Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cpu temps

Last response: in Overclocking
March 4, 2011 8:22:10 PM

So i finally got my new mobo (msi 870a-g54) cpu (AMD phenom II 955 BE) and ram (8gb ripjaws 1333 ddr3)
and installed it all, I had fits getting the cpu stock hsf on (dang clip would go on one side but then couldnt get it down far enough to clip other side) but i finally got it.

I just finished running a cpu occt stress test for 1 hour the max cpu temp was 59c checked both with the occt program and core temp, having never done any of this before my question to you is, is it a good test? normal temp range? ~30c to 59c does it mean I should look into better cooling? any headroom for OC in the future?

More about : cpu temps

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 12:21:33 AM

The max temp for that processor is 62c so don't exceed it.
Yes if you are planning to O.C. you should really look into getting an Aftermarket cooler.I would suggest the Cooler Master Hyper212+,probably the best heatsink for it's price range.

Hyper 212+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would advise against you trying to stress test until you have a more adaquete cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 12:26:47 AM

Seems a little warm, even with the OEM cooler.

I suggest upgrading your case fans for better airflow, but here is how to test which is the best variable before you buy anything:

Pull the side of your case off, blow a desk or house fan on high into the case. Rerun your benchmarks. If your temps go down, you don't have a cooler problem, you have a case airflow problem. If your temps remain the same, get a better cooler.

Even the best cooler will struggle to cool any CPU if there isn't adequate airflow. This principle is often overlooked when people are looking into getting a different cooler. While it will help, it truly won't succeed until the cool airflow will allow it to.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2011 5:01:17 PM

I prepared to do as you said by removing the case side and then went searching for a fan, couldnt find one but did notice that with the side on I was idle at 33c but with the side off, as I am typing this now its at 30c that mean case airflow problem?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 5:24:00 PM

Yes it does.You need to get a better case.

How many fans do you have inside your case?
m
l
March 5, 2011 5:45:38 PM

case is about 5 years old, Apevia not sure what model, full tower, has 2 fans <think they are 80mm> one top sucking air out of the case and one in the back also sucking air out of the case, this system was originaly built by cyberpower and I have only recently started to replace things
m
l
March 5, 2011 5:57:24 PM

Also the side which is off now has a vent in it in the area where the graphics card is and a port that was centered on the cpu hsf in my old setup but it slightly offcenter for this mobo, the port is round and has some sort of plastic extender that brings it down almost to within an inch of the hsf giving it a wind tunnel effect I guess
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 11:13:31 PM

Since it's a Full tower it should have some mounts somewhere in the front for another fan.You should install a fan in the front cause theirs no air going into the cause.Just from the outcut in the side panel.
March 6, 2011 1:08:10 AM

yes there looks to be holes for mounting an 80 mm fan in the front, also the rear fan mount has another set of holes further out from the ones used for the 80mm, might be 120mm (about an inch from one set of holes to the outer set) and the hole in the side panel looks like an 80mm fan would mount right in, so if i move the rear 80mm to the front and have it intake the get a good 120mm for the rear exhaust and maybe get another 80mm for intake on the side?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 1:33:39 AM

Yes that should work well.Is the fan mounts at the front going to be blocked by a faceplate or anything or will get get a good constant source of air supply?
If i was you i would even get new 80mm fans.The one they ship with the case's and processors are very weak and barely move any CFM's.

If you do go looking for new 80mm Fans i would suggest looking for fans that are in the 30CFM range.As for a 120mm fan look for around 70CFM+.

I can look for you if you want.Are you in the US?Do you want LED fans?Their about the same price as regular ones.

The new fans should give you better airflow and decrease your system temps across the board but don't forget if you want to do some O.C.ing your gonna need a new CPU heatsink.The Hyper 212 is perfect,IMO,and is highly respected across the world.
m
l
March 6, 2011 2:02:14 AM

If you want to make some suggestions on fans thats great, the front mount has the standard "holes drilled or punched in metal" type mesh on the case but also plastic mesh on the plastic front case cover, there is about 1/2 inch empty space between the 2 mesh, the door on the front of the case will restrict flow thru the outer mesh when closed but it wouldnt be that hard to open the door a bit when I game to increase flow.

I was looking at these fans: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

as for the cpu cooler I allready have one of these that I bought to go into my old system about 2 months ago before I decided to fully upgrade http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

would it work if I needed to up the cooling later on to OC?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 2:14:58 AM

The TX3 would work but it is a lil weak when you need it.I still suggest getting the Hyper 212+.I just got off of another Thread of a person saying they have high temps with the same processor you are using and they were using a TX3.It's not a bad cooler but it's not meant for high wattage CPU's like the Phenom ii x4's.I would think the TX3 is meant for more like 80watt CPU's.

