Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Black Ice GT Stealth 360 Radiator? X-Flow? Loop Order?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2011 12:32:28 PM

I want to get a Black Ice GT Stealth 360 Radiator to cool an MSI 570 and Intel 2500k. I don't know whether to get the normal version or the X-Flow. They have the EXACT same price. The normal one has both G 1/4 ports on one side, but the X-Flow has one on each side. I will not be using a reservoir, just a T-line. I have an NZXT Phantom case. I don't know what order to put my setup in (pump, cpu, etc.). I'l be having a t-line, CPU, GPU, pump, and a radiator. ANy help? With the loop order, and which radiator is better?
March 5, 2011 12:55:01 PM

The 360 won't fit on a Phantom. I'll get a 240.
m
l
March 5, 2011 1:38:50 PM

A Black Ice Stealth series radiator is a high fin density radiator. You're going to need some high flow and high pressure fans for it to work optimally. These are not quiet.

A 240 radiator will not be enough to cool a GTX 570 and a 2500K, especially when overclocking. (I assume that's in store since you've got a K variant) You'd want closer to the equivalent space of a 240 radiator for each component.

Please take the time to read and understand these:
Tom's HW WC Sticky
OverClock.net WC Sticky
Xtreme Systems WC Sticky
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2011 2:04:50 PM

I can also use the 240mm radiator I have right now. It's from an XSPC 750 RASA
I think it's an RS240.
m
l
March 5, 2011 2:11:36 PM

Would an RS 240 and a 240mm Stealth be enough? What loop order should I create?
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 9:23:45 PM

You don't want a crossflow rad.

BIX rads have high FPI, you'll need high CFM fans if you use them.

Loop order doesn't matter as long as your pump isn't sucking air. Usually res > pump helps eliminate this when filling and priming a loop.
m
l
March 5, 2011 9:36:27 PM

Okay, I'll stick with a normal rad.
m
l

Best solution

a c 328 K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 6:07:49 PM

Crossflow rads aren't very common anymore due to their lower performance for the same size rad. Crossflow/X-flow rads are easy to identify due to their in/out ports being on opposite sides.
March 6, 2011 6:17:01 PM

I know how to spot one. I won't be getting one then. Okay, so would an XSPC RS240 and a Black Ice 240mm radiator be enough to cool an Intel 2500K and a GTX 570? Which Black Ice radiators are the best? What fans would you recommend?
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 8:07:37 PM

Quote:
Okay, so would an XSPC RS240 and a Black Ice 240mm radiator be enough to cool an Intel 2500K and a GTX 570?

Yes.

My question is why the BIX rads vs. something else that is cheaper and doesn't require jet turbine fans?
m
l
March 6, 2011 9:21:31 PM

I thought they were supposed to be the best. Would another XSPC rad be good?
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 11:02:13 PM

XSPC rads are great for the cost, Swiftech rads are good price/performance as well. I guess it depends on your budget. Either of these choices would allow you to run lower CFM fans and give good performance. BIX rads are good; don't get me wrong, but the are typically 21-30 FPI designs which require high static pressure/high CFM fans to push enough air to get the most out of them.

Just a consideration...I'm not saying to not use them, I just wasn't sure if you realized how dense the fin spacing was and with low CFM fans, you'd likely be unimpressed with performance, vs. higher CFM fans, or other rads with larger fin spacing.
m
l
March 6, 2011 11:10:30 PM

Okay, I'll look into an XSPC Radiator. Would 2 240mm rads be anough for a CPU and GPU? By the way, price isn't a problem.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 11:32:57 PM

Quote:
Would 2 240mm rads be anough for a CPU and GPU? By the way, price isn't a problem.

Yes. You could get by on a single 3x120 if you really wanted, but I think I remember that size not fitting your case.

Edit: for clarification...

240 = 2x140 or 2x120? In the case of the XSPC rads, they are 240, 260 but all for 120mm fans, I believe. Typically, a basic rule for rad sizing in a forum is 220 = 2x120, 240=2x140. It doesn't help when manufacturers confuse things with different model numbers that don't necessarily correspond to the rad's actual size.
m
l
March 6, 2011 11:40:44 PM

I have 1 dual 120mm radiator already (XSPC), and I might get antoher one.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 12:15:25 AM

They are good rads; but most rads are these days.
m
l
March 13, 2011 11:59:16 PM

Best answer selected by humanage.
m
l
March 19, 2011 10:57:17 PM

humanage said:
The 360 won't fit on a Phantom. I'll get a 240.

by my measurements with some corrections (cutting the edge of the 120mm fan cases, take out 3 screws and cut a bit the inside of the wite panel) on the top it should fit. So it would be possible putting 3 120 mm fan on the top of the two fan holes, take out the 180 fan. Under the holes there is the space to put a 42 cm long radiator (a 360 radiator).

For who doesn't know we are talking about nzxt phantom case
http://i.neoseeker.com/neo_image/180838/article/nzxt_ph...
a view from the top

Then here:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

I read that the stealth should work with low flow. It says:
Custom low-profile 19.0 x 1.2mm MaxFlowâ„¢ tubes with 15% more waterside surface area and 60% frontal area reduction for superior low air-resistance aerodynamics and lower internal flow requirements.
Still you think there are other better with low water flow?
I would like a rewiew about radiators :-)

About the dimension:
120 mm width x 120 mm lenght. if it's a 240 means that the surface that gets airflow is 240 mm long and 120 mm wide.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
March 20, 2011 12:58:31 AM

@qiplayer-

I'm not really sure what your post was about...were you giving some info on how to mount or...? Your ...they really won't post together.

X-flow rads really aren't used anymore due to dual-pass rads being so common...and with good flow rates and more cooling ability. Also, more dual flow rads these days are thicker...most of the x-flow rads are older and thinner.

Review on radiators.] or an Review on radiators." alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
March 20, 2011 1:40:39 AM

rubix_1011 said:
@qiplayer-

I'm not really sure what your post was about...were you giving some info on how to mount or...? Your ...they really won't post together.

X-flow rads really aren't used anymore due to dual-pass rads being so common...and with good flow rates and more cooling ability. Also, more dual flow rads these days are thicker...most of the x-flow rads are older and thinner.

Review on radiators.] or an Review on radiators." alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

I fixed the link.
I might choose a xflow because I can place it in a better way with the rest of the tubes.
As posted before the stealth xflow doesn't seem bad. It seems a new one, xflow is jus a version of the other.

Cheers." target="_blank">

I fixed the link.
I might choose a xflow because I can place it in a better way with the rest of the tubes.
As posted before the stealth xflow doesn't seem bad. It seems a new one, xflow is jus a version of the other.

Cheers." alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" target="_blank">

I fixed the link.

Cheers." target="_blank">

I fixed the link.

Cheers." alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
!