Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 Questions about reducing heat in your system ...

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2011 10:51:32 PM

Ok First is :

Is there any Specific thermal compound that will significantly (a.k.a 5 degrees or more) reduce the amount of heat coming off you processor ?

Second is :

I have the Hydro 50, what is the best setup for 2 fans on the rad ?

Since the hydro 50 only came with 4 long screws, i added motherboard risers ( which are the same thread as the ones on the rad and used small motherboard screws) and attached them to the rad, then attached a Back fan (This is blowing air out of the case and is attached in the back 120mm fan) . Then on the other side, i attached another 120mm fan blowing in the same direction as the back fan, which effectively is sucking air directly through the RAD and out the case.

Setup looks like this as of now:

| X | : Case fan blowing out :
[==] : Rad in position showing in manual
| X | : Case Blowing out ( Same direction as Back fan)

So I basically Sandwiched fan, rad, fan.

My question is , is this the appropriate way to put the fans ? Both sucking air out ...

Best solution

a c 107 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2011 11:59:31 PM

1. 80-way comparo A+ results (the ones at the bottom of the chart are best)

2. Sounds like you did the standard push-pull setup -- one fan pushing air into the rad and one fan pulling air out the other side. However, you may actually see better CPU temps by reversing the flow. Sucking cooler outside air in works better for the CPU, but heats up the rest of the case slightly.
March 6, 2011 1:34:33 AM

cool cool good info ... I have the Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower case and it currently has 3x 230mm case fans ... 1 on top (air out) , 1 in front (air in) , 1 on side (air in) , then the 2x 120mm sandwiched on the RAD (air out) , then another 140mm fan in the front (air in) .... higher up (almost at the top of the case) ... I was also thinking about replacing the 120mm bottom fan i removed to use for the RAD. (air out)...
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2011 9:19:35 PM

Best answer selected by rollaballinc.
m
l
a c 147 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2011 7:13:30 AM

Some points on cooling:

1. thermal compound does not reduce the amount of heat from a CPU. the difference in compounds is how evenly it's distributed (to prevent hot spots) and how it degrades over time. proper application is probably the most important factor; most people tend to use too much which then causes the thermal compound to act as an insulator not a conductor to the heat sink.

2. Heat flow in computers has two main components:
#1. Quickly removing the heat from hot components (larger heat sink and fan)
#2. Proper air flow through the case (maximum cooling for minimum noise)

Here is an EXAMPLE of a properly cooled computer:

FAN#1 - 120mm case fan. Constant, low RPM. Front-Bottom of case.
FAN#2 - 120mm case fan. Constant, low RPM. Top-Rear of case.
FAN#3 - 120mm CPU fan (plus large CPU heat sink). Speed is VARIABLE and controlled by the motherboard (BIOS settings). Position is INLINE with FAN#2 to prevent eddies in air which reduces efficiency.
FAN#4 - Graphics card. VARIABLE. controlled by graphics card circuitry. Some air may be vented directly through the rear. Most or all remains inside the case and requires proper air flow to remove.
FAN#5 - PSU. VARIABLE usually. controlled by PSU circuitry.

All the components make fan placement difficult, but in general you want cool air to come in the bottom front and hot air to be removed from the top rear. It's interesting to note that you can MASSIVELY increase case cooling with minimal effect on certain components such as the CPU whereas slightly increasing the cooling with a better heatsink will cause a HUGE difference in the CPU temperature.

It's really about proper balance. In general, two low speed 120mm fans is sufficient for even a gaming system to remove hot air.

It's important to note that HOLES or fans that are not properly aligned with your air flow can actually REDUCE the cooling effect.

The most ANNOYING fan problems are:
1. buzzing due to failing fans or smaller, higher speed fans
2. changing noise levels
m
l
March 7, 2011 11:10:07 AM

noise isnt really that bad even with 7 fans running ... and i should have more then enough cooling .... its just the air is getting trapped and has no where to go .... i am going to build a stand that puts the back of the pc even with my window so that the air will go directly outside
m
l
a c 147 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 14, 2011 1:05:45 AM

I saw a really awesome case and I'm trying to figure out what brand it is.

