Asus Rampage Gene II or Maximus Gene III ?

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Please note that both of these motherboards are Micro ATX sized Motherboards. They both are not in a standard ATX form size so they are much smaller than the standard ATX motherboards. Anyway, I hope that the micro atx size is fine for you. I never buy a micro ATX motherboards and so far as I know, most people would use a standard ATX sized motherboard instead.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007

Nope that wont work buddy. I7 920 is a Socket FCLGA1366
That motherboard is a Socket LGA1156

Socket layout for the I7, I7 Extremes, I5 are as follows.

I7 Socket FCLGA1366 - 920, 940, 950, 960
I7 Extreme Socket FCLGA1366 - 965, 975

I7 Socket LGA1156 - 860, 870
I5 Socket LGA1156 - 750

All information came right from the source at intel link below.
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/index.htm?iid=desk_nav+proc

Also if you go to Asus website and you click on socket 1366 the maximus gene III
isnt even listed because it dosent support the I7 1366 processors.

You can see that from the link below on asus website.

http://www.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m

And to answer your question I bougt the Asus Rampage Extreme II and I like it.
The Gene II I have seen many reviews on it but if you where deciding between
the two boards in your post then it has to be the Rampage Gene II because the
other one wont work for that I7 920 because the socket is different.

I hope you didnt purchase it already.

patodoom

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
which one is better? the maximus III or the rampage II? i dont care abt the cpu i jst need a high-end gaming rig and a long life cycle (in case i need to upgrade in the future)?? please a quick reply will be great

Maximums III is a P55 motherboard and Rampage II is a X58 motherboard so it depends on the CPU you want to use,the advantage of X58 is that it supports future 6 core CPUs but P55 is cheaper and has a better price/performance ratio(For now)
But please make a new thread and ask your question there(not in others topics)

There is no "BETTER" comparing both boards, it all depends on the CPU you purchase. Both boards are Top Notch for gaming, if you are going to use only one GPU then get the Maximus III, if you want a dual GPU setup the get the Rampage. It's as simple as that......

patodoom

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

well thats all i wanted to know...anyway i got the rampage II gene and am broke because of all the other parts...thx frnd..9800GTX+ SLId thats why i got a rampage II gene