Building New System - I don't know how to connect anything

soakinit

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I'm a total newbie. I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Anyway, I bought a Case with 3 fans (all with multiple white three or four prong connectors). Since the fans have multiple connections, I assume some are male, some female.
Here is my build:
Proc: Intel E8400
Mobo: Asus PQ5 Pro
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500
Graph: XFX geforce 9800GT
4 gb mem

I have two questions about plugging in the devices. One, how do the case fans plug in? They don't seem to be compatible with the mobo, and I'm not sure if the cpu has enough plugs. Do the case fans plug into each other in some way, or are some of the plugs supposed to be left dangling? Also, the mobo came with some grounding connectors (for front controls (white) and usb (blue) and a red one that I don't know what the hell it's for. Anyway, am I supposed to plug these into the motherboard before I plug in the front controls and the usb connection? Does this make sense? Obviously I am in way over my head. At least I managed to attache the mobo and cpu/sinkfan and memory. They are resting in the case comfortably while I struggle with connecting everything.

Thanks in advance for any help I might receive.

soakinit

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
To add insult to injury, this forum wouldn't allow me to post this in the "new Build" subsection. I don't know why. Hopefully someone will find me here. Try not to laugh at my ineptitude.

the case fans will have 4 pin molex connectors . They connect to the power supply

look for tutorials on line . Head to google and search " how to assemble a computer "

print what you need as a guide .
There are really stupid people who successfully build computers and you are clever enough to ask for help so it isnt going to be a big problem for you

PS read the mother board manual a few times and follow the instructions carefully

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You didn't list your case. Makes it hard to look up.... My case's fans all needed MB connectors, some case's fans come with 4 pin molex connectors that use 12vdc PSU connectors.

As to your front panel connectors, your MB manual should have a connection guide. Usually your front panel connectors will be labeled... ie pwr, pwr gnd (possibly just a - sign) reset, AC97, Firewire, USB, whatever applies. Do not get firewire and usb confused! Sonetimes this can lead to USB ports prematurely failing... (as in immediately)! LED's can be plugged in incorrectly with no damage. They just won't light. Pwr and Rst leads don't matter as to polarity. USB and firewire are keyed, one way only connection (with the caveat above).

So mostly you will not 'blow things up', but if in doubt just add a question to the post.

You DID use nine standoffs, matching the nine holes in your MB, right???

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Just keep in mind there is wikipedia, google, youtube, tomshardware, maximumpc, etc...

Also if you have any old PC's, take em apart, experience is the best way to learn!