Sign in with
Your question

Need XP 64 bit antivirus and firewall software

Last response: in Windows XP
October 12, 2011 9:52:56 PM

Hello,
I have been happily running a nice 64 bit xp pro system, full of programs that work well. My AVG antivirus/firewall got hosed so I downloaded 2012 AVG, and found it no longer supported XP 64bit. I cruised around and found...nada. I tried the Comodo internet security, but only the firewall installed....I guess the antivirus is not 64 bit xp compatible. So the question: is there any antivirus/firewall program out there that still does xp 64bit? Prefer free, but would pay if needed. I would prefer to not upgrade to windows 7 because it will wipe my perfectly working programs out.
Related resources
October 13, 2011 11:20:24 AM

Thanks!
m
l
October 14, 2011 11:09:08 AM

So, for those in a similar boat, here was my solution.

I tried the Avast free antivirus, but when I went to register it, there was a great deal for upgrading to their internet security program. I paid for the upgrade.

but then, after upgrading, the firewall would not work. To get it to work I needed to do these 2 steps:

1) remove all traces of other security programs that I had lingering on the system (a simple un-install apparently leave remnants of old firewalls on your machine, that avast could not tolerate). I use these programs for any security I had previously tried:
http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/
2) The firewall still would not run. It seemed like the free avast antivirus never fully upgraded to internet security, even though I used the new license file given when I paid. (note, the license they email you is the same one as the license file you immediately got when you gave them credit card info). I then went to add/remove programs, and although "repair" did not work, "update" did download and upgrade my internet security with a fresh load of the software. After the "update" from add/remove programs was done, the firewall was working fully.

So far...happy with avast internet security. It does not seem to slow any of my programs down noticeably.

Hopefully Avast will keep supporting XP 64 bit for years to come!!!!!
m
l
November 23, 2011 10:01:49 PM

Free Avast offers more features like IM, e-Mail, Web Scanning than Free Avira.

Windows Firewall does what it suppose to do.
The last Comodo (5.5) I tried left ports closed & not stealth.
m
l
!