Getting University

Okay, I have some spare time to rub against itself, I think I'll be
getting University this weekend.

Since I have the patch for the original game, am I right to think that
how I have to install U is to uninstalled Sims 2 (while keeping all my
saved families and lots), reinstall Sims 2, and then install University?
Will that do the trick?

Thx.

--
--Cuth
17 answers Last reply

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    > Okay, I have some spare time to rub against itself, I think I'll be
    > getting University this weekend.
    >
    > Since I have the patch for the original game, am I right to think
    that
    > how I have to install U is to uninstalled Sims 2 (while keeping all
    my
    > saved families and lots), reinstall Sims 2, and then install
    > University? Will that do the trick?

    Generally speaking, you never have to re-install a game to install an
    expansion pack if you happen to have an official patch applied. Since
    the company making the game knows you might have a patch applied.
    It's the unofficial ones that usually cause problems.

    At least, I had the patch installed and I didn't have to do anything.

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:22:57 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
    <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Okay, I have some spare time to rub against itself, I think I'll be
    >getting University this weekend.

    Please do. It's way cooler than you think :-) At first you may be a
    little dissappointed, as not that much seems new, but it really grows
    on you. I *LOVE* dorms now.

    >Since I have the patch for the original game, am I right to think that
    >how I have to install U is to uninstalled Sims 2 (while keeping all my
    >saved families and lots), reinstall Sims 2, and then install University?
    > Will that do the trick?

    I did not have to reinstall, and I had patched the original game. The
    reason people are reinstalling is because they had hacks and were
    unable to remove the completely. They didn't realize that files were
    installed all over the place, not just in downloads.

    In any case, I'd back up my neighbourhoods at certain intervalls.

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    > Since I have the patch for the original game, am I right to think that
    > how I have to install U is to uninstalled Sims 2 (while keeping all my
    > saved families and lots), reinstall Sims 2, and then install
    > University? Will that do the trick?

    It depends on what patch you have, if you have the first one you have to
    uninstall, if you have the seccond one, you don't.

    >>Since I have the patch for the original game, am I right to think that
    >>how I have to install U is to uninstalled Sims 2 (while keeping all my
    >>saved families and lots), reinstall Sims 2, and then install University?
    >> Will that do the trick?
    >
    >I did not have to reinstall, and I had patched the original game. The
    >reason people are reinstalling is because they had hacks and were
    >unable to remove the completely. They didn't realize that files were
    >installed all over the place, not just in downloads.

    That can't be the reason. Mine installed without a problem when I
    installed it from the CD and I have hacks all over the place.
    However,I like to experiment,so I tried to install it from an Alcohol
    image - and the game deinstalled itself when trying to update Sims 2.
    I tried this on three different machines with the same result. Either
    there is something wrong with my Alcohol image or the game has to be
    installed from the CD, I don't know. I don't really intend to play
    University, I only bought it for the cell-phones.

    Mmm - yes it was a problem for many people. Not all hacks caused problems
    but the biggest problems were caused by people who had careers installed.
    They really buggered up the installation, especially the skins that came
    with them.

    To the OP: I didn't have any problems either but I play a hack-free game for
    the most part. Don't forget to remove a no-blur patch if you have one. As
    far as the patch goes, if you install over a clean install of The Sims, the
    installation process will just install the patch anyway before it completes
    the installation of University. In other words, the game has to be patched
    in order to have the expansion pack installed. So, there's not a lot of
    point doing a fresh install unless you have problems.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Strider" <aaaa@aaa.aa> wrote in message

    > >>Since I have the patch for the original game, am I right to think that
    > >>how I have to install U is to uninstalled Sims 2 (while keeping all my
    > >>saved families and lots), reinstall Sims 2, and then install University?
    > >> Will that do the trick?
    > >
    > >I did not have to reinstall, and I had patched the original game. The
    > >reason people are reinstalling is because they had hacks and were
    > >unable to remove the completely. They didn't realize that files were
    > >installed all over the place, not just in downloads.
    >
    > That can't be the reason. Mine installed without a problem when I
    > installed it from the CD and I have hacks all over the place.
    > However,I like to experiment,so I tried to install it from an Alcohol
    > image - and the game deinstalled itself when trying to update Sims 2.
    > I tried this on three different machines with the same result. Either
    > there is something wrong with my Alcohol image or the game has to be
    > installed from the CD, I don't know. I don't really intend to play
    > University, I only bought it for the cell-phones.

