Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
hello everyone i need little help here

i just see that on either everest or CPU-Z that my Q9550 core voltage is 1.50V
on bios i set auto for overvoltage setting and enable C1E and speedstep
is that normal ?
since from what i read 1.30V is the normal voltage

the weird things is after i restart it back to 1.30V
the good things is i didn't see the CPU overheating (the temp around 60C)

hope people that know about this especially overclocker can help give me more information
sorry for being paranoid

thanks in advance!

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Voltage 0.85V – 1.3625V

that is the accepted voltage from Intel. 1.5 is.... well... doable but not for stock. you need to go into your bios and set 1.36 volts and see the highest FSB you can achieve (if you overclock) or go into core temp and see what your VID is and set it to that. auto on voltage = SUCKS.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

No doubtman... turn the Auto OFF!!

I usualy start my OC fun @ 1.4 V and keep lowering as much as possible to get the lowest V while still being stable.

Ok, there seems to be huge misconceptions on Intel's VID settings listed on the CPU page. If you look closely at the Intel docs you will notice that ABSOLUTE MAX voltage for 45nm is 1.45v NOT 1.3625v.

See: http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/318726.pdf
Page 19

Absolute MAX is defined as the point where actual harm to the CPU can occur. You should be below this for safe every day Ocing. The Intel voltages listed under VID are the possible voltage range AT STOCK. NOT when Ocing. At any rate, if CPU is kept cool you can go above 1.45v assuming you will upgrade in 2-3 years.

slyphnier

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
thanks for the reply everyone

i didn't do any OC and i using default setting for the bios (all on default "auto" for voltage setting)
it said the VID is 1.25V on the bios and cpu core voltage on auto setting is 1.20V

i don't know whether the Everest/CPU-Z miss read the voltage or not (from what i read CPUZ not 100% accuracy) but i still monitoring this PC
right now the CPU core stay on 1.312V
and for other Voltage
+3.3 V 3.25 V
+12 V 11.77 V
+5 V Standby 4.92 V
VBAT Battery 3.06 V
3.3V Dual 3.25 V
North Bridge Core 1.32 V
DIMM 1.50 V
GPU Vcc 3.24 V

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83627DHG (ISA 290h)

if the voltage goes high again, i think no other way than set it to VID voltage
i will post the update ASAP (tomorrow by late) thanks alot for the information everyone!!

^No problem. Glad I could help. (Don't worry, you aren't the only one who was confused by Max voltage vs VID) At any rate, like me and overshocked had said many times, for normal use it's fine to go above 1.45v providing you have good cooling. By the time CPU dies you'd be over due for an upgrade. However, if you need 24/7 use with high reliability it's best to stay below the Max VID listed by Intel. My guess is assuming good temps you could hit 4Ghz at 1.42-1.46v on that E5200.

slyphnier

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
i figure out that the Core voltage setting goes higher because NVIDIA control panel saved at 1.35V (my mobo using nforce 790i ultra chipset) though i never changed the value

when i am creating new profile, the default value is 1.15V
i guess this the one messing with my cpu core voltage, right now i set to 1.15V ^^
the weird things is that it wont use the profile i created & save

tvalleau

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
bumping an old thread, I know, but this seemed the right place for this question:

re all the advice against auto V... (forgive the noob, but) why? (I'm good with it, just trying to learn.)

I've a GA-EP45-UD3R mobo with a Q9550 that I've OC'd to 3.67 as 432 x 8.5. I know I can take it to 440 or perhaps higher, but after reading this thread, I decided to go back an look at my setup, and saw that I have V set to "auto." (and "turbo" enabled.) Perfectly stable, but running at about 50c at idle and 60-62 pushing everything to 100%.

So, just taking a poke at it, I turned off turbo, and killed the auto, setting voltage to 1.30.

Umm first thing I notice is that my idle is now 48c not 50c.

So: anyone care to explain what's with that, so I can learn, and quit asking noob questions? :)

TIA... if anyone is still listening!

slyphnier

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008

i dont think setting auto at bios wont be an issue
afterall most bios will have auto settings as default value

imho the only things become issue, if for person want stable v rate
especially for people doing extreme OC, which variable rate can cause system stability

regarding this thread, after a years or so, i realize it is not bios fault
its Nvidia system tools software, that so buggy and sometimes messing with voltage
(my system using nvidia 790i ultra chipset with ESA support, so with nvidia software i can tweak bios value from nvidia control panel)
since that, i uninstall nvidia system tools and only use driver only, and got no problem anymore with voltage and temp
voltage is variable with 1.2v (speedstep enable)
temp is around 48-55

Status
Not open for further replies.