esc0bar

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hello people!

I tried everything I knew to fix my computer and nothing worked so here I am...

My computer wouldnt display anything on my monitor 2 weeks ago(no post, no bios, just "power saving") so I sent it to the repair shop and the guy changed my motherboard. It crashed every once in a while due to blue screen but I thought it would fix itself with a Windows reinstall.

I reinstalled windows this week and the problem is still there. I get a blue screen error 0x0000050 whenever I do multiple tasks at once. I even got these errors while I was reinstalling windows. As if it werent enough of a problem. None of my downloads seem to work, it always says the .rar files are corrupted. I even took my friend's external hard drive and one of his rar file(which totally works at his place) was corrupted when I tried to unrar it on my computer.

I tried a memtest86 and the Western Digital scan and hdtune... no errors were shown. The only error I got was with orthos:
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

my specs:
m2n68-am se2
geforce 8600gts
2 x 1gb ram ocz gold pc6400 800mhz
Athlon x2 5200+
550w power sup

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completly at a loss right now.

Thank you!

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well, I'd try resetting the BIOS to Optimal Defaults or similar.

The only thing that I'd try is replacing the Power supply.

Note that the problems you had with the old motherboard are not the same as the new one. Often, "new" motherboards at shops are not new, but ones taken from other systems with problems. Might try that route again, making it clear that the shop's new board isn't working and detail the steps you've taken. Since you can easily demonstrate the problems to the tech, it should be easy to fix and test - with a shop, you have parts you can swap out, like the power supply and the motherboard.

esc0bar

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
After more testing i found out one of my memory stick was bad...

I decided to buy a 2gb kingston 800mhz and got another problem.

My computer won't boot when I use the new kingston with my good ocz 800mhz stick.

Bahh!! Anyone?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I haven't chk'd your motherboard specs, but we can assume it support dual-channel memory. Putting un-matches single modules into a pair of slots is always a no-no. At the least, you may disable dual-channel, meaning all your RAM runs at half the performance level. At worst, it doesn't boot. So either buy a 2nd kingston, or ideally a paired set and return the single - or try to find an identical OCZ module - hard to do if more than a few months old.

Thought it was passing memtest? Did you test the old modules one at a time to identify one being bad?

TRENDING THREADS