Sign in with
Your question

Way Around Capped Internet

Tags:
  • Internet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
August 18, 2009 10:42:15 PM

My awesome apartment complex advertised to us students that they had high speed internet. Well, for the month or so of me living there I could download things at over 8mbps. They have since capped our internet at around 750kbps. I know that the internet is capped per IP address.

I asked a buddy of mine about a way to get around the cap. He suggested getting a dual NIC off ebay and an internet switch. Using those and pfSense, he said that I could configure my connections to get double the speed (more nics, more speed).

This all sounds great and I plan on going for it, but I just want to ask you guys if there are any other ways around a cap.

More about : capped internet

August 18, 2009 11:33:29 PM

Not sure their is any viable alternatives beside bribing the tech so he would remove your cap. As for the dual-NIC thing, it might not be as great as it seems; I know there are limitations due to the way such system works.

For once, even in theory, you would end-up with 2x750kbps, not 1500kbps; the nuance is subtle. You would be able to download 2 files both at 750kbps, but not a single file at 1500kbps. From the remote computer's perspective, you would be 2 different systems and it wouldn't make sens to send half the packets to one and half to the other. The IP protocol doesn't support that, it would work only if an additional layer was added.

Moreover, I think under Windows all your outgoing traffic is always "marked" as coming from your primary IP address, therefore all download "reply" would come back to the same IP.

I'm no sysadmin, I might be wrong, but that is what I think.
m
l
August 18, 2009 11:47:46 PM

Thank you for your input Zenthar.

The friend of mine who suggested this works for an ISP that takes care of a ton of college-town apartments and dorms. He said that using the pfSense software it would combine the maximum bandwidth from both connections and consolidate them into one.

Before I do anything I need to check my apartment lease and maybe bribe somebody as Comcast :)  Yay for small town internet.
m
l
Related resources
August 19, 2009 12:08:12 AM

Aoster87 said:
Before I do anything I need to check my apartment lease
Good point there, make sure that "circumventing" the cap doesn't throw you out on the street ... the internet there is pretty crappy I heard ... then again:

m
l
August 19, 2009 12:12:56 AM

Nah I'm not checking it so I don't get thrown on the street, I am checking it to see if they have an actual bandwidth posted in the lease. Sweet picture by the way lol.
m
l
!