Sign in with
Your question

Asus X58 Sabertooth OC profile

Last response: in Overclocking
March 4, 2011 4:43:37 AM

I have an Asus X58 Sabertooth mobo & this is my 1st ever build. What I need is someone to walk me through overclocking settings that I can store in the OC profile in the BIOS. I've never overclocked before but i've researched quite a lot about it & I do understand the basics but i'd like to get some advice or even the actual settings used. My goal is to have a few OC Profiles ranging from a slight increase up to 4ghz, which I know my CPU will comfortably reach. I have an Intel i7 - 950, Zotac GTX 460 AMP Edition-1Gb, Corsair 6Gb 1600-C9, XMS3 RAM, Corsair AX850 PSU. Any help, advice & actual settings/profiles would be gratefully appreciated.
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 4:58:58 AM

Don't go over say 3.4 or 3.6 with out extreme cooling its just not worth it.
I have a Asus p6t-se i'ts similar.
I have all voltage on auto. bclck on 170 my 1600 ram is at 1704 thats using xmp.
I'm getting pretty much maxed transfer rates with that if i go higher I don't get much benefit. I tried different voltages on my Asus auto works the best.
I'm adding a water cooler soon just to lower temps further. I got a kit for 127.00

try setting xmp then bclock 170-180 ram at 1700-1800 maybe lower timing on your ram if you want leave voltages on your board on auto. set multiplier to 20 for stability and to get rid of the auto overclock feature i cant remember the name. bench mark test and adjust to your liking.

My results are here

March 4, 2011 5:16:27 AM

thanks for the quick reply. I dont think the sabertooth x58 has an auto oc function like other asus boards, thats 1 thing that attracted me to this board, no stupid auto oc tools or oc genie just a sturdy, well built mobo that is durable, stable and reliable. All OCing is done manually which is what i prefer but it also means learning what to adjust and what not to touch thats what i need to learn. I have a Corsair H70 cooler which is at idle at 35c. I've read many a thread/review stating that the i7 950 will comfortably OC to 4ghz with an air cooler and beyond 4.3ghz with liquid cooling!
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 5:25:52 AM

Of course it will go that high on air but its still gonna be hot. see that little utility in my pics that shows transfer rate, transfer rate is more important then your GHZ just cuz u got 4.0 don't mean your fast. Windows experience works well also for real world testing not just a OC number. If your going over 3.6 make sure your disable i think its called speed step so it dosent auto overclock further.

i just ordered this to cool my sht XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 for 130.00
i rather be super cool and last forever.

Start doing some testing , i recommend the auto voltages raise blck under xmp set multiplier where u want i recommend 20. Start testing with PRime to get stable
a c 212 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 148 K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 4:42:45 PM

Just follow this guide ... makes OC'ing "easy as cake / piece of pie".

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2008122019104023...

I'd set up one profile w/ BCLK of 160, Memory Multiplier of 10, auto CPU multiplier of 24 will get you 3.84 Ghz

Next try 167 to get to get 4.0 GHz on CPU, may have to drop mem multiplier to 8 (1333)

Next try 185 w/ 8 mem multiplier and 22 CPU multiplier.

In each case pay particular attention to the voltage optmization section of the guide. Lowering the voltages is key to low temp results.

March 4, 2011 6:10:33 PM

1901309,4,587159 said:
Of course it will go that high on air but its still gonna be hot. see that little utility in my pics that shows transfer rate, transfer rate is more important then your GHZ just cuz u got 4.0 don't mean your fast. Windows experience works well also for real world testing not just a OC number. If your going over 3.6 make sure your disable i think its called speed step so it dosent auto overclock further.

i just ordered this to cool my sht XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 for 130.00
i rather be super cool and last forever.

Can you let me know how you get on with the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240, temps, ease of install, etc. Thanks.
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 6:15:52 PM

sure no prob, i got it for 130 on sidewinder probably get it and install it in the next 2 weeks,
!