Sign in with
Your question

Which 500W Power Supply

Last response: in Components
August 13, 2009 3:37:07 AM

Hey everybody. I'm looking to build my computer, on a fair budget, performance and value are key for me. I pretty much have everything nailed down except for my power supply.

My video card manufacturer is demanding a minimum of 500W and two 75W six-pin PCI Express power connectors. If you have any other questions on some of my other specs to help in your understanding, just ask and I will provide :)  I do live in Canada so if possible, when referring use canadian sites. I am currently using newegg.ca, tigerdirect.ca, and ncix.com. Remember people, value and performance.

P.S. I did just find a great deal on newegg.ca. It is an 'A-Top Super Charge ATP-AP550B" 550W PSU for 32.99. In terms of value, this is an unparalleled deal, but I had never heard of this brand. Here is the link , as for the PCI connectors it says '1 x 6-pin, 1 x 6 + 2-pin' check the specs and please give advice on this because I am really not sure what to do. Also, I tend to prefer quiet components.

More about : 500w power supply

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 5:48:36 AM

I agree with masterjaw as well.
August 13, 2009 7:07:53 AM

If you invest in a shitty PSU. your card can go upto 75% slower. Which card btw.

Get a Corsair, Zalman. They are very good ones.

A Corsair HX620 - 620watt Modular is what i am using.

and i have plugged in 2 of Ati 4850 on a 23" Full HD display while playing crysis at V.High. They work Great.

Corsair will give you 5years warranty. and a silent fan. and its god price

If yopu can afford it go for HX1000 or any 500+ from BFG.
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 9:13:54 AM

thelivingflesh said:
If you invest in a shitty PSU. your card can go upto 75% slower.

Really? Link please.

Quote:
Get a Corsair, Zalman. They are very good ones.

Most Zalman are average.

Quote:
A Corsair HX620 - 620watt Modular is what i am using.

I think the OP is looking for something a little more budget oriented.

Quote:
If yopu can afford it go for HX1000 or any 500+ from BFG.

Without knowing his system specs and after he asked about a 500W PSU, you would recommend a 1000W? Why?
August 13, 2009 9:25:30 AM

theAnimal said:
Without knowing his system specs and after he asked about a 500W PSU, you would recommend a 1000W? Why?

He didn't read the OP question and jumped to his self-acclaimed conclusions immediately. As I follow his posts, he keeps on suggesting all people to go hx1000 even though it would be inappropriate.

First time to hear someone recommending a Zalman PSU. I thought he was talking about fans.
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 10:45:17 AM

I am powering an overclocked Q6600, an HD4870, two hard drives, and an optical quite nicely on an old Antec 550 watt TP3 in an Antec 900 case. Exhaust air from PSU is less than 5 C above ambient air temp.

Any good 450 - 550 watt PSU should power what he wants to build. My definition of "good" includes Corsair, PC P&C, Seasonic, and Antec.
a c 243 ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 1:25:09 PM

ckaz said:
It is an 'A-Top Super Charge ATP-AP550B" 550W PSU for 32.99. In terms of value, this is an unparalleled deal,

A good price on garbage still gets you garbage.
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 1:33:13 PM

+1 not skimping on your PSU and getting a Corsair, PCP&C, Seasonic, Enermax or Antec Earthwatts PSU.

Please post your system specs and budget so we can help locate the best PSU for you.
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 1:48:59 PM

The Animal recommended a great deal with that 500w Seasonic from NCIX.
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 1:58:08 PM

He did at that!
+1 for the Seasonic
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 4:18:14 PM

jsc said:
I am powering an overclocked Q6600, an HD4870, two hard drives, and an optical quite nicely on an old Antec 550 watt TP3 in an Antec 900 case. Exhaust air from PSU is less than 5 C above ambient air temp.

Any good 450 - 550 watt PSU should power what he wants to build. My definition of "good" includes Corsair, PC P&C, Seasonic, and Antec.

+1. OCZ is also pretty decent. Take a look at the 400CX : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
$50 after MIR
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 5:45:42 PM

^lol. Never even knew that had a modular 450W Corsair. Any one know why it's not sole in US/Canada?
August 13, 2009 6:52:41 PM

Ok guys this all very useful. Someone mentioned me being budget oriented which is correct. When I was saying value I meant decent price, decent quality.
As of now, these are my potential system specs.

Case: Cooler Master RC-690
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Vid Card: ADI Radeon HD 4870, but a bit of an upgraded version. Here is the link .
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 640GB
RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2 6400
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Monitor: Viewsonic 1940w 19"

The whole reason I started this thread was because the system requirements of my vid card, did not meet what my PSU could supply. The manufacturer of the vid card said in the specs that I need a minimum voltage of 500W, plus two 6-pin PCI express power connectors. Its been hard to find a good PSU that has two 6-pin PCI conectors. I have been running into this alot, and I'm not sure what it means, '1 x 6-pin, 1 x 6+2-pin. What does this mean?! I have recently heard that these 'minimum requirements' are not always true, and that usually you can get away with alot lower. Maybe now that I've put up my specs you will be able to recommend one that will meet my real component requirements.
August 13, 2009 6:54:46 PM

The 400CX won't work because it only has 1, 6-pin connector
August 13, 2009 7:16:07 PM

+1 to everyone who recommended good brands..

Seasonic, Corsair, OCZ/PC Power & Cooling, Antec...