    Sorry - this isn't true.

    Users in the west don't need to install the second patch at all (which I
    didn't) and Uni installed just fine.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
    > Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    > > Since I have the patch for the original game, am I right to think that
    > > how I have to install U is to uninstalled Sims 2 (while keeping all my
    > > saved families and lots), reinstall Sims 2, and then install
    > > University? Will that do the trick?
    >
    > It depends on what patch you have, if you have the first one you have to
    > uninstall, if you have the seccond one, you don't.

    You mean I *didn't* have to uninstall and reinstall Sims2?

    there's three quarters of an hour of my life I'll never get back...
    waaah.

    ~*~
    vecki

    Cuth said:
    "My game installed in a few minutes"

    DVD or CD? I've got the CD version and it took AGES.. My bum certainly
    felt it was 45 mins...

    Maybe I just need a new chair.

    ~*~
    vecki

    Maxon wrote:

    > As
    > far as the patch goes, if you install over a clean install of The Sims, the
    > installation process will just install the patch anyway before it completes
    > the installation of University. In other words, the game has to be patched
    > in order to have the expansion pack installed. So, there's not a lot of
    > point doing a fresh install unless you have problems.

    Yes, I understand that; I thought that was the issue with University: it
    installs its own version of the patch, which trips things up if you
    already have the patch downloaded from Maxis' site. I thought you had
    to remove the patch before installing U.

    --
    --Cuth

    Jeremy Reaban wrote:

    > Generally speaking, you never have to re-install a game to install an
    > expansion pack if you happen to have an official patch applied. Since
    > the company making the game knows you might have a patch applied.

    True true true.

    But remember--THIS IS MAXIS WE'RE DEALING WITH. Need I say more???
    ;-) ;-) ;-)

    --
    --Cuth

    Well, with mine it just got to the bit where it wants to apply the patch,
    said it was checking whether the game was patched or not, then said it was
    patched already and so it was going on to the next bit. So, it didn't apply
    a 'with University EP' patch at all. I think most of the time, if people
    were having issues, it was because they hadn't removed hacks from their
    games - particularly career hacks - and also any 'remove the blur' patches
    both of which would cause the installation to go seriously awry. I removed
    my Downloads folder and the No Blur patch before I installed and everything
    was fine. My aim was to present the installation programme with the game as
    it was originally installed (as far as that was possible) - in other words,
    exactly the thing the installation programme was expecting to see and was
    designed for.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Maxon wrote:
    > Well, with mine it just got to the bit where it wants to apply the patch,
    > said it was checking whether the game was patched or not, then said it was
    > patched already and so it was going on to the next bit. So, it didn't apply
    > a 'with University EP' patch at all. I think most of the time, if people
    > were having issues, it was because they hadn't removed hacks from their
    > games - particularly career hacks - and also any 'remove the blur' patches
    > both of which would cause the installation to go seriously awry. I removed
    > my Downloads folder and the No Blur patch before I installed and everything
    > was fine. My aim was to present the installation programme with the game as
    > it was originally installed (as far as that was possible) - in other words,
    > exactly the thing the installation programme was expecting to see and was
    > designed for.

    So you're saying it's as simple as moving the downloads folder somewhere
    else and then installing University?

    Can I then put the downloads folder back into the game per usual?

    --
    --Cuth

    vecki wrote:
    > You mean I *didn't* have to uninstall and reinstall Sims2?
    >
    > there's three quarters of an hour of my life I'll never get back...
    > waaah.

    Three quarters of an hour???

    My game installed in a few minutes.

    --
    --Cuth

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:42:04 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Mmm - yes it was a problem for many people. Not all hacks caused problems
    >but the biggest problems were caused by people who had careers installed.
    >They really buggered up the installation, especially the skins that came
    >with them.

    Yes, well I still don't understand it, I had career hacks in the game
    and had no problems with installing it, I had an anti-blur patch also
    (the one that changes the exe file). It's only the alcohol image that
    won't work.

    Yes, it's that simple ... as long as everything goes to plan. Do (for the
    third time) remember to remove any no blur patch you have. And have a quick
    check in the other games folders for any files you might have installed (the
    main one is in the Config folder where you find the most common no-blur
    patch but you might find stuff elsewhere - I think some global or hack files
    went in Collections, for instance). It depends on what you've added to the
    game - personally I keep track of all that stuff. Once installed, you can
    then put the Downloads back

    BUT

    first you might want to check out your Objects with SimPE - there's a FAQ on
    the site that tells you how to use SimPE to update any objects that are not
    University compatible. Don't try to update anything else (e.g. skins), ONLY
    OBJECTS. Objects that aren't compatible will generally not crash your game,
    they just turn blue.

