Dell E510 Motherboard based on a retail board?

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Some manufacturer motherboards are based on board available retail. I have a Dell e510 and was wondering if anyone knows if the e510 board is based of a retail board as well. Dell calls this board a RD203 KF623 Featuring Intel 945G Chipset LGA775. Reason is I'm looking for a compatible bios. These are two simple questions if you know the answer great and thank you. If you don't do not worry about it.

Solution
The boards were made by Intel specifically OEM for Dell Dimension E510 5150 5100 computers. The form factor is BTX, so they were never sold for non-OEM uses - no consumer motherboards were ever made for sale alone.

The computer is about 4 years old and if you're really determined to brick the BIOS you can search for other Intel 945G boards from makers like Asus, Foxconn, etc... and try their BIOS updates. You won't find an exact match for the reasons stated above.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Even if you can track down a retail board, like Asus, that matches the one in your Dell, I don't recommend you do a BIOS upgrade not offered by Dell. The retail board may have revisions yours doesn't have or vice-versa. Flashing the BIOS with incorrect files will result in your computer not working again.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I've owned one Dell computer and it was my first and last. And the reason for that was I found it too difficult to upgrade, from formating the HD and installing a newer OS, to removing the motherboard and installing it to a standard case, as well as the BIOS issues, etc...
Listen to Mongox, if it's DELL use only DELL bios or you may corrupt the BIOS chip which will more trouble to fix than what the motherboard is worth.

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Please ignore what is said above I still want the name of the board or bios that may work if anyone knows it.

So far the only thing I've learned is that Foxconn makes a lot of boards for Dell from what I understand but I still don't know if there is a retail board that it is based off of.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
The boards were made by Intel specifically OEM for Dell Dimension E510 5150 5100 computers. The form factor is BTX, so they were never sold for non-OEM uses - no consumer motherboards were ever made for sale alone.

The computer is about 4 years old and if you're really determined to brick the BIOS you can search for other Intel 945G boards from makers like Asus, Foxconn, etc... and try their BIOS updates. You won't find an exact match for the reasons stated above.

Solution

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
That didn't work mongox but thanks. I have narrowed it down to two boards that it could be or at least the closest thing to my current board.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D945PAW/
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gbo/

The question is which the choose and will it work? If only I could get a bios string from my phoenix bios.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Tell me again your purpose for upgrading the BIOS. Usually even the manufacturer tells you if there are no issues, don't play with the BIOS. In your case, there are no new CPUs or hard drives that take advantage of your old mobo.

What revision do you have and what does Dell say about the BIOS history?

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I wanted to see if I could get my PentiumD to run 3.0Ghz for fun basically and if I ruined my motherboard I'd just get a new one with a case (atx... btx... you know). But I've been thinking about it a bit more logically lately. The chances of it working are slim to none and I have a friend that could use this computer and would be very gratful to have it. So I'm starting think maybe I should just go ahead and by the new case board and processor and give away my e510 case, board, and processor. As much fun as it would be the blow up the Mobo it could probably serve my friend for many more years...

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Sounds like a fine idea! Even with a newer BIOS, it's unlikely to give you any options for overclocking that you don't have now - likely none.

Building a new system that fits your needs - and desires - is a great plan.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
If you're serious about experimenting and OC'ing your Pentium D, there are plenty of used brand name motherboards on eBay for $10 that would be more suited for your experiment. However, with the combo of an old CPU and old mobo and extra voltages (those pathways could be hanging on for dear life by a very thin thread literally) , you risk blowing up both.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
100Islands - what's a good Intel CPU that's both inexpensive and got motherboard choices that give it lots of OC options?

I know the AMD Phenom II 550 Black Edition with a motherboard can be had for around $160.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well, I'm not sure you'll find a BTX AMD motherboard. Haven't looked however. It's an Intel standard and hasn't caught on much so far in the 'clone' community.

The CPU I have has the advantage of being priced at an X2 but about 70% of folks with the proper BIOS can convert it into an X4. Just luck of the draw really.

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Well I meant that I have a BTX case so I'd have to get a new one. Come to think of it though my friend has an ATX case... I could trade her my e510 for the case that would be a significant upgrade for her as I'm not even sure her processor is a single core 2ghz.