Sign in with
Your question

Front panel HDA/AC'97 connector doesn't reach header! ??

Last response: in Components
August 13, 2009 3:25:39 PM

Well, it does fit if I have the cable run straight fron the front panel to the back lower corner of the board... but that looks hideous and then when I add the large video card, it's got alot of tension. Case is an Antec 300 Illusion and the MB is an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO. Basically, the furthest possible you could get a front panel header from the front panel. :??: 

Anyways, do they make 10-1 pin extension cables?

I found a bunch of 10pin ribbon cables I could use as an extension - can they handle the load and will the pins match up @ both ends?

Could I just use a USB2.0 10 pin extension? The only one I can find has poor reviews... but that is for USB performance... I only need it for front audio/mic.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5778/cab-93/12_10-Pin...

--------------

Also, due to the bottom PSU location and use of an OCZ 600w modular PSU, I have to get a +12V 4 pin ATX extender cable to make it look half decent.
But those are easy to find.

So far, all the cable are hidden away neatly except the 4X SATA, +12v ATX 4 pin, and 2X 6-pin PCIe cables.
Should look nice when I'm done. :sol: 
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 16, 2009 2:14:11 PM

pneumagger said:
Well, it does fit if I have the cable run straight fron the front panel to the back lower corner of the board... but that looks hideous and then when I add the large video card, it's got alot of tension. Case is an Antec 300 Illusion and the MB is an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO. Basically, the furthest possible you could get a front panel header from the front panel.

I found a bunch of 10pin ribbon cables I could use as an extension

Could I just use a USB2.0 10 pin extension? The only one I can find has poor reviews... but that is for USB performance... I only need it for front audio/mic.

What about running the audio cable under the motherboard?

The audio cable carries low level audio signals, so it is not a matter of a ribbon cable carrying the load. The problem with the ribbon cables are that they are not shielded.
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2009 5:26:15 PM

Well, I got an extension and ran it in the compatment on the other side of the motherboard. Looks clean now.
Thnks guys!
m
l
September 4, 2009 4:11:33 AM

I am experiencing the same problem. Pneumagger, what cable did you end up getting (I pm'ed you also)? Or if anyone else has any more cable suggestions that would be great.
m
l
February 1, 2012 2:06:53 PM

Although both AC97/HD-Audio and USB headers are 9-Pins (5x2) but actually the pin assignment is different. For your reference:-

USB Header

AC97/HD-Audio
m
l
!