Another problem: WD3200SD 320gb dead (heats up but doesnt spin)

neonzion

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Hello,
After 6 years of building computers, this personal build has been the MOST annoying. With 3 RMA's, one over heating power supply and 2 different cpus, I FINALLY bought a high quality ASUS board. Specs:

AMD Phenom II X3 740 BE AM3 Tri-core CPU 3.60ghz
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 DDR3 crossfire motherboard
EVGA GTX 460 768MB DDR5 859core/1900mem (so far)
Kingston HyperX 1GB 1800MHZ DDR3
Western Digital Blue caviar WD3200 sata hard drive (DEAD)
Ebay 2GB DDR3 1333mhz 1.5v ram stick
Cooler Master CM690 NV690 Nvidia case
Cooler Master Hyper 101A AM3 CPU cooler
Okia 550ATX 550 watt power supply (modded)

Ok so hopefull my motherboard will last longer than the other boards. But yesterday when i got the board, it would not read my Western Digital WD3200SD-01KNB0 320GB Sata hard drive. I thought it was a loose cable but after 3 hours i figured the drive was dead. I left it in the freezer overnight but no luck. Im getting tired of computers -.-'... Now i left the drive plugged in for 2 hours and heat comes from it but the drive wont spin nor be detected by anything.

If ANYONE has a solution. I think the problem is the Logic board but i dont have any money left. Is there anything i can do =(. I am forced to use a 6.5gb ide hard drive with linux. Whats the point of having a system like mine.

I BEG of you guys to help me. PLEASE come up with a reasonable solution. Illl take any drives if you feel like giving me a New years present.

Thanks guys

RIP 320gb hdd :'(

Solution
If the drive doesn't spin, but does heat up, I'd guess that the spindle is somehow stuck. This would cause the motor to draw extra current, explaining the heat. I don't think that there is anything besides an RMA which would resurrect it. You might try pm'ing crashman (one of the tomshardware staffers - I seem to remember him saying that he used to work at a place which repaired drives.

As far as a used drive, the only one I have is a 250G caviar blue which was giving SMART errors last time I used it. Sorry :(

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
If the drive doesn't spin, but does heat up, I'd guess that the spindle is somehow stuck. This would cause the motor to draw extra current, explaining the heat. I don't think that there is anything besides an RMA which would resurrect it. You might try pm'ing crashman (one of the tomshardware staffers - I seem to remember him saying that he used to work at a place which repaired drives.

As far as a used drive, the only one I have is a 250G caviar blue which was giving SMART errors last time I used it. Sorry :(

Solution

neonzion

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
*sighs* DUDE FML. But it sat there without use for 2 weeks, how did it break? The problem is, cuz im so broke, i had to buy used... So no rma =( But he would probably tell me to buy a new pcb or sumthing. Ill see into it though. I just want to know if there is any kind of trick that can bring it back...

AWW thanks for looking anyways man =)

neonzion

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
i tried the freezer... three times... no luck... =( i read sumwer that u can put the hdd in the oven too. To reflow the logic board (just like gfx) and to put the actual hard drive component back together.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I'd remove the board before you try it - and make sure there are no plastic parts on it. Some components are not re-flow compatible :)

And again, try crashman, see if he has any ideas.

neonzion

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Thanks for all the help man. Ok tomorrow i may try the reflow. =) Maybe i contact him if reflow doesnt work... Thanks again