Can I clone my current RAID0 OS Data to my new SSD or must clean inst?

fuzzyreets

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Hi folks. Just ordered my first SSD drive which should be coming tomorrow. OCZ Vertex 2 if that matters. Currently I have my OS win7 x64 in a RAID0 config and I wanted to know if I can just clone that over to the SSD or do I have to reinstall completely. I'm not sure if there is some low level drivers that would be different or something of that nature. Thanks.

sub mesa

Distinguished
When cloning you may end up with very low performance if your cloning application does not align the partition properly. Doing a fresh Win7 install is always recommended. When you let Windows 7 create the partition (delete any existing partitions) then you will be sure it is correctly aligned.

You can check alignment with AS SSD (google); it says OK if its good and BAD if its.. right. ;-)

fuzzyreets

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

I was just reading about that a little bit. What is "aligning" the drive?? Never heard of this. Can you explain or point me to a good article? Thanks for the response.

fuzzyreets

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Nah. Messy. I'll just go clean. Thanks though.

fuzzyreets

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Hey thanks for the help. Those links don't work but I'm pretty sure I get the idea of what you were trying to pass along. I've always had all my data and temp stuff on a separate disc. Thanks for the help though.

fuzzyreets

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Hi guys. Back again. I"m getting a no boot device found error on the reboot after the initial part of win7 installation. Any ideas? I've installed Windows 1000 times and never had this error initially. SOmething special I have to do?

fuzzyreets

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I got it. Apparently there was still boot information on what is now my files only RAID array which used to have the OS as well. All is well. What's your take on AHCI? I have to set the controller for RAID and I'm thinking there is no way to set it for RAID and AHCI...correct?

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

"http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-drive-secondary.html"

"http://www.overclock.net/ssd/761471-moving-your-documents-pictures-videos-folders.html"

You will need to remove the quotes on the links and copy and cut into your browser.
I hope these work for you.

fuzzyreets

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
THanks for reposting. Is there an issue with SSDs when you have to do a hard power off? I had to do one last night and then my system didn't see the drive again until I reflashed the BIOS. Kind of disappointing. Thanks.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Yes, SSDs can fail altogether on such an occurance, or display corruption on data you've not even touched (i.e. not written to; but still it is corrupted).

You would need an SSD of the third generation with a 'supercapacitor' to stop corrupting on power failure / abrupt disconnections. Usually the data that goes on SSDs is not very important and can be re-created (your OS drive should hold only system files). If you can map your my documents to another storage device that would be most ideal so you don't need anything on the SSD.

Corruption is still an issue with SSDs; the Supercapacitor third generation SSDs would finally be able to write safely, without fearing that it would corrupt its own storage when the power is lost.