How many card on i7 940 cpu

hello i want to upgrade my current machine i want to know what is thethe best ultra end graphic card i can put in sli/crossfire on my core i7 940 cpu i have gigabyte mb its supports both sli and crossfire so i dont mind if its ati or nvidia (still preffer nvidia)
10 answers Last reply
More about card
  1. The current fastest single-slot video card is the Nvidia GTX 295.
  2. Second best Radeon HD4870X2 2 GB.
  3. ^ it depends which games you play, as in some the 4870 X2 will come out ahead of the GTX 295, and by a good margin as well.
  4. sorry i just noticed that my qustion is worng i ment how many cards can can i put on the cpu(sli\crossfire) without getting bottle neck effect
  5. Quad SLI and Quad CFX will run just fine, although you'll want to overclock to take advantage of the full potential.
  6. the sweet spot is 2 or 3 high end single design or depending on budget 3 sli or tri sli gtx 285 or crossfire or trifire 4890 but the amount of cards depend on your screen(s) and size not so much on your cpu
  7. Without the real estate, Multiple cards won't scale above single card solutions, as they will have no work to do.
  8. thats only for power hungry dictators with goverment funds
  9. OP - I belive this article should be in great interest. Guru3D compared 2x, 3x+ Crossfire and SLI scaling across chip types. This appears to go straight to the heart of your question.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/1
  10. JofaMang said:
    Without the real estate, Multiple cards won't scale above single card solutions, as they will have no work to do.

Agreed. I wouldn't even consider more than a two GPU setup (two actual GPUs, not a pair of dual-GPU cards) unless you're running at a minimum of 1920x1080 (16:9) or 1920x1200 (16:10).
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Crossfire