Biostar Motherboard and GTX 280 Problem

daveyt69

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Now I'm not new to this but try as I might I can't get my BFG GTX 280 OC2 to work with my Biostar TA790GX A2+. I get the card to power up with the green lights showing but my motherboard has 2 LEDS to show if the card is owrking correctly and I can only get one to light up. Any ideas ?

Just a suggestion, but if the card works in another MB, perhaps go in to BIOS and disable the onboard graphics and be sure the PCIE is set as first device. Check BIOS options onboard video ATI 3300 in the MB manual onboard video.

daveyt69

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Cheers mate.

Have turned off the onboard graphics but still can't get it working. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the BIOS setting for 'GPP Slots Power Limit' but can't find any information on what I should set it to. I don't feel comfortable with experimenting with this, getting it wrong and recking either my motherboard or card. I've asked Biostar but they have not responded to my 2 emails.

Is there a setting for 'PCIE as primary video' or something similiar. ASUS American Megatrends (AM) BIOS is fairly clear about this sort of issue. Have you tried simply defaulting the BIOS. Reinstalling the card? Maybe BIOS is not picking the card up in the I/O correctly.

daveyt69

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Interesting.. I see were you are going. However the motherboards BIOS is showing this: PCI-GFX0-GPP-IGFX (Default) which makes me think that the PCI express is the default.

I've been reading the manual a bit but it is as clear as mud as to what the correct settings should be. I may have to experiment a bit with the wattages accross the PCI express slots.

daveyt69

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
My old 6800GT and my mates 8800GTS all work fine. The card itself gets the green lights to show that is powering up but the motherboard on has one of the 2 LEDS lit. The Motherboard manual says this is a VGA error.

If other cards work fine I would look at the 280 possibly having a problem or an inadequate PSU. Also, if you have a DVI to VGA adapter, try plugging in to the VGA side of the monitor iwith the adapter. Use the VGA input of the monitor. Not the DVI input of the monitor.

daveyt69

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Okay tried a different monitor both VGA and DVI and no luck.

I'm begging to think I need a new motherboard. I've a 5200+ right now but will want to update later on to a quad core phenom (probably). Any ideas for about £80.00 that will cover both the gaphics card and the processor upgrade.

Sorry for the scatterbrained post but i'm at my wits end with this one.

daveyt69

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Yep got that little sucker installed. CPUID states the master slot is running at x16 so I'm a bit stuck.