What is a good 24'' monitor. Is dell good?

jerohmeee

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Hey guys! So here is my deal here. I was planning to build my first computer. Right now I have a 4 year old dell xps and its time to upgrade!! I want to build my own for 1. save money!! and 2. it sounds fun!!! I was planning to build a pretty pwnage rig and do a little somethin special... get a new Samsung ultra thin 55'' HDTV and use that monster as my monitor!! This set up would cost me roughly 6k dollars lol. I already use my 32 inch 720p as my monitor and love it but want a higher resolution and a even bigger screen. BUT today there became a huge bump in my master plan

I went into my new job today to sign the tax papers and I found out how much I am getting payed. Yea.... um wayyyyyyyy less than I thought I would be getting ha! I wanted to cry :cry: So basically getting a 6k dollar set up is out of the picture! But I still do not want to be playing crysis at 720p so it looks like I will be going back to the ole monitor days :(

I am looking at a 24'' 1920x1200 I went on Dell's site and saw one of these guys UltraSharp 2408WFP 24-inch

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6272

Basically what I am asking is what is a good monitor? Who makes good monitors? Should I go 24'' or maybe get a 26'' cuz I am so use to my 32''. I do sit further back using my 32'' No way could I use this 32'' on a conventional desk i'd go blind! So yea any tips???? I would be going back to a conventional desk with this monitor sooooo yea.

Oh, also what are some specs I should look for in a good monitor? I want a kick ass monitor here. Not going cheap. :non:

I have a Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP, and I love it. The color is amazing, and in general, it is one of the best looking monitors that I have seen. It is second only to the 30" IPS panels.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I think there are some Dell outlets or something, not sure if they do monitors too. I personally have a Dell monitor and I love it too. It's startup time is quick and the colours are amazing.

james129

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I just got a dell s2209w for $179 shipped. It is 1080p and for the price it is absolutely amazing. The picture is crisp and vibrant. I also have a friend that has 2408wfp and it is also a very nice monitor. I dont think that the quality difference justifies the extra $300. There is also the s2409w for $279 which might be the best price to performance and size choice. Oh and i know that best buy stocks some dell monitors. They have a few but no where close to the full lineup.