Last response: in Systems
May 10, 2009 12:49:11 AM

I have just built a system with:
GAEP45Ud3R Mobo
9500gt Zalman HS
Corsair Domminator Memory
QX9650 CPU
OCZ stealth stream 600w.

I powered up and got the BIOS and was editing away (never got to save) and then the BIOS locked. I shut down and tried to restart but now the system just keep restarting with nothing on the screen and no beeps. I cannot figure out what the problem is. Has anyone seen this before...

More about : post restarting

May 10, 2009 1:20:36 AM

please guys, my knowledge has reached its limits on whats wrong...are there any suggestions...thanks
May 10, 2009 4:37:30 AM

Try removing the mobo battery for ~15 seconds.
Related resources
May 10, 2009 9:29:20 AM

Tried that. Here in total is what i tried.
removed video card - same issue.
removed 2 sticks of ram - same issue.
disconnected all peripherals , fw, usb - same issue
removed heatsink and replaced - same issue
removed cdrom and hdd - same issue
Cleared CMOS via jumpers - same issue
Cleared CMOS via battery removal and contact short - same issue
Removed loading of all 4 system fans - same issue

Today I'm going to remove the mobo and look for a short but i know there wont be anything as i spent many hours double checking everything.
I'll also try wiht one ram stick.

Beyond that there either has to be a PSU issue or a MOBO issue.

PLease if you can suggest other wise why I would see my BIOS once for 10mins and then never see it again can you tell me.
May 10, 2009 10:53:26 AM

Checklist:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-build-post-...

Disconnect everything from the motherboard except the CPU and HSF and case power switch. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

It will look something like this:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.ht...
You can turn on the PC by shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes on.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to successfully POST (generally a single short beep).

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.
May 10, 2009 11:25:40 AM

Have you put in the 4 or 6 pin CPU power plug it's somewhere beside the CPU and it has to be in for the CPU to have enough power to run, if not have you checked the your CPU is in right. have you checked on the mobos site if there is a bios update, have you checked if the mobo actually supports the CPU, have you checked the watt's required for your system including everything, and btw what were you editing in the bios. the bios might have had a feature that updated the settings on the fly without saving so you can try them out ? and the CPU power connector is actually 8 pin but you can use a 4 pin in it like in my system, (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Image/motherboard_p...) link to your mobo image. and oh btw is your ram ddr2 or ddr3 coz the board supports a high frequency for ddr2 at 1355 mhz which you might have mistaken for ddr3 ? get back to me this is interesting to slove. and if you find out your board need a bios update to run you cpu like mine did i would recomened if you have a simple old-ish cor 2 duo to use in it to update coz on my mobo a t2rl dfi bloodiron, i couldnt use a celeron cpu lol it was just to "crap to be used in a board like that. so ya get back to me if anything ?
May 11, 2009 9:40:59 AM

Problem with the beeps part is that my chassis has no speaker so I can hear nothing. Didnt forsee that getting the case (antec900)
Anyway i breadborded the system removing everything unnecessary and booted. Still same issue. All power connectors are perfect and installed.

We had initially thought it was the PSU but I bought an OCZ 600w steathstream and I cannot find any faults with this device via reviews online. All

reviews rave about the PSU.

Then removed all 4 memory mods and installed one at a time...I could not belive it...

If I install a memory stick into any of the 2 RAM lines furthest from the CPU the board constantly restarts but if I put ANY module into the 2 RAM lines

closest to CPU then it boots to BIOS perfectly. I rotated though every memory stick in every slot and the results seen are consistent so its not the

memory itself. I guess this suggests the MOBO is shot?
May 12, 2009 12:18:16 AM

It could've been a bad lot of boards. By in large, Gigabyte has excellent boards. I'm also real careful about forum reviews. There are a lot of people that blame the hardware right off the bat.
!