The Xigmatek fans are bit more expensive but if you can spare the cash then go for it.How many 120mm mounts are there?You said one on the back but are you sure their isn't room for one in the front?
m
l
March 6, 2011 2:23:38 AM

front mount is only 80mm I am positive, I have maybe $30 spare to spend on case fans right now or I can wait and have more to spend in a few weeks, not an emergency situation as my temps max out at 50c when gaming for hours on max settings and any OC I would do would be months in the future, but would be nice to see max load 1 hour stress test temps in the 45c range
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 3:17:32 AM

You sure you don't want LED's?
I would say go ahead and get the Case fans now.Their not that expensive,but then again like you said, it's no emergency.

Also if the added case fans don't help or you don't want the Temps where their at, try lowering your CPUvoltage to 1.325 until you want to O.C.
I've heard lots of people saying the voltage is set to 1.4 by default but it's actually supposed to be at 1.325 for the Phenom ii x4 955.
m
l
March 6, 2011 3:41:33 AM

where do I find that voltage? this is the info I have and LED's dont matter to me, performance does

m
l
March 6, 2011 3:45:27 AM

sorry i cant seem to get the pics sized right to read the values

according to speedfan vcore graph the voltage jumps around from 1v to 1.4v, I guess lower voltage when idle?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 4:56:17 AM

AMD Cool&Quiet is on.It reduces the voltages and clocks when it idles to conserve energy,also it's supposed to save money on the electrical bill.I have mine turned off because it's O.C.ed.

Don't use AMD Overdrive go into the BIOS and reduce the CPU volt to 1.325.But if you did want to use AMD Overdrive the CPU voltage is the first one in the Voltage list.See here....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 4:59:30 AM

As i can see your BIOS and AMD Overdrive aren't communicating correctly,one of the problems with using AMD Overdrive.You see the multiplier bars under the "Clocks" section on the bottom left,it's suppoed to unlocked so you can advance past 16x but it's not because your BIOS and AMD Overdrive aren't working together correctly.If you ever wanted to change something or O.C. do it from the BIOS.In the BIOS the multiplier is unlocked and can go past 16x.
m
l
March 6, 2011 12:11:16 PM

Yea I didnt figure it would be that easy to OC, my mobo has an easy OC function on it, button and dial on the mobo to tweak the fsb I think, but from all I have heard its kinda crap too, guess the old fashion ways are still the best, but thats the reason any OC'ing is months down the road for me as I have never done any of that and dont know what I am doing yet....and after stepping up to this rig from my old stock e6750 dual core this thing feel super fast allready, besides other than mmo gaming <currently running Rift at max settings> and web surfing this comp is just a hobby.
m
l
March 6, 2011 12:12:02 PM

Best answer selected by jim45682.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 5:34:23 PM

Alright well just make sure you lower the CPU Voltage until your ready to O.C.You don't need it that high and it will increase the life cycle of the processor.
m
l
March 10, 2011 6:52:11 PM

purple stank said:
Alright well just make sure you lower the CPU Voltage until your ready to O.C.You don't need it that high and it will increase the life cycle of the processor.

Well I ordered the fans and got them in, went with the Xigmatek fans, so now I have 2x front 80mm intake fans (thought it was a single spot but ended up it was a side-by-side fan mount allowing 2) 1x rear 120mm exhaust, 1x top 80mm exhaust and 1x side 80mm intake with an air tube directing it directly at the cpu hsf.

I also took the opportunity to reroute all my cables to provide the best airflow possible, the rear exhaust and side intake are both plugged into the mobo chassis fan connectors, the other 3 are all molex adapted.

Cool and quiet is on auto, smart fan is disabled voltage is still set on auto (I tried setting 1.325 in bios, but the only options close were 1.335 and 1.227 and when set to either of those the bios shows them in red as unsafe)
Ambient room temp 22c sitting fully idle 26c as I am typing this with 4 web pages open its bouncing between 26c and 27c and running OCCT stress test 100% load it maxes at 57c but averages 55c down 3-4c from before the new fans
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2011 9:26:13 PM

The voltage is to high and the stock heatsink is the reasons why the temps are still so high.Although it's not nesscesary,i would advise you to turn down the voltage to 1.3.1.335 is fine it doesn't have to be perfect.The mobo is giving you that because it isn't the default settings.It shouldn't be any problem becuase your actually lowering the voltage rather than raising it.Which won't casue any harm at all.The voltage that it's at right now combined with the stock heatsink is why your temps are so high.Turn down the voltage until you get a new heatsink.

