Corsair CWCH50-1 for Apevia X-Qpack 2?

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I run the Phenom II x4 965 OC'd to 3.7GHz, and the stock cooler keeps it around 40-45 idle and 50-57 ingame. I haven't noticed instability, but from what I've read that seems a bit high. Don't be afraid to tell me otherwise though; I don't need my system to be super-cool, just safe.

Anyways, the problem is that I'm using the Apevia X-Qpack 2 Micro-ATX case. It's a nice case in many ways, but according to many people it has very low clearance for aftermarket heatsinks. Looking for a good replacement, I came across the Corsair CWCH50-1 water cooler. My questions are:

A. Should it fit? The manual of the case states that the cooler shouldn't exceed something like 67mm in height.
B. Will it work? From what I've read, it seems to be compatible with pretty much any/CPU. I don't want to have to do very much maintenance, or any case mods.

It just seems like a perfect too-good-to-be-true situation. I don't mind the price. Am I missing something in regards to compatibility? If so, what are other "good" coolers that should fit?

Thanks!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
H50 is pretty much junk. H70 is a better choice, but still expensive for the actual performance. Both the H50/H70 aren't actual watercooling, but simply a self-contained liquid cooler that mimics what a real watercooling loop does. Some will argue this is watercooling due to the pump, coolant and radiator...I disagree. These are LCS that are factory sealed and basically meant to be 'dummy proof' with no user service needed.

For persons thinking their CPU cooler needs to be upgraded due to high temps, they should first determine if they have good case air flow for the temps they are seeing now. Regardless of the cooler you install, any great cooler will be crippled from poor case airflow.

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Alright, but I'm not sure what I can do about airflow. The case is small, and has 1 80mm intake fan in the front with a 120mm exhaust fan. I've tried to organize the PSU wires as neatly as I could.

Another option I've considered is the Scythe Big Shuriken
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-185-129&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=phenom+ii&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

I believe someone stated that they fitted it into my case easily. However, will this cool down the CPU better than the stock AMD fan?

Before getting either the H50 (rebranded Asetek LLC550) or H70 (rebranded Asetek LLC570), I'd read this:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=694&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=4

Though also made by Asetek, Asetek does not have a comparable unit that they are selling. The Kuhler 620 is based on the LLC550 but includes several design modifications which have resulted in a huge performance increase. The Kuhler 920 (based on the LLC570) was also shown at CES in January but not in the retail channel as yet.

it's also rather inexpensive compared to the other two

http://store.antec.com/Product/cooling-cpu_cooler/kuhler-h2o-620/0-761345-77085-9.aspx

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Alright, but I'm not sure what I can do about airflow. The case is small, and has 1 80mm intake fan in the front with a 120mm exhaust fan. I've tried to organize the PSU wires as neatly as I could.

This is your biggest problem, not the cooler. That Big Shuriken would do quite well, but again, if you don't have cool air for a cooler to pull in to cool a CPU, it isn't going to help much. If you were going to use the H50 and mount the rad/fan over the 120mm fan, you'd essentially be either blowing warm air from the rad into the case, or blowing out causing some issues with airflow.

What case do you have that only has a 120 and an 80??

I believe someone stated that they fitted it into my case easily. However, will this cool down the CPU better than the stock AMD fan?

Yes...IF you had good airflow. I don't know what vents are on that case, but more info would be helpful.

Your BIGGEST issue with temps isn't the cooler, its poor case airflow choking your CPU cooler and keeping hot air in the case.

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

It's the X-Qpack 2 Micro-ATX case. If it's bad airflow, what am I supposed to do about it? I'm not really willing to go out and buy a new case for this, so I assumed my best option would be an aftermarket cooler. I'm not really getting horrible temps, and I haven't had any problems with locking up or instability, I just want to get it a few degrees cooler.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You could upgrade your fans to higher CFM fans to move more air in and out of your case. If you don't have issues with modding, you could also add vents or another fan.

I guess it depends on your budget; if you consider getting the H50/H70, you should also consider some better case fans and even some better fans for the radiator. By the time you go this route, you could've purchased another case. Again, modding is a possibility to add more fans, if that is something you are willing to do. We can figure something out, just need to know which route you want to go.

Babalugats

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I recently decided to tear down my old full-size rig and squeeze as much of it as I could into an Apevia X-Qpack case. I also wanted to eliminate my aging (and leaking) Corsair Hydrocool 200EX ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hands-water-cooling-systems,836-4.html ) but continue watercooling at least my CPU. I had previously seen and installed a CWCH50 in a rig that I had built for a co-worker and I thought the case and the cooler would make a perfect match.

Long story short, I got the X-Qpack and the CWCH60 (lower profile pump) and got to work. I immediately realized that while the 120mm radiator fan was a perfect fit, the radiator itself was larger than the fan and would not fit inside the case. No matter which way I turned it, the top/bottom of the radiator protruded 1/2" or so beyond the outer edges of the 120mm fan and would not clear either the top of the case or the power supply.

So my options were to either cut/drill the top or side of the caselid and mount the radiator there or try mounting it externally somehow. So I opted to mount externally as this route would...

1.) require the least ammount of time, work and case modification
2.) maintain as much factory asthetic appearance as possible and
3.) decrease inside case temperature while increasing radiator cooling capability

I cut two 1/2" notches out of the top edge of the motherboard tray for the inlet and outlet lines coming off the bottom of the radiator, ran the mounting screws through the 120mm exhaust fan mounted on the inside of the case to the radiator mounted on the outside of the case. It works like a champ and looks great!

If you would like some more information or would like to see pics, just let me know. Good luck with yours!

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hah, thanks for the advice, but a while ago I just stuck everything into a CM690 II advanced case with a few extra fans, and my temps have been perfect since. Your modifications sound awesome, but I'm not too handy with power tools. Thanks for the input either way!