breezer265

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
liquid cooling? 2 video cards? 2 Hard Drives? I am building a gaming computer and this is the build I am thinking of. I am not that knowledgeable about computers, I just want a kick-butt gaming system that can run anything. I already have a monitor. Thanks for any advice you may have and thanks for your time.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
liquid cooling?
- a matter of personal preference. if you can afford it, why not. gives you more headroom for overclocking.

2 video cards?
- not really. unless your gaming at very high resolutions with max settings. a single card config is usually enough given that you're using recent gpus (e.g 4850 up or gts250 up)

2 hard drives?
- if you want to go raid, or store more data. also a matter of personal preference and needs.

breezer265

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
liquid cooling? 2 video cards? 2 Hard Drives? I am building a gaming computer and this is the build I am thinking of. I am not that knowledgeable about computers, I just want a kick-butt gaming system that can run anything. I already have a monitor. Thanks for any advice you may have and thanks for your time.

* CASE: Apevia X-SniperG Mid-Tower Case (Black Color)
* Neon Light Upgrade: NONE
* Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
* Power Supply Upgrade: 1, 000 Watts Power Supplies (Azza Gaming Active PFC Power Supply SLI/CrossFire Ready)
* CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 with Factory OverClocked to 3.8GHz
* COOLING FAN : Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
* MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio
* MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
* FREEBIES: None
* VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX285 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
* VIDEO CARD 2: None
* VIDEO CARD 3: None
* Free Game: FREE GAME - Battle Stations ** Pacific **
* MULTIPLE VIDEO CARD SETTINGS: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
* LCD Monitor: NONE
* 2nd Monitor: NONE
* HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
* Data Hard Drive: NONE
* USB PORTABLE DRIVE: NONE
* Optical Drive: LG GGW-H20L 6X Internal Super Multi Blue Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter & HD DVD-ROM Drive (Black Color)
* Optical Drive 2: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* SPEAKERS: 120 Watt Stereo Speakers (Black Color)
* NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
* MODEM: NONE
* KEYBOARD: Microsoft® Wireless Desktop w/ Wireless Internet Keyboard & Mouse
* MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
* Extra Thermal Display : NONE
* Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: NONE
* Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
* VIDEO CAMERA: NONE
* PRINTER: None
* PRINTER CABLE: None
* IEEE CARD: NONE
* USB PORT: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
* FLOPPY: NONE
* OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
* Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon: None
* FREEBIES: None
* Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: Avermedia AVERTV Bravo Hybrid (ATSC/ClearQAM/NTSC) PCIE Media Center TV Tuner with Remote Control
* SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
* RUSH SERVICE: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

Thanks for your advice :)

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Comments:
- crappy PSU
- 12gb is pure overkill. Waste of resources. 6gb is plenty enough.
- crappy speakers
- why use a tri-sli mobo if your not gonna use it? 3pcs gtx285 in sli in the future?

logainofhades

Titan
Unsure of that PSU either. 12gb for some is not overkill. For gaming though probably so. Motherboard is fine. Most of the really nice X58 boards have a third slot. I say ditch the extra 6gb ram, get a better PSU and go SLI GTX 275's if you can. That or CF a pair of 4890 1gb's. Both are much better bang for the buck. Also go with the i7 920 and just overclock it. The extra 400mhz of the 950 is not worth double the cost of a 920.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
+1 for those comments.

6gb ram
SLI GTX275 or CF HD4890
I7 920 and IC to the 950 speed is FREE and EZ with air cooling.

DONT buy a pre made WaterCooling. If your going this way i would recommand a GOOD aircolling for under 100$ is better or equal and really cheapest.

But ALL the box your saving by following our advise can let you buy a Swiftech Apex kit thats is a real WC kit, not a premade one.

breezer265

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Thanks for your advice guys, very helpful. :) I noticed that almost all of you suggested the NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 1792MB 16X PCIe Video Card. Even over the NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 1.7GB 16X PCIe Video Card? My needs are heavy gaming. Dual-logging WoWarcraft, crysis at max, etc. I am going to drop to 6gigs of memory and invest in a better PSU. Suggestions btw Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 PSU (850w modular 80+), a Thermaltake W0131RU ToughPower 850 Watts- NVIDIA GTX 8800 Certified, [+78] or a or a 1,200 Watts Power Supplies (Thermaltake ToughPower 1,200 Watts Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready) [+177]? Whats the best way to cool a system like this? Do I need a specific sound card for gaming?

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Instead of thermaltake, you should look for Corsair, OCZ or Antec.
The cheapest and safest way is to buy a good case with a good airflow and a good hsf.
ex: HAF 932 and Prolimatech Megahalems + Scythe/ Noctua

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
PSU : get a Corsair 850TX or the better HX

RAM : nice to see you dropped to 6gig

CPU : I7 920 ??? with a decent air cooler you can OC this to 3.4++ really EZ

Case : I love my RC690 from cooler master. I also have a little Antec300 for my HTPC and its very nice too for the price. If you look at the FULL tower, get the CM HAF932 or his little brother the 922. The antec 1200 is good too but cost more.

GPU : This is the QUESTION ! ;) You dont need the GTX295 cause in most case, you can build a SLI or CF and have similar or better performance for a lower price. a SLI GTX275 or a CF HD4890 sticked to a X58 platform can give awesome performance.

HSF : Any knw good 120mm cooling solution
- XIGMATEK Dark Knight
- Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000
- Vigor Monsoon III LT
- Tuniq Tower
- XIGMATEK Rifle

Have fun !