Sign in with
Your question

Speed Fan Vs Core Temp?

Last response: in CPUs
August 13, 2009 6:47:15 AM

I have an Intel i7 920. I'm getting 26-28C on idle in Speed Fan, and 41-43C in Core Temp. What gives? Which one do I believe? I'm not familiar with temp utilities, but you would think they would be closer. I'm considering getting a new CPU fan if that's the case. Load temps get at 87C on Core temp. I'll post what speed fan is later as I do not know.

Thanks alot!

More about : speed fan core temp

a c 126 à CPUs
August 13, 2009 7:36:06 AM

Well I remember that with the G0 stepping of the Q6600 and the Q6X50s and 45nm quads Speedfan would drop 15c from the real temp. Possibly its doing the same thing as Core i7 does use the same digital temp sensor system.

BTW, what fan do you have now? A stock one? Even when running stock I always suggest a aftermarket fan because they are just better. I think the Thermalright Ultra 120 is one of the best.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2009 8:24:53 AM

Core i7 contains Tjunctio Target in one of its Model-Specific Registers. This is software-readable and most programs will retrieve this when they detect an i7 instead of using a pre-defined Tj Max like with Core 2. Speedfan doesn't yet do this and defaults to about 85C for Tj Max (not exactly sure what it is). If you want to use Speedfan then simply run Core Temp along side it and adjust the offsets for each DTS until they read the same. You can read how to configure the offsets in Section 11 of the Core 2 and Core i7 Temperature Guide. I think Speedfan still has trouble with Hyperthreading and will show up 8 core temperatures in pairs of identical readings. You can use the configuration to disable the unneeded ones and rename them properly. Core 0, 2, 4 and 6 are the only ones you need to look at and can be renamed to Core 0, 1, 2 and 3 once you disable the others.
m
l
August 14, 2009 5:08:48 AM

Hey thanks alot!
I looked at bios temp and it was 40C. It looks like I'll use core temp for now. I think I'll give the V8 cooler master another try. It wouldn't seat right last time. I took it all apart and found only the outside edges of cpu were contacting the cooler. Reseated it again same thing. I think it was defective unless i was doing something wrong? Returned it, and bought a thermal take cooler at best buy, but it looks like I'm still running hot? Any suggestions? I was told to reseat the CPU?
m
l
!