Possible New System Build Feedback Please

grey36

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I recently just gave my desktop away to my brother for his birthday, and now I’m stuck with my laptop—which is a fairly powerful one—but I still cannot really enjoy games like I used to on my desktop. So, I am thinking about building a computer primarily for game purposes, but I have never built a computer before and I am not the most computer literate person in the world.

So, someone was kind enough to put together a build for me based on the information I gave him/her below, and I am just trying to get some feedback.

What I have:

I already have an 8800 GTX graphics card (which I might upgrade later), and an X-Fi Soundblaster card.

Anyway, I am looking to get the “most bang for my buck,” and I hoping to only spend around 500-750 bucks if I can build something pretty nice for around that price (if not, I’m somewhat flexible). I don't plan on overclocking and I’m not really interested in crossfire.

Here’s what he/she came up with:

Case:
Antec 300 - $54.95
Power Supply:
Corsair 550VX - $93.99
Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 - $119.99
Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-P31-ES3G - $62.99
RAM:
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 800 - $47.99
Hard drive:
Western Digital Caviar 320gb - $54.99
CD/DVD:
Samsung Black 22X DVD+R - $24.99
Monitor:
Hanns•G 19" - $109.99
Speakers:
Logitech S-220 Multimedia Speaker System - $23.99
Keyboard/Mouse:
Logitech PS/2 Standard Deluxe - $12.99

Total cost: $606.86
After rebates: $586.86

Everything sounds great to me (especially for the price), but I was just wondering what anyone’s thoughts are on this build. I don’t want the most “elite” desktop ever, but I am concerned about performance and primarily durability issues (I don’t want anything to fry on me). So, any feedback would be great because I am seriously getting ready to make the purchases relatively soon. Thanks!

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Great post Animal!!

I knew as i started reading this thread i could expect some form of an e-overclocked dual core :sarcastic:

Yes definitely going with that AMD system would yield so much more power its just crazy...the 720 overclocked rivals and beats the e8400-e8500-e8600

OP why don't you look at the prices for those cpus ;) not to mention these new amd phenom II cpus are newer....thus will be in production longer....thus won't cost and arm and a leg when you try to upgrade to a quad core in 2-4 years ON A DEAD LGA platform.....

grey36

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I am not as familiar with AMD processors, but I will definitely take a look at what you linked (as well as the motherboard and monitor).

Also, thanks for linking a more powerful power supply that costs less!

You guys are a ton of help and you are making my decision about what to get much harder, but that's a good thing!