Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Factory overclocked or user overclocked?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2011 11:33:19 PM

Am upgrading to a new video card and psu very soon.

Have my eye on Sparkle Calibre gtx 560 ti factory oc... I called sparkle yesterday and the guy I spoke with said it has not been

released to retailers yet even though it was announced in late Jan by sparkle and is listed on there site.

Other card I have looked at is the Gigabyte gtx 560 ti super factory oc version.

Price for these is from $280-350 Canadian for me...

Wondering if it would be better to buy a non overclocked card and oc and and cool it myself?

Not to sure if I can overclock a gpu with my current motherboard though... because it is OEM and bios is limited... regardless if I

have to upgrade my motherboard to oc a video card myself... would this be better than a factory oc card?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 5:34:08 AM

The bottom line is factory overclocked cards are usually locked so u cant further overclock them, Unless you flash the bios that a little tricky sometimes.

I bios flashed my standard 5850 and now i can add water block and OC the hell out of it. Look up your card and see how well it Overclocks and if you want to play aroud with it. If you dont care just buy the factory clocked card.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 6:07:21 AM

I don't see a point in buying a factory O.C. anything.The O.C. they give is so minimal that you won't even notice the performance gain(2~3%).Your better off doing it yourself.

If the Asus or MSI versions are cheaper(or you can afford them) get them,they have much better cooling than the refernce models like Gigabyte or Sparkle.And the software they provide with the card is excellent.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 8:01:41 AM

/disagree. Buy the factory OC card. It's got a better cooling system than the Sparkle card (I've had experience with Sparkle. *bad memories are now recalled*), and will probable have a better warranty as well. Also, factory OC cards can easily be overclocked further with tools such as MSI Afterburner or Rive Tuner. I've not heard that factory OC'ed cards are locked, but it can be true. I own a factory OC card (MSI GeForce GTX460 Cyclone 1GB OC), and it overclocks like a dream. Best thing is the warranty covers the OC'ing, even the voltage tweaking... :D 
m
l
March 4, 2011 8:38:51 AM

Are all MSI cards still in warranty when overclocked?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 242 K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 8:48:40 AM

ask waranty in MSI site... :D 
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 10:04:00 AM

Not sure if all are, but more and more manufacturers are setting their warranties to cover overclocking. I know my card (the one I mentioned above) gets covered by all overclocking, GPU clock speeds, GRAM speeds, GPU voltage and another one on the GRAM, can't remember what it's called now. It even comes shippe with the overclocking software on a seperate disc and everything, with instructions on how to OC included. It's truly awesome. Just look out for cards with "OC" in the name, or find out what the reference speed of the card is (I know the GTX460 reference speed is 675MHz), and compare it to the clock speed of the one you are buying to see if it's overclocked.

I've looked around a bit, and VERY few cards actually do still come at reference speeds, and it seems almost all decent manufacturers are overclocking nowadays. Some GTX460 cards are even factory overclocked to 825MHz. That's 25MHz more than I OC mine at home, and they do it from the factory.

I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer if you are not sure, and see if they cover overclocking in their warranty, and if they do, by how far (just clock speed increase, or do the cover voltage stepping as well).
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 11:21:02 AM

Well i've never heard of that.If it's true then by all means get it.Warranty covers O.C.ing. is a must.
m
l
March 4, 2011 1:38:56 PM

Best answer selected by knk2009.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 2:31:48 PM

I got the Sonic version of the Palit GTX 570 specifically for two reasons:

1. The non-reference "Mercury" cooler is much better than the reference one.
2. It uses a non-reference board design with more power phases. This will allow over-volting and higher overclocks. Note that not all factory-overclocked cards will have a different design from the standard cards.

I've never heard of a factory-overclocked card being locked from overclocking further. Mine certainly isn't -- the factory-overclocked clocks are 750/1500/3900 and mine's at 875/1750/4000 so far.

Plus, it was the same price as the regular non-overclocked GTX 570s from other manufacturers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 1:50:39 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
I got the Sonic version of the Palit GTX 570 specifically for two reasons:

1. The non-reference "Mercury" cooler is much better than the reference one.
2. It uses a non-reference board design with more power phases. This will allow over-volting and higher overclocks. Note that not all factory-overclocked cards will have a different design from the standard cards.

I've never heard of a factory-overclocked card being locked from overclocking further. Mine certainly isn't -- the factory-overclocked clocks are 750/1500/3900 and mine's at 875/1750/4000 so far.

Plus, it was the same price as the regular non-overclocked GTX 570s from other manufacturers.

:bounce: 
You have the perfect argument for purchasing an OC card, and not the reference stuffs. OC cards are so much more affordable these days, you almost cannot find a reference card anymore... :) 
m
l
!