Laptop cooling fan question

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
hello.
I have a dell laptop with an intel cpu which is currently in the shop for repairs.
the technician told me that the cooling fan is completely worn. Now I do strain my laptop on a daily base but I’ve noticed something.
Previously, I had a hp laptop with turion x2 cpu, now every couple of months, I had heating problems, taking it to the shop, repasting the thermal compound and cleaning the fan did the trick. both computers have endured the same strain in the same environment.
Now, I know amd cpus needs better heat dispersement, but can it be that intel fans worn down more easily then amd fans in laptops?
Another thing, when I talked to the technician, he said that whoever build the computer when I bought it didn’t removed the plastics of the gpu and chipset that comes on them when they are sent from the factory in order to safeguard it. Now can that be related to the worn down of the fan in any way? Is it possible that the fan tried to vent down the heat for other parts beside the cpu?

You should get a can of air and just keep the fans clean more often so you do NOT have to bring it in so often.

The fan has nothing to do with Intel vs AMD. It depends on the fan the manufacturer decides to use.

Depending on how the laptop is setup the fan could cool the cpu and gpu(not often some integrated gps do not even need a fan). Most times they have a fan for each.

It also depends on the working environment...... laptops are designed to be mobile , so I guess, there is a degree of roughness they can take...... to tell you the truth I have never come across a fan wearing off...... it's like unless the stuff got sand blasted or something of that sort...... 80% fans either clog and slowdown 10% Burnout and the rest just jam up because of bad manufacturing QC.
I would suggest, even without knowing you working environment..... to avoid placing the laptop ...... on your lap while you work..... or then to avoid soft material under the laptop since those are the places from where the intake fans work..... suck in the air and the dust, use the canned air trick regularly. Check for a plastic net... if it is still there inbetween the fan and the intake vents.... if not.... open it and put one in.... as far as the GPU is concerned.... they have Heat exchanging copper fins at the bachside of the laptop, thats where you need to use a water color brush, soft , thin and long...... Nope plastic??? where?? between the cpu and the heatsink??? nope...... it's a myth..... and the plastic would melt at startup itself....... you'd not have a fan burnout..... you'd have a fried Processor.....