

click "format"

Please remove check mark on "Perform a quick format"

quick format will take only few sec to finish but after remove this option.

Format time will take damn long but sure it's fully format and TRIM area.

Hard to recollect data from the HDD after this.

good luck~

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I did all that, to no avail. I decided I'd just remove the 1TB 'green' drive from the unit and formay it by connecting it to my computer's SATA port. Now I was able to actually 'wipe' the drive for better security.

Status
Not open for further replies.