Front panel HDA/AC'97 connector doesn't reach header! ??

pneumagger

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Well, it does fit if I have the cable run straight fron the front panel to the back lower corner of the board... but that looks hideous and then when I add the large video card, it's got alot of tension. Case is an Antec 300 Illusion and the MB is an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO. Basically, the furthest possible you could get a front panel header from the front panel. :??:

Anyways, do they make 10-1 pin extension cables?

I found a bunch of 10pin ribbon cables I could use as an extension - can they handle the load and will the pins match up @ both ends?

Could I just use a USB2.0 10 pin extension? The only one I can find has poor reviews... but that is for USB performance... I only need it for front audio/mic.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5778/cab-93/12_10-Pin_Internal_USB_20_Extension_Cable.html

--------------

Also, due to the bottom PSU location and use of an OCZ 600w modular PSU, I have to get a +12V 4 pin ATX extender cable to make it look half decent.
But those are easy to find.

So far, all the cable are hidden away neatly except the 4X SATA, +12v ATX 4 pin, and 2X 6-pin PCIe cables.
Should look nice when I'm done. :sol:

What about running the audio cable under the motherboard?

The audio cable carries low level audio signals, so it is not a matter of a ribbon cable carrying the load. The problem with the ribbon cables are that they are not shielded.

hawkender

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I am experiencing the same problem. Pneumagger, what cable did you end up getting (I pm'ed you also)? Or if anyone else has any more cable suggestions that would be great.

eric418

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Although both AC97/HD-Audio and USB headers are 9-Pins (5x2) but actually the pin assignment is different. For your reference:-

USB Header
ihec-usb3.jpg

AC97/HD-Audio
ihec-had5.jpg

TRENDING THREADS