Battery out of power on desktop?

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
This is kind of a weird one. I've had two shutdowns because of my battery not having any more power, on my desktop. Once in Vista, once in Windows 7. Both times I was playing a game, and had the screen go dark, (DVI no signal message from monitor) and upon restart, I was given the option to resume and that my system was shut down because the battery was low. This strikes me as odd.

I do have a UPS with a battery backup. So I'm sort of suspecting that, however the things I came up with as diagnosis have problems with them.

1-the built in drivers in Vista and Windows 7 are glitchy, and it thinks The UPS is out of power and the session needs to be saved and put into memory. However, UPS units are common, and my installs of both are really recent, so it seems sort of unlikely.

2-That the battery needs to be replaced in my UPS. However, the UPS has an indicator light to tell me if the UPS battery needs to be replaced.

3-That my power supply stopped working properly, and it was running off battery power, and it legitemately needed to save the session. However, when I rebooted, Windows told me the battery was fully charged.

4-(Probably the most probable cause) The battery in the UPS is dying, and it's glitchy power input/connection is telling the OS there's a problem and it's shutting down thinking the battery is out of power.

These are my guesses as to the problem, but I'm not sure, I'm going to dust out my case, except I don't think it's heat related (needs to be done anyway, eliminates a potential cause) particularly because it claimed the battery was dead and my session needed to be saved.

I'm at a loss people, anyone have a good idea what's happening?