Storage capacity

ANKIT313D

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
hi,can u please tell me..the ways i can increase my hard disk space or....some other alternatives...like external storage.etc.....as my harddrive is nearly full....

Solution
If you want to install a new drive into your computer it's pretty simple as long as you have the right cables from your power supply.

You simply buy an internal drive, screw it in place (probably next to your current hard drive), and then plug it in.

If you have an old computer it's probably using IDE which is a type of hard drive that uses ribbon cables (like floppy drives so). IDE drives also take 4-pin molex power connections.

Newer computers will be able to take SATA drives, which uses a small (and normally red or black) cable for data, and a small cable for power.

What make and model computer are you using? I'll be able to tell you what you're compatible with and then how to install it..

acer0169

Distinguished
Simply buying an external hard drive would be the easiest option if you don't want to have to open your computer and install another hard disk.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174844
^^ This is a very good external drive, and will add another 1000GB of storage space to your computer.

You can also remove old System Restore points to save on space as this often takes A LOT of room unless configured otherwise. To remove old system restore points right click on your local disk and go to properties, then disk cleanup.. once it's done working out what you can remove there is a tab for "more options". From that tab, there is an option to delete all but most recent restore point and this can save you no end of space.

System restore can take up to 100% of your disk space unless configured otherwise. I believe by default this should be at 10%, but that's not always the case. I've removed 40GB of system restore points before.

acer0169

Distinguished
If you want to install a new drive into your computer it's pretty simple as long as you have the right cables from your power supply.

You simply buy an internal drive, screw it in place (probably next to your current hard drive), and then plug it in.

If you have an old computer it's probably using IDE which is a type of hard drive that uses ribbon cables (like floppy drives so). IDE drives also take 4-pin molex power connections.

Newer computers will be able to take SATA drives, which uses a small (and normally red or black) cable for data, and a small cable for power.

What make and model computer are you using? I'll be able to tell you what you're compatible with and then how to install it..

Solution

ANKIT313D

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I think it's an ide type...(ribbon cables r there)..
motherboard..asrock 775i65gv
bios version:p2.00
release date;3/20/2006
rom size-256 byte
......CPU.......
INTEL pentium 4
2.66 ghz(64 bit supported)
sockets:p4 sockets
current speed :2660 Mhz.....
RAM-256+512mb
HDD:SAMSUNG 80 GB.......
.....thanks for ur help....