Help? Dell Poweredge 1800 - RAM UPGRADE

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Dell
Last response: in Memory
October 28, 2009 5:34:20 AM

Can some one help me?

I need to upgrade my ram on Dell Poweredge 1800. I currently removed one 512MB. part Samsung M393T6450FZO-CCC PC2 - 3200R. I MUST HAVE A REGISTERED MEMORY UPGRADE FOR MY SERVER. I WOULD LIKE TO GET2X2GB TO REPLACE. I AM USING WINDOWS XP. THANK GUYS. ANY ONE??

More about : dell poweredge 1800 ram upgrade

Best solution

a b } Memory
October 28, 2009 7:36:35 AM

You cannot remove one module - you have 6 slots, each pair of 2 slots must be filled to work properly. PC2-3200 is 400MHz RAM. You can add PC2-3200, PC2-4200 or PC2-5300 but as long as the PC2-3200 is in the system, all new RAM will run at that speed. If you replace the old RAM, do so with PC2-5300. But there's no reason not to just add more memory rather than replacing. You don't mention whether you use WinXP 32-bit or 64-bit - with 32-bit you'll be limited to 4GBs of RAM available even if you havd 6GBs or more. And even with 4GBs, all won't be shown, only about 3.3GBs usually.

You can search for compatible memory at a site with a configurator, like Crucial's. Here's the output for the search I did - note that all the recommended RAM is ECC/Registered.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Power...

Most retail/online sellers don't carry much Registered or ECC RAM products due to low demand for them. I couldn't find the Poweredge listed at other config sites I tried. You might be best off getting those listed from Crucial - the prices are not out of line for the type of product.

Here's a list of "server memory" from CDW that includes some Registered modules - limited to those from Crucial and DDR2. Only those listing registered are good for you:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/Results.aspx?wclss=M4&Br...

October 30, 2009 10:14:02 AM

Thanks. That's Great.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
October 30, 2009 10:19:32 PM

Hey, glad to help. (he he, I got a "Dude, you're Awesome!" comment once that still makes me smile!

The reason you can find this high-performance RAM from Crucial is that they are the only RAM manufacturer that directly markets their products. Crucial and Lexar are owned by Micron Technology, one of the few actual RAM manufacturers - Samsung is another and ???. Most server and specialty RAM is marketed by non-consumer companies that you don't find at mass-market retailers.
m
l