Sign in with
Your question

Segate or WD for external hard disk 1TB?

Last response: in Storage
December 31, 2010 4:22:34 AM

I am using 500 GB Segate Free Agent Go and am very satisfied with it. I used it quite roughly and it still works perfectly. Its been quite some time now.

Now I want to buy a 1TB hard disk. This time, I'd like to take in account reliability and transfer rate as well.

I don't care about the little differences in price. The options am considering are

Portable
WESTERN DIGITAL MY BOOK ESSENTIAL 1000GB
SEAGATE FREE AGENT 1TB

These are desktop drives right? They need adapters for power? Are they reliable, as in power cut off very often here, daily basis. Will they do any good?

or should i go for ultra portable, as I have a laptop too.

WESTERN DIGITAL 1000GB 2.5" PASSPORT ESSENTIAL SE 3.0

Where will i get good data transfer rate, please guide. Thanks

More about : segate external hard disk 1tb

December 31, 2010 10:56:04 AM

Personally I would always go for the WD over Seagate. I've had no issues with WD after using maybe 50 drives in dozens of computer builds.. where as I've used maybe 5-6 Seagate drives and every single one has failed on me at some point. Maybe I'm just painfully unlucky.. and I know that's not always going to be teh case, but for me WD wins hands down.
m
l
December 31, 2010 12:18:46 PM

If you are going with a 3.5" HD form factor, then you could put an external drive together yourself. I would suggest the drive below with an external enclosure with USB and eSATA. Enclosures can be had for under $25 giving you a 2TB external drive for just over $100. Plenty on NewEgg or your local supplier. USB 3.0 and eSATA will give you the best performance (if your MB supports it).
Samsung F4 2TB => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Same thing can be done with the 2.5" form factor as well, but the price breaks are not there. A 1TB laptop drive alone will be just shy of $100. which makes the price of the WD Passport @ $115 worth the buy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
a c 316 G Storage
December 31, 2010 1:10:01 PM

tomsfan said:
These are desktop drives right? They need adapters for power? Are they reliable, as in power cut off very often here, daily basis. Will they do any good?

If the power goes out to a disk drive while you are writing to it, you can have problems from the particular file being unusable to the drive being bricked (unlikely, but I've seen cases of it on the forums here). Do you own a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)? If not, get your wallet or purse, go to the nearest decent computer store, and buy one. I won't go into sizing here; if you are really going to get one you can post another question.

That said: You mentioned taking transfer rate into account. Well, if you get an external drive that connects by ESATA (I'm assuming that the computer is new enough to have SATA), you will get much more throughput. Otherwise, the choice between the two is, in my humble opinion, apples vs. apples. I've owned disks from both brands, and had occasional failures from both.

And now the sales pitch, which you are free to ignore. My favorite method is to have bare drives for backup / extra storage. These are stored very carefully in anti-static cases. I use a permanently installed bay in my PC that accepts bare drives. Easy in, easy out, uses the PC's power, and absolutely useless for your laptop.

=================

On the topic of the ultra-portable: That depends entirely on what you will use the drive for. Extra data you need with you. If it's for backups, will you really be doing backups on the road? If not, ultraportable is a waste. I do reasonably good backups, but choose not to worry about it on the road.

=================

OK, this was a long and rambling answer, but the format kind of depends on the intended use. And I personally have found both brands to be reliable, with the exception of the infamous Seagate 7200.11 series.
m
l
January 3, 2011 10:33:11 AM

Definitely western digital because there more reliable.
m
l
January 3, 2011 11:42:33 AM

^+1

They're known for being the most reliable.. and as the price is about the same you might as well get WD. Great drives and low heat :]
m
l
!