I guess theirs not much point in adding new fans anyway because i forgot that your using the stock heatsink.Stock heatsinks have the fan right on top of the heatsink itself so they can't breathe.
m
l
March 11, 2011 3:18:24 AM

purple stank said:
The voltage is to high and the stock heatsink is the reasons why the temps are still so high.Although it's not nesscesary,i would advise you to turn down the voltage to 1.3.1.335 is fine it doesn't have to be perfect.The mobo is giving you that because it isn't the default settings.It shouldn't be any problem becuase your actually lowering the voltage rather than raising it.Which won't casue any harm at all.The voltage that it's at right now combined with the stock heatsink is why your temps are so high.Turn down the voltage until you get a new heatsink.

I guess theirs not much point in adding new fans anyway because i forgot that your using the stock heatsink.Stock heatsinks have the fan right on top of the heatsink itself so they can't breathe.

Dropped the voltage back down to 1.335, disabled cool and quiet and ran occt cpu test for 30 min, max 54c averaged 52c would I be better off with that TX3 that I have laying around untill I can afford a better hsf? or just stick with stock untill then?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 3:21:11 PM

It isn't nessesary because theirs nothing that you can do that will max out your comp as much as a stress test,so the stockheatsink is fine until you decide to O.C.But since it's laying around why don't you give it a try and see what temps you get just for fun.
m
l
March 11, 2011 3:45:39 PM

purple stank said:
It isn't nessesary because theirs nothing that you can do that will max out your comp as much as a stress test,so the stockheatsink is fine until you decide to O.C.But since it's laying around why don't you give it a try and see what temps you get just for fun.

No thanks cause that damn AMD clip system took me nearly an hour to get on the stock one, the less I deal with that the better
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 4:26:31 PM

So when will you offically be getting a new cooler and start O.C.ing?
m
l
March 11, 2011 9:28:26 PM

purple stank said:
So when will you offically be getting a new cooler and start O.C.ing?

month or 2 at least, cpu is fast enough at 3.2 to run anything out there right now especially with the 8 gig ram, the only bottleneck i get gaming is my internet connection it seems, so I have coretemp set to alarm if I get to 58c and should be fine for as long as i need, and at least now I have upgraded the case airflow for when I do get a better hsf and start tweaking the cpu, also may help is I move my 2 ram modules to the 2 slots farthest from the cpu as on this mobo the first 2 slots are very close to the cpu, I just put them there cause thats what the mobo manual said but have heard others with this mobo put theirs in farther slots fine
m
l
March 11, 2011 11:13:35 PM

purple stank said:
Thats good.RAM does create little heat but still it's heat and your heatsink still sucks it in.

You said you had a TX3 laying around?Is it useable?
Does it look like this?

yep thats the one, got it for my old e6750 system when I had to replace its hsf
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 11:20:17 PM

Wow.Thats actually just a step below the Hyper 212+.Yet it is still 10x better than the stock heatsink.
I would reccomend swaping out the stock heatsink for that immieditly!!!
You will definitly see a temp drop.
m
l
March 11, 2011 11:24:55 PM

purple stank said:
Wow.Thats actually just a step below the Hyper 212+.Yet it is still 10x better than the stock heatsink.
I would reccomend swaping out the stock heatsink for that immieditly!!!
You will definitly see a temp drop.

guess I should start searching for the box of parts that came with it for the AMD mounting hardware heh
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 11:25:50 PM

Yes i think that would be a good idea.
Report back on your temps if you get it together.
m
l
March 11, 2011 11:28:26 PM

only thing is i think with this socket layout it will have to be an updraft instead of a crossdraft (airflow thru cooler from bottom of case upward instead of front to back
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2011 11:51:24 PM

Thats is fine,i would actually rather my heatsink to be like that but it won't work.

Do you have a graphics card?
m
l
March 11, 2011 11:59:05 PM

purple stank said:
Thats is fine,i would actually rather my heatsink to be like that but it won't work.

Do you have a graphics card?

Yes I have an Evga GTS 450 with the free performance boost (slight factory OC) I cant install the other cooler right now as I havent got any more thermal paste used the last of it when I installed the stock cooler since I had to keep reapply having to pull it off and reseat it since I was having trouble getting the clip to seat, so i am ordering more now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2011 12:07:23 AM

Alright.That card isn't huge and doesn't put out a lot of heat so you should be fine putting the heatsink vertical.
Just wait for your Thermal Paste and put in the TX3 and your temps should be good.And i think it's possible to O.C. a little bit with it,depending on your temps but well find out.
m
l
March 12, 2011 12:51:51 AM

purple stank said:
Alright.That card isn't huge and doesn't put out a lot of heat so you should be fine putting the heatsink vertical.
Just wait for your Thermal Paste and put in the TX3 and your temps should be good.And i think it's possible to O.C. a little bit with it,depending on your temps but well find out.

