enarchay

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I currently have Cool'N'Quiet disabled, but I just noticed that my heat sink is a little noisy. According to Speedfan, the heat sink fan is running at 5017 RPM, while the CPU is at 40c.

My question is if I should turn on Cool'N'Quiet. I don't know much about it, but I've heard that it can decrease performance, and decrease CPU life over time. Is this true? Should I use it or not?

Another option would be to just turn down the fan speed in Speedfan. But I don't know how low I should set it - it's at 100% right now. Would you recommend changing the speed in Speedfan and if so how low?

Thanks.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
yes. it does not effect your overclock regardless of what some of the gurus might say and it really does impact your electricity bill. AMD wins in idle, not load power requirements.

and no it does not decrease anything but your temps and electricity bill.

conclusion: use it!

enarchay

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I notice that when I turn Cool'N'Quiet on, my Core Speed goes down very much. Is this because I'm running simple processes? Will it speed up when it needs to? Is it safe for the Core Speed to jolt up and down like that?

Also, I have another question. Does Cool'N'Quiet affect the heat sink fan speed at all, or is that just Smart Fan?

Hi, the Cool'N'Quiet is for low use of the CPU...I explain you, isn't the same use your CPU for games that use for word and msn. The only thing that the cool'n'quiet do is down the power consumption of your CPU when you surf on internet or work in excel or word. The problem is that with this activated, you don't do overclock...

But used, is a good option for down the power consumption.

loneninja

Distinguished
I quit using cool n quiet and started adjusting my clock speeds manually with K10Stat, my computer seemed to think something as simple as watching a video in VLC was enough reason to clock the processor up when it's not.

By the way, cool n quiet works just fine with overclocks, at least it did for me.

Alter-Divide

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Hey I'd like to use K10stat but I don't want to damage things either by setting the wrong volts high or low; I have a gigabyte m61pme-s2 and an Athlon II 240; I'd like to use K10stat to underclock my CPU to 800mhz at idle but I don't know what voltage I should use. Someone please help;