    If, when you put the Downloads folder back, your game crashes, the first
    thing to winkle out would be hacks, especially career hacks. Most people
    prefer to take out the whole Downloads folder completely and put it back a
    bit at a time till they find a batch of files that crashes the game, then
    they take out and put back individual files from the batch till they find
    the bad one. The first thing I'd do though would be use Clean Installer to
    scan the Downloads folder for hacks - they show up in red - and take those
    out first and see if it runs. If it doesn't, THEN you take out the whole
    lot and put them back a bit at a time.

    You might want to back up your neighbourhoods before you install. The
    easiest way to do this is simply copy the whole EA Games folder from My
    Documents and put the copy somewhere safe. That's assuming you have room on
    your hard drive. This action will also back up your Downloads folder too,
    assuming you haven't removed it already.

    Finally, if you use hacks and want to use them with University, you will
    find that many work with the Expansion just fine. There are several that
    caused problems however. The biggest culprit was the careers because Maxis
    changed the coding in the part of the programme that deals with careers -
    remember the expansion adds several new career paths and the option to enter
    careers at higher levels than the first. But others cause problems too in
    various ways. Some seem to work but prevent various aspects of the new
    expansion appearing in the game. I discovered that the nudist-simple hacks
    don't work because they hack into the pie menus of the sims and so the new
    EP items in the pie menu (e.g. 'go to class', 'go to final exam' and 'call'
    (using the cell phone)) don't appear. Anyway, the best thing to do is check
    out and see if there are new versions of the hacks you like. Many hack
    creators are updating their hacks to work with the expansion - including the
    careers, I believe, and I'm also waiting on a new nudist hack.

    If you take all these precautions and the thing still doesn't bloody work,
    then 1. you're unlucky and 2. a fresh install will probably be your best
    option (it should work then). Don't, BTW, attempt to copy back your saved
    neighbourhood files once you've installed Uni. The installation of the EP
    changes the organisation of the folders and updates some files and copying
    back the old ones will really bugger things up. Once you have a good
    install those back up files become redundant - you only need them if things
    go horribly wrong (do ask again if you need to reinstate your families and
    neighbourhoods in a fresh install). Finally, when you install you will be
    asked where you want to put the installation - DON'T be tempted to stick it
    in the same place as the original game. The default location which comes up
    during installation is not the same address as your existing files (as you
    will see if you check). I stuck mine in the EA Games folder on my D drive -
    alongside the original game but not in the same folder. So I have two
    folders, one for The Sims 2 and one for the Sims 2 University within that EA
    Games folder. The game needs two parallel installations of the game (they
    share some files and folders so it's not the big space waster that it
    sounds). It tells you this IN THE MANUAL. Most people go with the default
    location and that's fine - it's only people like me who put the game
    somewhere other than the default location that need to think hard about
    this.

    Good luck and report back
    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > Maxon wrote:
    > > Well, with mine it just got to the bit where it wants to apply the
    patch,
    > > said it was checking whether the game was patched or not, then said it
    was
    > > patched already and so it was going on to the next bit. So, it didn't
    apply
    > > a 'with University EP' patch at all. I think most of the time, if
    people
    > > were having issues, it was because they hadn't removed hacks from their
    > > games - particularly career hacks - and also any 'remove the blur'
    patches
    > > both of which would cause the installation to go seriously awry. I
    removed
    > > my Downloads folder and the No Blur patch before I installed and
    everything
    > > was fine. My aim was to present the installation programme with the
    game as
    > > it was originally installed (as far as that was possible) - in other
    words,
    > > exactly the thing the installation programme was expecting to see and
    was
    > > designed for.
    >
    > So you're saying it's as simple as moving the downloads folder somewhere
    > else and then installing University?
    >
    > Can I then put the downloads folder back into the game per usual?
    >

    > --
    > --Cuth

    Yes, I think the key phrase here is NOT ALL hacks caused problems.

    vecki wrote:
    > Cuth said:
    > "My game installed in a few minutes"
    >
    > DVD or CD? I've got the CD version and it took AGES.. My bum certainly
    > felt it was 45 mins...

    Oh, I have the DVD. Guess that explains it.

    --
    --Cuth

Sims Games Video Games