Will post stress temps once installed, be next week or so cause got to wait on the thermal stuff, going with the Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound
figure its about same price as arctic silver 5 and reviews say it performs better
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2011 1:36:52 AM

Haven't heard of it but if it's from Noctua it's probably really good.
Don't forget to post once you get everything.
Goodluck
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2011 7:34:02 PM

Apevia is a horrible case maker.That explanis all the 80mm fans.They aren't really desinged with High airflow in mind.Still,their are far worse case's out there,at least you have some fan support.
m
l
March 13, 2011 8:20:16 PM

purple stank said:
Apevia is a horrible case maker.That explanis all the 80mm fans.They aren't really desinged with High airflow in mind.Still,their are far worse case's out there,at least you have some fan support.

The stock case fans are now repurposed to the side-by-side front intake mount, the new fans are in the rear 120mm mount, and top 80mm mount, the side port with the air duct I removed the duct, mounted an 80mm in the vent then mounted the duct to the fan blowing directly into the cpu cooler fan
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2011 8:46:44 PM

You have a 120mm fan in a 80mm slot.
You sure it's getting enough air?

Did your temps change at all and did you install the TX3?
m
l
March 13, 2011 9:06:21 PM

purple stank said:
You have a 120mm fan in a 80mm slot.
You sure it's getting enough air?

Did your temps change at all and did you install the TX3?

the slot is actually made for 120mm but with holes set for 80mm in the center so yea its getting full airflow, havent gotten the thermal stuff yet so I cant install the TX3 yet, temps dropped from 59c to 56c at full load when I installed the new case fans
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2011 9:38:34 PM

Thats good to hear.Once you get either the TX3 or the Hyper 212 installed your temps should easily drop into the 40's.
m
l
March 17, 2011 8:03:45 PM

purple stank said:
Thats good to hear.Once you get either the TX3 or the Hyper 212 installed your temps should easily drop into the 40's.

Finally got the thermal compound in, also ordered and got the arctic silver ceaner and surface prep kit, figure might as well try it.

So I got the TX3 installed, went easier than the stock hsf but I dont like that there is a slight (like 1/16th of an inch) area along one side that the TX3 doesnt cover the cpu but no overhang on the otherside to compensate.

I was able to install it with front to back airflow after moving my RAM into the farthest slots, seeing this I also took the time to move my HDD to the bottom slot so that the front intake fans blow directly over the top of it to the cooler instead of under it then over the graphic card, and in the back its almost close enough to the 120mm exhaust fan that i should get a kind of push-pull effect. I may have to play around with the top exhaust and side intake though to get best perfomance, right now the side is an intake with ~1 inch of clearance between it and the top of the TX3 and the top fan is an exhaust blowing air out of the case ~6 inches above and 1 inch in front of the TX3 fan, so I may turn that to intake so its not stealing fresh air from the TX3.

I went in and manually set voltage to 1.335, disabled cool and quiet and smart fan, ambient temps in the room are 68-70f and the computer is sitting at 32c as i type this, going to go run OCCT and see where my max is.
m
l
March 17, 2011 9:08:59 PM

Ran the same OCCT cpu test as I had run before, max temp now was a single spike of 49c but normally stayed between 46c and 48c, thats about a 10c difference, my idle temps are bout the same as my stock hsf 30-33c, so now I should have the headroom to do some mild overclocking
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 18, 2011 1:04:18 AM

When you get the Hyper 212+ you should be able to use all your RAM slots again.Mostly stock heatsinks will hover around the same idle temps as aftermarket heatsinks.It's just the imense heat that it can't deal with.

Report back if you O.C.
m
l
March 18, 2011 1:37:48 AM

purple stank said:
When you get the Hyper 212+ you should be able to use all your RAM slots again.Mostly stock heatsinks will hover around the same idle temps as aftermarket heatsinks.It's just the imense heat that it can't deal with.

Report back if you O.C.

Currently runnin OCCT to check temps on an over clock to 3.8, I kept bumping the multiplyer by .5 and running 3DMark vantage untill I got a bsod at x19 multiplier, then I stepped the voltage up untill I could run it without bsod, if my temps dont seem too bad (hovering around 54c now 30 min into test) should I move to the bus speed? I had it running stable (1.5 hours prime95 max temp 58c) set at 213 bus 1.335 voltage and x17 (I think) multiplier giving me 3.5 speed yesterday
m
l
March 18, 2011 5:17:44 AM

1 hour prime95 run, 50 tests 0 errors 0 warnings max temp was 60c but it only hit that twice in the hour and allways dropped back to 57-58c right away, I think this 3.8 OC is prolly my max untill I get better cooling, but going from 3.2 to 3.8 on a TX3 in this case isnt bad I dont think, what are your thoughts? my stable specs are x19 multiplier and 1.38 voltage, everything else is stock, I could prolly drop voltage down a bit if needed, though prime95 had an error after around 50 min at x19 with 1.35
m
l
!