Anyway, this case which is NEW has two or three large fans at the bottom and heat exhaust at the top. Basically it is at 90-degrees to a normal case but the air flow works much, much better than a normal case.
m
l
a c 147 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2011 2:16:47 AM

Hey, that's it!!
Kinda cool, I think.
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2011 3:17:25 AM

I'd buy it, but it's too damned expensive. That design makes much more sense than other designs as far as thermals go.
m
l
a c 147 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 16, 2011 4:29:16 AM

What would be really, really awesome is the following two things combined:

1) NVidia Optimus:
They started with laptops to iron out the bugs. Basically the graphics cards are turned off COMPLETELY when not needed. You'd need a new motherboard and new graphics cards. (Optimus laptops have two graphics chips: one basic and one NVidia chip.)

2) Modular PC:
Basically you stack like a stereo. I envision a main PC for basic tasks to which you can add an external box. I would have that box contain the Graphics, CPU, and RAM and its own optimized power supply.

The external box could turn on and off using Optimus technology, however now we've got a second, faster CPU in there as well. This has SEVERAL advantages:
- any supported PC can simply purchase a new addon box and plug it in
- power and noise (optimized power supply, heatsink directly exposed to external air)
- compact, no wasted space
- perfect concept to use with laptops/netbooks
- the external box CPU, graphics and RAM are optimized (in fact a single "APU" combining both chips would work best)
- should be designed to add a SECOND BOX even if it's not the same (get rid of SLI and Crossfire)

You'd think PC gaming is dead, but MICROSOFT has a huge investment in a little program called Windows and Linux (such as Google) could easily kill Windows. Computers are quickly approaching the $100 mark and with other devices many people will bypass spending $100+ on Windows and get a basic Linux PC.

Actually Microsoft has a HUGE conflict. If the next X-Box adds in support for Keyboard/Mouse gaming they help eliminate PC gaming. If they don't then it's something the Sony PS4 can easily do (actually the PS3 already supports the hardware, only the game devs need to add in support which could be done with a patch).

If the next X-Box fully supports keyboard/mouse gaming, then how would Microsoft convince you to game in their console AND continue PC gaming for which Windows is required?
m
l
March 16, 2011 6:32:36 PM

photonboy said:

You'd think PC gaming is dead, but MICROSOFT has a huge investment in a little program called Windows and Linux (such as Google) could easily kill Windows. Computers are quickly approaching the $100 mark and with other devices many people will bypass spending $100+ on Windows and get a basic Linux PC.

I think that is quite a leap of faith you're taking there. The people in forums like this might agree with using Linux but the vast majority of people are going to continue to use Windows or Mac to do all of their computing. That isn't going to change unless Linux starts getting bundled with a mainstream company like Dell or HP.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 16, 2011 7:22:25 PM

You also have to consider that developers will only develop on a platform that makes money. Even though overall market values are slipping some, the largest piece of the OS laptop/PC/netbook pie is Microsoft. Granted, mobile platforms are gaining ground, but this also requires users to buy new hardware. Until there is a viable swing in computing platform and OS, you will continue to see apps typically developed only for those with the largest potential to turn a profit.
m
l
a c 147 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2011 11:07:25 AM

I'm talking mainly about PC gamers switching to use the next-gen console instead of the PC if the consoles support Keyboard/Mouse etc.

For example, why spend $1500+ on a gaming PC if a $400 console such as the PS4 does an amazing job of games like Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3 etc.

I'm a PC gamer, but other than gaming I mainly surf the net and use e-mail and these are things that can be done elsewhere pretty easily.

Again, I'm referring specifically to PC Gaming and the question as to whether a Windows PC (or a PC in general) will be something many people need when they can e-mail, surf the web and game on non-PC hardware.

It will take several years but Microsoft is in a really tough spot in the long run (5+ years) especially competing against Google. They've already shown that all the portable devices are slowly taking people away from PC's.

(the experts agree that web sites are going to eventually be optimized so they can be viewed on an HDTV and navigated with a remote control. Eventually all HDTV's will have built-in Internet using some form of Linux such as Google TV as the OS)
m
l
March 17, 2011 10:15:36 PM

because pc's d0way more then gaming ... like video editing .... downloading ... better graphics ... watch movies ... basically anything u want ... and you not limited to using a controller ... you get a mouse and keyboard .... also this about ways to reduce heat in a pc not about gaming ...
m
l
!