If you need roughly 500watts, 2x6 pins, and you want it on a budget then you could look at....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
49.99 after MIR

79.99 after MIR

The PSU is really one area you don't want to skimp on. I don't know about thelivingflesh's comment about 75% slower.... but if your board or GPU isn't getting enough power it will have an affect. Also, when you buy a quality PSU you are paying to keep good, CLEAN, constant energy to your parts. You don't want to risk all your hardware because you saved a couple bucks on the PSU.
a c 243 ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 7:17:50 PM

ckaz said:

'1 x 6-pin, 1 x 6+2-pin. What does this mean?!

It means that the second PCIE connector can be used for either a 6 or 8 pin connection.

August 13, 2009 7:20:54 PM

Sorry i forgot to comment... if you have the choice, a modular PSU is a really nice thing to have. I'm sure you're used to standard PSU's having all the wires there, whether you need them or not. With modular, you only attach the ones you need, so the extras don't get in your way.

Good choice on that case btw, had mine about a month and i absolutely love it.

@ the 1x6+2, that means that there is a small 2 pin click which can attach to that 6pin plug. Some video cards require an 8 pin instead of a 6 (or a 6 and an 8).
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2009 8:07:30 PM

Kithzaru said:
+1 to everyone who recommended good brands..

Seasonic, Corsair, OCZ/PC Power & Cooling, Antec...

If you need roughly 500watts, 2x6 pins, and you want it on a budget then you could look at....

49.99 after MIR

79.99 after MIR

The PSU is really one area you don't want to skimp on. I don't know about thelivingflesh's comment about 75% slower.... but if your board or GPU isn't getting enough power it will have an affect. Also, when you buy a quality PSU you are paying to keep good, CLEAN, constant energy to your parts. You don't want to risk all your hardware because you saved a couple bucks on the PSU.

Good recommendations but OP's Canadian so you'll need to use newegg.ca. ;) 
August 13, 2009 8:25:11 PM

Ok that sounds good. Is it a problem to have to much wattage? like lets say no matter what I will only ever end up sing..500w's, but the 600W PSU is cheaper. Will I end up damaging anything buy getting one with more wattage than I need? And yes, I will appreciate canadian links :) 
August 13, 2009 8:27:52 PM

and, this thing about the modular psu sounds really great. If you see any that fit the criteria, please say so
August 13, 2009 8:57:52 PM

oh noes Canadaland! humm...

Here is the corsair from newegg.ca
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
98.49 minus a 20$ MIR

And here is the OCZ PSU
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
88.99 minus 25 for a MIR

I don't know if the Corsair is modular, i didn't see anything that said it was so i would have to assume it's not.

Now, the OCZ one is modular yes, but it also has 2 rails, so if you decided to get it (or anything with multiple rails) try to not overload one while leaving the other clear.

Also, there is no issues with having a 600 or 1000 watt PSU with a system that only needs say 400. Assuming the PSU is of good quality and is capable of delivering clean power, it should not overload the system with too much power.

and, lastly i apologize for listing USA newegg, i didn't mean to get your hopes up on prices and what not. My mistake, i should have read that you were in Canadaland.

I would also hold off on ordering something until someone else has taken a look at these recommendations here, though Sniper said they were good, and Sniper knows his stuff so .. =D

Good luck
August 13, 2009 9:47:19 PM

for the corsair, it doesn't have the tw pci connectors, so that won't be an option. Its also pretty expensive. For my PSU I don't want to end up spending more than $80
August 13, 2009 10:33:48 PM

The corsair has a 1x6 and a 1x6+2, just like the other. It's under the specifications area.

The corsair is better, but yeah i can understand the cost difference. Again, it would be nice to get some more input but i think that OCZ would suit your needs as well as help reduce clutter.
August 13, 2009 10:48:30 PM

The corsair has all the required connectors, and is among the best of all of the above options. It is expensive though. This one would work well too: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003. It would need an adapter for one of the PCI-E connectors, but it has more than enough power.
August 13, 2009 11:00:45 PM

My suggestion would be this 400w PSU from Corsair. Has 30amps on the 12v rail. It only has one PCI-e connector but you can use a 2 molex to PCI-e adapter just fine.

http://forums.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread...

Side Note : NCIX.com is probably the best Canadian Website for this stuff. Excellent deals and customer service. Plus they do price matching. I got my Corsair HX850 for 184.99 before tax :) 
August 14, 2009 12:26:08 AM

I'm just wondering whether this price match thing on nxic.com is actually legit. Right now I am putting everything that I have in my newegg.ca shopping cart, into my nxic.com shopping cart. I will calculate the shipping and if its cheaper than il go with it. I filed a price match on a couple things, but it seems almost to good to be true. Has anyone ever had any experiences with their price match? if so, how did it go?
a b ) Power supply
August 14, 2009 1:09:09 AM

A quick note on Corsair's PSU naming/line up:

The TX line is "heavy duty".
The CX/VX line is for "good performance for the price
The HX line up is modular. Smiler design to TX.
August 14, 2009 7:34:18 AM

ckaz said:
I'm just wondering whether this price match thing on nxic.com is actually legit. Right now I am putting everything that I have in my newegg.ca shopping cart, into my nxic.com shopping cart. I will calculate the shipping and if its cheaper than il go with it. I filed a price match on a couple things, but it seems almost to good to be true. Has anyone ever had any experiences with their price match? if so, how did it go?

Yeah it's legit. Like i said earlier i price matched my PSU from 229.99 down to 184.99. I pulled the price off of Directcanada.com. Reason i still chose NCIX.com is because i prefer there service.

One thing to note is you can't price match prices after MIR, or Sale Prices. However if the sale price is only like 5 bucks off you might get away with it.
!