Fan controller

moddertucker

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
First I would like to say im a noob and i am sorry if i posted this in the wrong section

I am looking at getting a fan controller so i can control and monitor heat issues with my electronics cabinet. I want this system to be a stand alone system. I am not really into building computers yet and i do not have any spare parts or what not laying around. My question is do i have to buy a PSU in order to run the fan controller or can i just buy an ac to dc adapter with 4 port to power the controller? The controller is meant to help cool a receiver, xbox, laptop and blu-ray player. I am trying to minimize as much possible because there is not much space. I realize there are kits out there already but i refuse to pay 80$ for 2 computer fans with an on and off switch. Which is why i turned to making my own custom unit.

here is a link of what i am talking about:
http://www.crazypc.com/products/7425.html

thanks

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yes, you could as long as the volts and amps required by the controller are pushed by the ac/dc adapter. (Not a fan of the band, but it's always fun to say ac/dc).

Anyways, power is power as long as it is what is needed by the device in question.

However, you might look into how much power your fans will draw:
Output: 12 Volt DC 500mA

It mentions only LEDs, cathodes and small fans. But, depending on how many fans, and what size, you will probably be OK...if it fails, you are only out like $6.