yzdirtrider13

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Basically, i need a mobo, CPU, PSU, RAM, and GFX card for $500.

SYSTEM USAGE: Photo editing, Gaming, watching movies, web browsing, word processing, etc.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:[/b] don't care - can probably get some used.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No brand prefferences

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, just to get the most out of what i buy.
CROSSFIRE: no

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I would prefer quad core, as it looks like more games and software will start taking advantage of this. Correct me if i'm way wrong, but I am pretty sure this is the way i want to go. I've always owned intel, but AMD seems to be much cheaper ATM.

I have several cases, although they are very old and won't be the best for cooling. I'm open to recommendations for those also.

Denedbuns.jpg

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
That is a nice recommendation...except the gpu....that is not the best gpu for anything above 1280x1024 or 1440x900....so other then that it looks AWSOME!!!! nice picks :D

So OP tell us your resolution and we can choose a graphics card from there....it would be a smarter choice to set your rig up with a strong processor so you can your editing and watch movies whilst you save salary for a week or two and get yourself a gpu for your resolution than...

Also without a gfx card in your system for that first week or so you don't need a super well cooled case....thus you can save up for a case AND a card as well...

Well the way i see it the HD4770 is so close to HD4850 and my cleints do 1650 x 1050 gaming on those outside Crysis on that so i dun think for the money its a bad choice really hehe Agree though if OP is on 1920 x 1080 :p

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Your right and iv ran my 9800GTX+ which is in the same range of performance as well on my 1680x1050 monitor quite alot...it can run most games just fine on high settings but with no aa or af....some people just want to have aa and af...im not one of them though but this guy may be.....and not to mention 19xx/1xxx monitors are quite popular these days so its likely he has one of those as well...

We will just have to see :)

yzdirtrider13

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
my res will be 1920x1080 for photo editing, etc. but i don't expect to game at that. I might actually go with an 8800gts, i can get a used one from a friend cheap.. unless you steer me otherwise